ADVERTISEMENT

Mainland 36 Sebastian River 7

Dan in Daytona

Nov 20, 2008
Win, and move on. Solid defense and Denzel Houston, what's not to like ? Warning Jambun don't continue....read something else, maybe another thread.......Now that he's gone.... What a horrible group of one sided incompetent criminals that called this ball game tonight. When it was finally over they had no reason to change clothes. Their stripe shirts should've given them entry when their sorry a$$es were hauled off to jail. SR got away with a lot of BS. Their defense is tough, but they were over the line much of the night. They took several cheap shots at Denzel. Hey Mainland ain't soft. They can bang with anybody. The striped shirts didn't want to see it that way. They kelp SR in the game for as long as possible. And hand cuffed the Bucs when they hit back. No way does a team with NO OFFENSE hang with Mainland unless they get help. And help they got. Maybe in the morning I'll have cooled down a little, I hope not.

Reactions: Zoe Boy
Dan I saw somewhere that the Sebastian TD shouldn't of been a TD a really weird play but that's it, can you olaborate some I watched a clip of it but was confused myself. Good win and good luck next week!

Dan I saw somewhere that the Sebastian TD shouldn't of been a TD a really weird play but that's it, can you olaborate some I watched a clip of it but was confused myself. Good win and good luck next week!
Trelle ,wish I could help you on the TD but it started with a roughing the punter and went down hill from there. The officiating crew huddled up all night long. Nothing was easy for those guys. They were the game ! They took so long that we in the stands were confused with the calls being made. Mainland was on the bad end of them to about 200 yrds. The ball breaker was SR was the dirty one. On a neutral field, with average refs Mainland smokes them by 50. Sorry we were all lost in the stands to what was going on. It was unnecessarily confusing. A couple coaches (here) might be able to clarify it for you ( and I ) .

Looking over several games, it does appear that there were a few crews that were auditioning for the big leagues last night. We know a penalty or foul can be called on damn near every play. But that doesn't mean that it should, especially when the calls are so one sided in a single team's favor at very critical times during the game. Those are 16,17,18 year old young guys out there. I wonder how some of them (grown men) sleep at night..... still hot and my team won.

Last edited:
Win, and move on. Solid defense and Denzel Houston, what's not to like ? Warning Jambun don't continue....read something else, maybe another thread.......Now that he's gone.... What a horrible group of one sided incompetent criminals that called this ball game tonight. When it was finally over they had no reason to change clothes. Their stripe shirts should've given them entry when their sorry a$$es were hauled off to jail. SR got away with a lot of BS. Their defense is tough, but they were over the line much of the night. They took several cheap shots at Denzel. Hey Mainland ain't soft. They can bang with anybody. The striped shirts didn't want to see it that way. They kelp SR in the game for as long as possible. And hand cuffed the Bucs when they hit back. No way does a team with NO OFFENSE hang with Mainland unless they get help. And help they got. Maybe in the morning I'll have cooled down a little, I hope not.

Looking over several games, it does appear that there were a few crews that were auditioning for the big leagues last night. We know a penalty or foul can be called on damn near every play. But that doesn't mean that it should, especially when the calls are so one sided in a single team's favor at very critical times during the game. Those are 16,17,18 year old young guys out there. I wonder how some of them (grown men) sleep at night..... still hot and my team won.

Keep calm, Dan. Despite the bad crew, your Bucs won. Next week I see you get Carol City at home. I was hoping this game was going to be in Miami for very selfish reasons which will become clear in a couple sentences; but I am glad you get them at home. This is by no means a walkover, but it is at home, and there is no Central bogie man. I am going to Miami for Thanksgiving, but am tempted to make the round trip for this game if I can find a group of SF fans with whom I am comfortable to go with.

Good luck to the Bucs. You have a great chance to win it all!! If you get by Carol City, I can tell you there is no way under the sun Lake Gibson beats Mainland. So the North would have to have a much better team than that for you not to win your second State title!

Reactions: peezy28 and Zoe Boy
Keep calm, Dan. Despite the bad crew, your Bucs won. Next week I see you get Carol City at home. I was hoping this game was going to be in Miami for very selfish reasons which will become clear in a couple sentences; but I am glad you get them at home. This is by no means a walkover, but it is at home, and there is no Central bogie man. I am going to Miami for Thanksgiving, but am tempted to make the round trip for this game if I can find a group of SF fans with whom I am comfortable to go with.

Good luck to the Bucs. You have a great chance to win it all!! If you get by Carol City, I can tell you there is no way under the sun Lake Gibson beats Mainland. So the North would have to have a much better team than that for you not to win your second State title!
Ahhh your coming to my town Darter lol.. Me n you both wish this game would be played down here but it's a possibility I might be headed to the BTW vs Cocoa game we some of my boys cause I have a friend that coaches at BTW.... But I was at the West vs CC game lastnight.... What a slugfest that was.. Both teams deserve to go even Central that's why I'm can't wait for the new playoffs installment next year... The zuu won as you guys know.. One great thing about lastnight that kinda help Carol City prepare for Mr Denzel is MNW qb Tutu Autwell is very similar to Denzel and they sort of did good containing him... This is going to be the fastest defense I guarantee Mainland will ply all year... On offense except their young RB Naquan Wright back this week with Cameron Davis ... 2 headed monster plus with the loaded Wr group they have... Its going to be a great game and Dan you can start sweating now cause the Zuu is coming and this is the team that knock off y'all menace bad...

Ahhh your coming to my town Darter lol.. Me n you both wish this game would be played down here but it's a possibility I might be headed to the BTW vs Cocoa game we some of my boys cause I have a friend that coaches at BTW.... But I was at the West vs CC game lastnight.... What a slugfest that was.. Both teams deserve to go even Central that's why I'm can't wait for the new playoffs installment next year... The zuu won as you guys know.. One great thing about lastnight that kinda help Carol City prepare for Mr Denzel is MNW qb Tutu Autwell is very similar to Denzel and they sort of did good containing him... This is going to be the fastest defense I guarantee Mainland will ply all year... On offense except their young RB Naquan Wright back this week with Cameron Davis ... 2 headed monster plus with the loaded Wr group they have... Its going to be a great game and Dan you can start sweating now cause the Zuu is coming and this is the team that knock off y'all menace bad...

Yea mon. Gonna be with my sister, Cherry, my nieces, nephews and grand nieces and nephews. Was hoping to see Mainland/Carol City or American Heritage/Bishop Moore down there and discovered that both games are in Central Florida. That really sucks big time! Going to have to satisfy with South Ridge/Coral Gables or go watch the Deerfield Beach Bucs. Booker T should take out Cocoa again. Cocoa is very good, but as Jones showed last night, they are vulnerable to a big, fast physical team. I know BTW is fast and physical; not sure how big. But I think BTW wins by 10 and sets up another final with Bolles, who seems to be better than they have been recently.

Reactions: Silver King
What are we talking about here? What happened in this game that we are having this discussion on the message board? Why is it always Mainland who gets "screwed by the officials"? Respect is a two-way street, and I don't think that is always considered. Where were these officials for the game from? Does anybody know?

What are we talking about here? What happened in this game that we are having this discussion on the message board? Why is it always Mainland who gets "screwed by the officials"? Respect is a two-way street, and I don't think that is always considered. Where were these officials for the game from? Does anybody know?
Trust me, people say that for a reason..

Trelle ,wish I could help you on the TD but it started with a roughing the punter and went down hill from there. The officiating crew huddled up all night long. Nothing was easy for those guys. They were the game ! They took so long that we in the stands were confused with the calls being made. Mainland was on the bad end of them to about 200 yrds. The ball breaker was SR was the dirty one. On a neutral field, with average refs Mainland smokes them by 50. Sorry we were all lost in the stands to what was going on. It was unnecessarily confusing. A couple coaches (here) might be able to clarify it for you ( and I ) .
On that "TD" a referee clearly threw the white beanbag ( that indicts a fumble) during the play. I have no idea how they got a TD from that!

Games will be played and people are going to complain about officials every time.. on this message board at the local barber shop on Josh's message board everywhere.

YOu need to get thicker skin when it comes to your official compadres... If you haven't learned by now no one can help you..

Because Dan is an old cranky man but not near as old and cranky as you

I don't have anything to get over. I am asking questions because it always seems to be a point-of-view on the message board that officials are favoring one team over another, when in my experience that has never happened. Of course, I have many things that I can bring up regarding this subject, but I simply am not allowed to. When certain schools and teams constantly complain about the officials and the way that a game was officiated, it is quite possible that the problem is not with the officiating crew.

DPHS, that a lot of people that are older and crankier than I am. I am just trying to find out what happened in this game that has people so upset.

You said it happens on this site as if it doesn't happen on every site that has football discussion on any level.

Go to Josh's board and see the officiating bashing going on right now if ya don't believe me.

Being an official is a thankless job... your always going to get the blame point blank period of that's a problem or you can't deal with then maybe it's not for you.

You said it happens on this site as if it doesn't happen on every site that has football discussion on any level.

Go to Josh's board and see the officiating bashing going on right now if ya don't believe me.

Being an official is a thankless job... your always going to get the blame point blank period of that's a problem or you can't deal with then maybe it's not for you.

In high school football, the best a good crew can do is: 1. Strive to know the rules; 2. Strive to call the game impartially, despite any bias that may exist (we are human, not robots, and all of us have inherent biases, whether we acknowledge them or not); and 3. Strive to be not overly influenced by the crowd (venue can impact a crew as the home crowd is usually much more vocal than the visiting team). Beyond that, there is little else I would ask of a good crew, except, perhaps, as far as is possible: to let the kids play. And by that what I mean is strive not to dominate the game, as in overly influence its outcome by making too many nit picking calls.

In high school ball, the crew does not have the benefit of instant replay. Except for the finals, there is usually little if any video even shown of the play itself. The officials are not always in the best position to make the call, as the game can be very fast moving. Lastly, as someone already mentioned, you could get a call off almost any play, so it comes down often to varying shades of grey. Being an official is/can be a thankless job; but it is an essential one, which at this level, is not compensated very well. Thus, we are thankful for the service of the crews that do this, but must ever try and hold them to a high standard.

In high school football, the best a good crew can do is: 1. Strive to know the rules; 2. Strive to call the game impartially, despite any bias that may exist (we are human, not robots, and all of us have inherent biases, whether we acknowledge them or not); and 3. Strive to be not overly influenced by the crowd (venue can impact a crew as the home crowd is usually much more vocal than the visiting team). Beyond that, there is little else I would ask of a good crew, except, perhaps, as far as is possible: to let the kids play. And by that what I mean is strive not to dominate the game, as in overly influence its outcome by making too many nit picking calls.

In high school ball, the crew does not have the benefit of instant replay. Except for the finals, there is usually little if any video even shown of the play itself. The officials are not always in the best position to make the call, as the game can be very fast moving. Lastly, as someone already mentioned, you could get a call off almost any play, so it comes down often to varying shades of grey. Being an official is/can be a thankless job; but it is an essential one, which at this level, is not compensated very well. Thus, we are thankful for the service of the crews that do this, but must ever try and hold them to a high standard.
Beautiful Darter, it couldn't have been stated better.

Reactions: peezy28
Peezy, I don't care what Josh's board or any other site has to say about officiating. This is the site and message board that I have decided to frequent for nearly 8 years now. Sometimes, I don't think that people may not understand what officials are paid to do, and what the role for a football game is. Officials are human beings, and a lot of times the way that they may be treated and talked to has an effect on how a game may be officiated to the spirit of the rules. Not everything is black and white, and when a poster to this message board is as angry as Dan seems to be, or doesn't approve of the way that a game that he or she observed was officiated, I would like to know why.

Peezy, I don't care what Josh's board or any other site has to say about officiating. This is the site and message board that I have decided to frequent for nearly 8 years now. Sometimes, I don't think that people may not understand what officials are paid to do, and what the role for a football game is. Officials are human beings, and a lot of times the way that they may be treated and talked to has an effect on how a game may be officiated to the spirit of the rules. Not everything is black and white, and when a poster to this message board is as angry as Dan seems to be, or doesn't approve of the way that a game that he or she observed was officiated, I would like to know why.

Dan is Cranky man... His team is 36-3 in 3 years and he is still talking about the refs LOL. Maybe you just shouldn't get upset when dan complains about the officials... because he is going to do that right wrong or indifferent.

Now I will say your opinion and views are valued here because you do add a different perspective.

Also, You don't have to tell me about the thankless job of officiating. I've done training with SFOA and I know quite a few of those guys. I understand what your saying I just think you might let Dan get to you a bit much on here.

I do question you on this though:
"Officials are human beings, and a lot of times the way that they may be treated and talked to has an effect on how a game may be officiated to the spirit of the rules."

Can you elaborate on the above statement?

Yes Peezy, I can. There are many different aspects to a coach-official relationship. To many officials, high school football is a vocation, something to give back to the sport. Officials do not care who wins games, and their only role is to make sure that the game is officiated in a safe and fair manner. That being said, there are certain coaches and teams that many officials almost dread when they are assigned to their games because they know what type of game and night they will have to endure. Not so much the style of play, but the temperament of the coach, and the way that the players and sideline conducts itself. Almost every single official is happy with a game and night when he/she is not heard from and almost forgotten about because that meant that the officiating had no impact on the outcome of the game. However, officials do not like having the integrity questioned constantly, and trust me, some coaches do this all the time. The coaches who respect and understand what the officials do, and what their role is for a game are the coaches who generally are more satisfied with, and less likely to concentrate so much on the officials and worry more about the players and the game plan.

Peezy, there is so much more that I would love to tell you in person that I cannot on this message board. I will say that I think that it is absurd that a 50-60 year old man like Dan in Daytona is so angry and upset about the officiating in high school football game that his team won by 29 points, that he is promoting violence against an officiating crew who may or may not have had a good night, and who knows is they are satisfied with their performance. You know how much I like and respect Dan, but I think that this is over-the-top, especially for him.

Janbum, Peezy is pretty reasonable, I was standing next to him as flags littered the field against his team Friday night, and he was actually calling a couple before the ref did. He, to his credit, bit his tongue watching his team take a couple hundred yards of penalties and agreed most, not all, were deserved. Pretty Gucci.

You have a thankless job, and I know most of you are in it to give back to the sport - my college roommate just retired from Div 2 / NAIA officiating, he loved the game. Football is highly emotional and its amazing -- with some to the kids the game saves today -- that there aren't more incidents. I attribute that to a combination of Coaches and Officials keeping a lid on it. I've always said penalties cause losses and sometimes cause wins, and usually those have a way of balancing out on disciplined teams.

I think on this Thanksgiving, most of us are thankful you're conscientious and trying to educate us, or explain to the best of your ability certain calls, even though these weren't your games. But wearing the stripes, complaints come with the territory.

I am trying to decide if that was the correct use of the term Gucci... At the current moment I am going to go with yes until further investigation LOL.

Peezy28 said to jambun82: (Daytona Dan's) team is 36-3 in 3 years and he is still talking about the refs ... Maybe you just shouldn't get upset when Dan complains about the officials ... because he is going to do that right, wrong or indifferent.

This one gets Nu'Trelle's vote as the most intelligent remark ever been posted to this forum.

Thank you Silver King, I wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving. I also wish the Tarpons all the best Friday night, and beyond if they get the victory. I have two questions for you, first how do you rate the Charlotte Head Coach when it comes to relations for the officials? Second, is your son, I believe your middle son of three, still considering officiating?

Happy Thanksgiving. Our Head Coach is usually pretty good, Tarps have won a few sportsmanship awards over the years. But like most coaches he can make hisself heard if he needs to - remember the situation I asked you about center jumping, he was a little irate at that particularly the 2nd time it happened, the guy tripped because his foot contacted the center. Youngest son and his wife are having a baby, he's starting a new tile company and he's trying to talk her into letting him help out our basketball team. He's also started running distance and did a half marathon Sat in Naples, so he's pretty busy. I'll ask him tomorrow.

Gucci, OK I'm loaded and ready for bear tomorrow:

"Did you see that catch? That was Gucci baby!"
"Damn them mash taters swimming' in gravy were Gucci"
"Is it Gucci or not for the final four if Penn State wins out?"
"Dear Santa, SK been Gucci as hell this year!"

Reactions: peezy28
Thank you Silver King, I did want to address your comment about complaints coming with the territory of being an official. That is of course correct, but I think a big point is that some coaches know the rules a lot better than others, and when an official encounters a coach that knows the rules, it is a lot easier to deal with than a coach that questions why the other team is not having fouls called or yells "holding, holding" every other play. It is good that your school seems to have a solid coaching staff and program.

They're a pretty veteran staff, four former head coaches and three of them have been together from 15-20 years. They're grooming two great young coaches who came up through the program. You've probably heard me say this before, I wouldn't have traded the experience, nor would my three boys, playing for them with the kids they grew up with, than any of them transferring and winning a state title somewhere else.

Yes, I have heard you say that before. Just as you have read me say and I will remind you that not everybody had the same high school experiences that you and your family had. I feel that should be kept in mind when discussing transfers.

Janbum, Peezy is pretty reasonable, I was standing next to him as flags littered the field against his team Friday night, and he was actually calling a couple before the ref did. He, to his credit, bit his tongue watching his team take a couple hundred yards of penalties and agreed most, not all, were deserved. Pretty Gucci.

You have a thankless job, and I know most of you are in it to give back to the sport - my college roommate just retired from Div 2 / NAIA officiating, he loved the game. Football is highly emotional and its amazing -- with some to the kids the game saves today -- that there aren't more incidents. I attribute that to a combination of Coaches and Officials keeping a lid on it. I've always said penalties cause losses and sometimes cause wins, and usually those have a way of balancing out on disciplined teams.

I think on this Thanksgiving, most of us are thankful you're conscientious and trying to educate us, or explain to the best of your ability certain calls, even though these weren't your games. But wearing the stripes, complaints come with the territory.

Good post... it's so Calvin Kline... is that the same as Gucci?

Really though, good post SK.

And no... Calvin Kline isn't Gucci.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT