ADVERTISEMENT

Mainland 41 Matanzas 0

Dan in Daytona

Nov 20, 2008
So much for the battle of two undefeated district rivals. Mainland started slow, after a 14 day layoff, and lead at the half 14-0 on a couple long TD run by QB Houston and RB CJ Wilson. Very quickly the 2nd half turned into a running clock affair. Defense played lights out and the offense continued scoring at a record setting pace for the season. Don't mean to underestimate or degrade the Buc's final two regular season opponents ( NSB, Seabreeze ), but that pair isn't at a high enough level to help Mainland properly prepare for the playoffs. It is what it is. Look out 6A, monster coming at you...

You gonna lock horns with dem Bulls this year, Dan.
Darter, that's a distinct possibility in the 3rd round. Would that be like going from the pan to the fire ? In the year of "political correctness" though, let's take the games one at a time, please. Not every team can run the table on numerous occasions like your beloved Blue Darters. Titles don't come easily for us "also ran's." Peace, my Apopka brother....

Darter, that's a distinct possibility in the 3rd round. Would that be like going from the pan to the fire ? In the year of "political correctness" though, let's take the games one at a time, please. Not every team can run the table on numerous occasions like your beloved Blue Darters. Titles don't come easily for us "also ran's." Peace, my Apopka brother....

There is one advantage to playing Northwestern or Carol City. You have not played Northwestern ever and Carol City recently, if ever. Therefore, regardless of ability, there is no "monster" to overcome. So psychologically, I think this may be better.

Regarding Apopka, the defensive front is looking porous as for the second time in as many games a back gnashed it for a lot of yards. In the Wekiva game, he was aided and abetted by a really nice offensive line that mostly had its way with our defensive front four. In fact were it not for some good play by our secondary, we would probably be sitting on a loss now.

Reactions: peezy28
Only think I can say about Carol City is they are a replica of does Central team that gave Mainland fits... 2 headed monsters a rb.. Big physical oline (not quite as MC) and a phenomenal defense!!!! Does Mainland come down here this year?

Only think I can say about Carol City is they are a replica of does Central team that gave Mainland fits... 2 headed monsters a rb.. Big physical oline (not quite as MC) and a phenomenal defense!!!! Does Mainland come down here this year?
Zoe, I don't think so. Last year CC beat MC for the district, right ? MC traveled after beating CC in 2nd round of playoffs because they were the runner-up. Mainland would have gone to Traz Powell if CC beat MC last year in the playoffs. CC or MNW both come to Daytona in round three unless Mainland is a runner-up in playoffs. And my man, That Ain't going to happen :)

Reactions: peezy28 and Zoe Boy
you both should be worried about the two Indian river schools .8a Vero Beach and 6a Sebastian river.
Well "Truth" it's like this. Darter and I are long time fans of two of the better football programs in all of Florida. We don't worry who Mainland or Apopka plays on any given week. We get to the games early, sit up high, relax, and wait to be entertained. Win, lose, or draw, we go home. Both coaching staff's, of these powerhouses, have been in place for more then a decade. They look past NO OPPONENTS. Darter and I were only "speculating" about a "possible" 3rd round Buc/Bulls match-up. We mean no disrespect to any team, playoff or not. As the saying goes....one game at a time. IMO, for what it is worth, 6A Mainland is better then 6A Sebastian River, and 8A Apopka is better then 8A Vero Beach. Maybe we will find out, or maybe we don't....to be continued...

Reactions: peezy28
Mainland has a far better QB than Sebastian. but where else are they better than Sebastian? Vero beach is a team who scores points fast on the ground and in the air. apk has had problems with teams built like that in the past.

Well when this vero beach staff and team gets past the 2nd round of the playoffs then maybe they'll have something to worry about. Until then just let them play it out. Same for Sebastian. If you think mainland would play Jensen beach to a 7-0 game pass me whatever it is you're smoking.

Reactions: Milquetoast
jenson beach only had 67 toyal yards of O from scrimmage. palm bay heritage had 110 total tards and 55 of it was from a fake punt.

Fantastic. They scored 7. Count it 7 on a fumble return against a so so 6A team. The defense is legit. But the O is too suspect

Fantastic. They scored 7. Count it 7 on a fumble return against a so so 6A team. The defense is legit. But the O is too suspect
they also returned an int for 6. fishy officiating on the call back. I just started following this team. from what I have seen this is the most physical high school football team that I have seen this year.

a really good friend of mine has a kid that plays on that team. so I may be a little on the fan side you can say. but this teams keeps knocking people out the game. in 6 games 6 knock outs. 7 if you count the kickoff classic.

No argument to that here aside from what will stop mainland from doing the same with better athletes. If you can't get any semblance of a passing game with 9-10 in the box the playoffs will be daunting. As a football coach on the treasure coast for the last near decade, I don't drink the kool aid until they can do something of promise. The best team they have played to date is okeechobee. Not saying they can't compete but until they play some higher caliber teams it's hard to give them merit. Much like vero, a gaudy regular season record every year only to never make it out of the 2nd round in Coach J's tenure.

I don't think that Sebastian is worried about mainland being more physical than them. that D is just plain out nasty. but they play with in the rules. if you touch the ball they will knock the crap out of you. since Sebastian has got those two transfers in from deland they look totally different as a team.

Mainland has better athletes than everyone Sebastian has played to date especially Jensen beach. That's what I meant. listen man if you're on the Sebastian bandwagon by all means root for them. I like Pettit he's a hilarious human as well as decent coach. But if you're going to compare a team that routinely makes it to the semis to a team that barely sniffs the playoffs then I don't see how we have a discussion. I mean the player last season to the tune of a 35-3 mainland victory. I will say however I'm looking forward to a Sebastian river victory over vero beach this year

Hey Dan, glad to see you made it through the storm.

I was really hoping to see Cocoa and Mainland square up. Maybe next year?

Reactions: Silver King
Hey Dan, glad to see you made it through the storm.

I was really hoping to see Cocoa and Mainland square up. Maybe next year?
You too Cat (storm recovery). I'm advocating for a couple Cocoa/ Mainland matchups. And to steal your description, the winner will be the Beast on the Eastern Front.

Reactions: Silver King
Mainland has better athletes than everyone Sebastian has played to date especially Jensen beach. That's what I meant. listen man if you're on the Sebastian bandwagon by all means root for them. I like Pettit he's a hilarious human as well as decent coach. But if you're going to compare a team that routinely makes it to the semis to a team that barely sniffs the playoffs then I don't see how we have a discussion. I mean the player last season to the tune of a 35-3 mainland victory. I will say however I'm looking forward to a Sebastian river victory over vero beach this year
last year has what to do with this year? how hard is it to beat pine ridge, NSB, seabreeze, Matanzas and Deltona? this year is my focus.

this year alone Sebastian has knocked out more than 10 players in eight games. this year Sebastian has 8 kids on the D with D1 offers. if the RB came back to the d it would be 9 this year. last year is last year. mainland has 3 total kids with D1 offers this year. Pettis don't mess around and mainland knows that. he did beat mainland 26-0 in the playoffs if you want to talk about the past.

The_1truth, what problems did you have with the officiating
take last night. Sebastian was flagged for targeting a defenseless player last night. it was a D linemen running over an o linemen. or them telling the players they couldn't hit the qb during a option play but wouldn't say it to the coaches. but the Sebastian sideline just started laughing every time they threw a flag after the 1Q. they gave up 19 yards rushing and 28 passing.

take last night. Sebastian was flagged for targeting a defenseless player last night. it was a D linemen running over an o linemen. or them telling the players they couldn't hit the qb during a option play but wouldn't say it to the coaches. but the Sebastian sideline just started laughing every time they threw a flag after the 1Q. they gave up 19 yards rushing and 28 passing.
The_1truth, what problems did you have with the officiating
SR had an OL get his helment ripped off right in front of the ref. the only thing that happened was the SR OL got hit in the eye by the refs flag then got flagged for illegal participation.

this year alone Sebastian has knocked out more than 10 players in eight games. this year Sebastian has 8 kids on the D with D1 offers. if the RB came back to the d it would be 9 this year. last year is last year. mainland has 3 total kids with D1 offers this year. Pettis don't mess around and mainland knows that. he did beat mainland 26-0 in the playoffs if you want to talk about the past.

It's a little tougher than beating bayside psl and John Carroll. Mantazas is 5-1 Felton's is 5-2 Forgot to mention they beat Dr. Philips. You're like a dog with a bone, I quit. I complemented the defense, several times. What about the OFFENSE. But for the sake of sanity I will give up. I will be pulling for the Sharks against VBHS and we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the 2nd round.

The-1truth, a runner who has pitched the ball on a option play is now considered a defenseless player for clarification. I don't know about not telling the coaches since officials are not required to speak to any assistant coach, only the Head Coach, or designee, if the Head Coach is in the press box. As far as the illegal participation penalty, if the official in his judgment determined that the helmet was not removed by penalty, that foul is the correct call.

It's a little tougher than beating bayside psl and John Carroll. Mantazas is 5-1 Felton's is 5-2 Forgot to mention they beat Dr. Philips. You're like a dog with a bone, I quit. I complemented the defense, several times. What about the OFFENSE. But for the sake of sanity I will give up. I will be pulling for the Sharks against VBHS and we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the 2nd round.
Thanks Bocefous for stating the obvious. Did FPC fall off the face of the earth ? Their talent was always comprable to Mainland's......Now Truth, what are you looking for ? Love, recognition, respect. No one has trash talked Sebastian River High. Coach P, has flipped them to the good side, where Mainland has been for the last 24 yrs. If both teams hold serve, then the Buccaneers will be down there in the 2nd round. What you say we hold the $hit talking till then ? One of us will get educated on that Friday night. Best to you, Truth.

Wow, bragging about knocking ten players out in 8 games then whining about a targeting call...don't that take the cake.
when you hit the qb as he makes the pitch doesn't make it targeting. film doesn't lie. they don't take dirty shots. all their tackles are legal. how can a DL target an OL just because he runs him over?

what's wrong with bragging about someone getting knocked out? if its legal its beautiful.

when you hit the qb as he makes the pitch doesn't make it targeting. film doesn't lie. they don't take dirty shots. all their tackles are legal. how can a DL target an OL just because he runs him over?
its only targeting when you take 2-3 steps after he pitches the ball.

Thanks Bocefous for stating the obvious. Did FPC fall off the face of the earth ? Their talent was always comprable to Mainland's......Now Truth, what are you looking for ? Love, recognition, respect. No one has trash talked Sebastian River High. Coach P, has flipped them to the good side, where Mainland has been for the last 24 yrs. If both teams hold serve, then the Buccaneers will be down there in the 2nd round. What you say we hold the $hit talking till then ? One of us will get educated on that Friday night. Best to you, Truth.

To be honest Dan I'm not sure. I'm recently retired from coaching, trying to advance my career in the education realm and something had to go unfortunately . Talent isn't the issue, complacency more or less seems to be. We had a good run for a while and it seemed to be expected without the effort. Bad losses to Treasure coast and vero kept us out of the playoffs last season. I like what the new HC is doing with the D but at the end of the day it'll be a little time for them to get it back to where it was. Definitely possible just will take time and effort. One nice thing about my retirement is that I actually get to sit and enjoy games on Friday, it's definitely a different perspective. Good luck to your bucks the rest of the way. I'm going to do my best to catch that second round game if it comes to fruition.

Thanks Bocefous for stating the obvious. Did FPC fall off the face of the earth ? Their talent was always comprable to Mainland's......Now Truth, what are you looking for ? Love, recognition, respect. No one has trash talked Sebastian River High. Coach P, has flipped them to the good side, where Mainland has been for the last 24 yrs. If both teams hold serve, then the Buccaneers will be down there in the 2nd round. What you say we hold the $hit talking till then ? One of us will get educated on that Friday night. Best to you, Truth.[/QUOTE
The-1truth, a runner who has pitched the ball on a option play is now considered a defenseless player for clarification. I don't know about not telling the coaches since officials are not required to speak to any assistant coach, only the Head Coach, or designee, if the Head Coach is in the press box. As far as the illegal participation penalty, if the official in his judgment determined that the helmet was not removed by penalty, that foul is the correct call.
I don't care what has happened in the past 24 years. im talking about 2016. these kids look way different from a lot of 6 a schools. they are big and fast.

fans are allowed to talk $hit. my homies kid plays for Sebastian. he played for mainland last year. his dad says his son knocked a kid out from fpc and mainland didn't put him back in the game. he played RB. and so far this year he has a couple as well playing safety.

fans are allowed to talk $hit. my homies kid plays for Sebastian. he played for mainland last year. his dad says his son knocked a kid out from fpc and mainland didn't put him back in the game. he played RB. and so far this year he has a couple as well playing safety.

I don't recall anyone being knocked out, off the top of my head but possible, I can say that the mainland defense was a very daunting one both years we played. The first we let a hard fought victory slip between our fingers, and last year we made a push late but that MLB made a great play on a pass across the middle and returned it to put the lead out of reach.

He comes from the Deland Patrick's bloodline. Hated to see him go. Heard your homie got a job too. Sounds like a win-win for Pettis. You a Bulldog ?

I don't recall anyone being knocked out, off the top of my head but possible, I can say that the mainland defense was a very daunting one both years we played. The first we let a hard fought victory slip between our fingers, and last year we made a push late but that MLB made a great play on a pass across the middle and returned it to put the lead out of reach.
when the safety came down on him and he dropped him like a sack of potatoes. even the mainland coaches will tell you about how hard dpat son brings that wood.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT