ADVERTISEMENT

Mainland vs St.Edwards

21-14 St Ed. Mainland defense not playing like one of the best

St Ed's. 47 Mainland. 28
St Edward's exposed a season long troubled area with Mainland, that being the forward pass and the close coverage needed to neutralize it. Too many receivers were running free, and confusion lead to some easy scores. In fairness to the coaches, who at times were dumbfounded at the openness of St Ed's receivers, I'm not sure they have the personnel to do a whole lot about it. Outside of QB Houston and RB Killins this Mainland team is way down on speed at both sides of the ball. It's probibly most glaring at DB and WR. There's no Deion Sanders back there to recover while the ball is in the air. Or a burner wideout to get much separation. Good thing is there are no St Edward's in Mainland's path to a 6A title. And that is where this solid Mainland team will refocus and go forward. We'll all get over this disappointment, the Bucs got bigger aspirations then Saturday's learning experience.

Nu'Trelle only watched a few minutes of the stream, but saw exactly what Daytona Dan mentioned. Mainland's secondary was being beaten badly. Also, St. Edward's OL was doing a pretty effective job of neutralizing Mainland's rush. Not a good combo if you're the Buc's DC.

Neutral was once in Lakewood Stadium. Went there while on vacation in 2006 to see Nate Oliver, a Sr. St. Ed's DB who had committed to Ohio State. The Eagles who are part of the Catholic League North were playing Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller, a powerhouse in the Catholic League South, in their annual intrastate showdown. St. Ed's won 17-7 in what looked very little like a HS contest, as either team's starting 22 could have matched up physically with the average small college.

All-State as a Jr. and Sr, Oliver signed with OSU and was red-shirted his freshman year. Never a starter, he lettered for 4 years as a back-up safety and special teams player. In his senior year, OSU went 12-0, but lost in the National Championship game (UF 41, OSU 14).

If you want to know about St. Eds. just envision STA in Fort Lauderdale, only older in tradition and even more firmly ensconced in the local football landscape. If a player in the greater Cleveland metro area is considered a sure-fire D-1 prospect, supporters of aggressive Catholic League HS's such as Lakewood St. Ed's and Cleveland St. Ignacius will pursue him until the end of the Earth.

Of course, no one in the Cleveland area recruits, so we're all supposed to believe that entire hordes of D-1 players all show at places like St. Edward's due to "magic", "cosmic energy" or some other inexplicable force of nature. ROTFL.

My hat is off to Mainland. They traveled by bus 1000 thousand miles to play a national elite team. To anyone that has never traveled out of state with a high school team, it is an experience that you never forget. It takes it's toll when flying 1000's of miles. I can't imagine what it is like to travel that far by bus. I know what over night road trips are like and I loved them. I also know that it takes it's toll after 2 days on a bus.
Again, Mainland has my total respect from one athlete to another and from one coach to another. You guys rocked. I'm even going to make Mainland my favorite for the playoffs.

Last edited:
My hat is off to Mainland. They traveled by bus 1600 thousand miles to play a national elite team. To anyone that has never traveled out of state with a high school team, it is an experience that you never forget. It takes it's toll when flying 1000's of miles. I can't imagine what it is like to travel that far by bus. I know what over night road trips are like and I loved them. I also know that it takes it's toll after 2 days on a bus.
Again, Mainland has my total respect from one athlete to another and from one coach to another. You guys rocked. I'm even going to make Mainland my favorite for the playoffs.

A bus?.. Why not fly?? If they had no money, they KNEW the perils of a long bus ride.. Mainland may be better served by playing in state and local.. They are lucky the score was not worse. But, at least they gave it a shot and maybe St Eds' will come to Fla and play them again for another perceived win..

A bus?.. Why not fly??
Marvelous idea. Why didn't Mainland think of that?

If they had no money... they KNEW the perils of a long bus ride...
You're right. Money could have been a slight problem given round-trip team airfare in the $20-25,000 range.

Mainland may be better served by playing in state and local.
Bingo! Definitely one of the most intelligent remarks Drummer61 have ever posted here!

They are lucky the score was not worse. But, at least they gave it a shot
Drummer is saying St. Eds showed mercy. Praise the Lord and pass the chicken.

...and maybe St Eds' will come to Fla and play them again for another perceived win..
Or maybe St. Eds' will be smart enough to stay home and merely wait for more victims to arrive by bus?

A bus?.. Why not fly??

You're right. Money could have been a slight problem given round-trip team airfare in the $20-25,000 range.

Bingo! Definitely one of the most intelligent remarks Drummer61 have ever posted here!

...and maybe St Eds' will come to Fla and play them again for another perceived win..
Or maybe St. Eds' will be smart enough to stay home and merely wait for more victims to arrive by bus?

You must thank me for breathing life into you...No tears or any excuses when you play with the big boys in OOS competition.. 28-4 against OOS.

A bus?.. Why not fly??

Also, just so you know, St Eds has flown to Fla and won,flown twice to Jersey and lost... BIG TIME HS FOOTBALL !!!!!!!!

PRO FOOTBALL FOR HS KIDS!!!!!!!!! NOTHING LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW DID HS FOOTBALL SURVIVE BEFORE THE ADVENT OF USA TODAY & THE AIRLINER????????????? YOU ARE DEFINITELY A GENIUS ... AND HUMBLE TO BOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drummer you must have missed the thread on why they had to ride a bus instead of fly which was initially planned... Honestly I would not have played the game but I completely understand why they did and will be a benefit to them in the end...

Dude don't care! He's in it for post count and to honk for that gloryhole St. Brasco.

Yeah, Druckstick, you ain't no troll. You ain't going to post in here much...... aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.

Hey, I got time. I'll give you undivided attention. Mainland is a regular school, gave that Ho school all it wanted after 1600 miles AND home cooking.

Bottom line, Mainland should have known better. Every time Florida gets invited out, something goes wrong with the logistics. Everytime one of these Ho schools comes to Florida, they want to play a duck.

Y'ALL CALL HERE LOOKING FOR A GAME TO LEGITIMIZE YOURSELVES, BECAUSE YOUVE CORRUPTED THE WEAK ASSED GAME IN YOUR STATE THROUGH ASSEMBLING ALL THE TALENT ON A FEW TEAMS (HO SCHOOLS.) MEANWHILE, SCHOOLS HERE, TRYING TO CREATE A LASTING MEMORY FOR THE KIDS, GET CHEATED OR RIPPED OFF BY THE PRODUCERS. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED, BUT YOU'RE NOT, BECAUSE YOU WILL PROSTITUTE YOURSELVES AND YOUR KIDS IN ORDER TO FEEL LIKE YOU ARE CLOSE TO PLAYING THE LEVEL OF BALL THAT WE PLAY HERE ON A WEEK TO WEEK BASIS. YOU'RE PATHETIC, NEW JERSEY, AND YOUR STATE STINKS LIKE INDUSTRIAL WASTE.

He knows I'll whip his ass like a rented mule. Cause Dubstep61 got no game, just troll the losers and knob job catholic school football.

HE DONT WANT NONE, SON.

He knows I'll whip his ass like a rented mule.
Right on, bro. Everybody here know how nasty you is once
you get that look in your eye ... your good eye, that is.

2138.jpg

Reactions: blackpopsicle
BP and Nu'Trelle,
I love your guys passion for normal ball but that ain't what floats some posters boats. What they want is a talent poor HS game that is a was been, to play one of their pimped up talent rich schools so they can say "we told ya we are better".

Drummer, Mainland was booked to fly to Eds to play but the promoter skipped town and now has legal issues. It was a 2 day ride for Mainland because they didn't punk out of a deal made by an incompetent promoter. Eds put up the cash and was expecting it to go like it did with Cocoa only from what I hear it cost more than expected for Cocoa to make the trip so the promoter bailed. Mainland, Cocoa, and Eds were none to blame. The game was originally to be between Cocoa and Mainland. Eds needed 2 games and went looking. When they found Cocoa and Mainland playing each other with the next week off the Eds connection was made. The losers were both Cocoa and Mainland for getting suckered in by a normally dependable promoter. What should have been an excellent Florida game between to border county teams became a nightmare for both teams. Judson playing with cracked ribs and not able to throw more than 15 yards without real pain and Mainland getting railroaded by a shifty promoter. Lets not bring in the refs, they get paid to look closely at the visiting teams side of play. They let certain close calls slide for their team but call it on the visitors. It's is already known. Example... Cocoa with over 60 yards in penalties, and at least 3 drive killers. Eds not getting the flag even one time... yes, not one flag. I'm no ref but I seen 3 holds that were right in the area of the football that were missed calls on Eds that should have been called, one resulting in a TD. Sour grapes? Yeah, probably. I just hope Cocoa stays home from now on unless someone wants to come play them in Florida. Cocoa will play anyone... even IMG, because the kids want to play the best teams the school can schedule.
For what it is worth... Cocoa is 1-0 vs one of NJ's elite teams.

...Lets not bring in the refs, they get paid to look closely at the visiting teams side of play. They let certain close calls slide for their team but call it on the visitors.
That's the way it has always been, home refs, home cooking. They have to stack the deck, because they care more for the win than the game.
I just hope Cocoa stays home from now on unless someone wants to come play them in Florida.
That's what we've been sayin, man.
Cocoa will play anyone... even IMG, because the kids want to play the best teams the school can schedule.
At the detriment of how many schools in Florida, and the game. Don't play IMG. ITS BAD FOR THE GAME.
No offense, but what y'all do with whores is of no concern to me.

BP and Nu'Trelle,
I love your guys passion for normal ball but that ain't what floats some posters boats. What they want is a talent poor HS game that is a was been, to play one of their pimped up talent rich schools so they can say "we told ya we are better".

Drummer, Mainland was booked to fly to Eds to play but the promoter skipped town and now has legal issues. It was a 2 day ride for Mainland because they didn't punk out of a deal made by an incompetent promoter. Eds put up the cash and was expecting it to go like it did with Cocoa only from what I hear it cost more than expected for Cocoa to make the trip so the promoter bailed. Mainland, Cocoa, and Eds were none to blame. The game was originally to be between Cocoa and Mainland. Eds needed 2 games and went looking. When they found Cocoa and Mainland playing each other with the next week off the Eds connection was made. The losers were both Cocoa and Mainland for getting suckered in by a normally dependable promoter. What should have been an excellent Florida game between to border county teams became a nightmare for both teams. Judson playing with cracked ribs and not able to throw more than 15 yards without real pain and Mainland getting railroaded by a shifty promoter. Lets not bring in the refs, they get paid to look closely at the visiting teams side of play. They let certain close calls slide for their team but call it on the visitors. It's is already known. Example... Cocoa with over 60 yards in penalties, and at least 3 drive killers. Eds not getting the flag even one time... yes, not one flag. I'm no ref but I seen 3 holds that were right in the area of the football that were missed calls on Eds that should have been called, one resulting in a TD. Sour grapes? Yeah, probably. I just hope Cocoa stays home from now on unless someone wants to come play them in Florida. Cocoa will play anyone... even IMG, because the kids want to play the best teams the school can schedule.

cat and peezy, you are correct and I was wrong in jumping.. Promoter skips and that messes up everything, bad.. Good for Mainland, too bad they were beaten by a superior team, but again they did not bail out.. Respect !!!

Not sure if Mainland was ever going to stop the St. Ed's offense, but one call against the Mainland team early was very questionable and killed a huge momentum swing. Ed's jumped the confused Buc's 14-0 real quick. Mainland battled back to make it 14-14. But they got a deadball foul after the score. Mainland kicks off on their 25yrd line and scoops up an Ed's fumble and runs the ball down to their 4yrd line. First and goal Mainland to take the lead ? NO. Refs huddle up and rule Mainland player " Ran out of Bounds/ Not Pushed out " and got into the play. Think the call was "Illegal Participation." Don't think I've seen that call much in high school ball. Have heard that video shows Mainland player " Being pushed out of bounds" therefore he can legally return and get in on the play. Whether that effects the outcome can be debated. But at the time of the game when things were heating up for the home team that call was HUGE! Mainland then kickoffs from their 20 or 15 yrd line ( could have been a double foul ). I was so pissed not sure where the ball was kicked. You judge if that one call mattered.... Mainland also kicked off to start the game. They fumbled, we recovered. Player ruled down with no visible ( from my seat ) control of the ball ever established. Jambun, not blaming the ref's. It's all about judgement. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn't. Mainland didn't get a lot up there.

Daytona Dan: Any man your age - after traveling 1,600 miles on social security money - should have at least been give a decent chair. If you couldn't tell if they kicked from the 20 or the 15, they musta put your a$$ somewhere out in the parking lot. Was there any damn buses between you an the field???

Before Nu'Trelle forget, while you was up there, you didn't run into that Drummer guy, did you? He woulda been wearin green and gold. How about jambun82? He woulda been wearin black & white with yellow flags and a whistle.

Neutral Observer and Dan, I am not concerned with High School Football Officiating in the state of Ohio, only in Florida. However, that call by the officials for illegal participation was the correct call if the Mainland player did indeed go out of bounds on his own. If he was pushed out of bounds, as long as he re-enters the field of play immediately, that is not a foul, and if that was the case, the officials got that wrong.

... I am not concerned with High School Football Officiating in the state of Ohio ...
This is probably why you and blackpopsicle don't see eye-to-eye on much anything. You don't care about bad officiating in Ohio; whereas blackpopsicle obsessed with it EVERYWHERE. Man can't even shop at Foot Locker. If he did, major news networks everywhere would have to send satellite trucks to cover the aftermath.

Let's pray he do not go the the mall, walk into the wrong store an go off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT