ADVERTISEMENT

Loaded sophomore class... Any others?

Pipe Dreams

Jul 21, 2010
A little off topic but looking ahead my alma mater has what could be its best class ever. Dr. Phillips is loaded in the 2017 class.

Calvin Ashley (OL) - #1 OT in country for 2017 by multiple outlets

Dylan Meeks (LB/DE) - All-American, single season tackle record as sophomore

Emare Hogan (ATH) - Was the wildcat QB against Manatee in 2nd half

James Green (S) - Strong, hard hitter, 6'2 - 210

Marvin Washington (QB) - Played behind D1 QB, dual threat

Robert Porcher IV (DE) - 6'3 already, father played in NFL

Nick Smith (DE) - Ditto Porcher's size, father played in NBA

DJ Charles (ATH) - Played behing 4 D1 DB's, will have big role next year

-

-

2017 in Rivals Database:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/recruit-search-results;_ylt=Am__kHnP_Jo8zaelkRq7ymFHPZB4?sport=football&year=2017&highschool_text=Dr.+Phillips&highschools=13709&state=Florida
-

2018 is pretty dang good too. Davarius Bargnare, Chance Bush and Tanner Ingle should all grow into high-D1 prospects.

-
-
-

Any other loaded fresh/soph groups? I know Jax TC is pretty loaded.... ditto for Miami with all of those Overtown, Liberty City, Richmond, Gwen Cherry and Palmetto PW kids coming up. Miami PW may have had 3-4 of the top 10 teams in the country.

-
This post was edited on 12/31 2:35 PM by Pipe Dreams

Here's the Sentinel's Chris Hays (Recruiting Guru) on DP 2017:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-recruiting/blog/os-chris-hays-the-prospector-dylan-meeks-dr-phillips-20141201-column.html

Hope they do well the next two years! Sounds like they will have a great team.

OK then PD, here's my input if you're fishing: Wow!

Your first two make it a pretty darn impressive list in anybody's realm - two guys that young with those tags on the same team with two years to play.

The other guys are hard to gauge never having seen them play, but I'll take your word for it; great genetics usually help. You have a hard hitter (always good) and a DB who saw how it should be done as a Frosh along with some options at Q; and three more guys who should be D-1. I think you have a team that should be very, very good the next couple years.

Why would a player already ranked as #1 as a sophomore change schools? What does IMG have to offer? He's already on everyone's radar.

GRADES.........Urban Meyer came to Dr. P and told him not to leave. But if u cant pass the FCAT

So, is IMG such a great academic, they can get him up to a level were he can finally pass? Or, is that a school that does not require he pass the FCAT?

History tells us that most players that can't get the grades in high school won't last long in college. Urban can have him.

Originally posted by Lakers20:

I have some imput for you..........
Calvin Ashley is going to IMG in January
Wow,

they are already picking up Shavier Manuel and 2 other players from the Tampa Bay area. I keep hearing rumors that Malik Henry from California is going there too.

Originally posted by peezy28:

Originally posted by Lakers20:

I have some imput for you..........
Calvin Ashley is going to IMG in January
Wow,

they are already picking up Shavier Manuel and 2 other players from the Tampa Bay area. I keep hearing rumors that Malik Henry from California is going there too.
Also the TE from Buford (Nauta) is rumored to be going there.

You only have to pass the fcat to graduate if you're in a public school in Florida. Private schools don't have them.

What you can do is stay at your public school, getting your credits if you can, then transfer to a private for the last semester. Seen it done.

Too bad you take the FCAT in 10th grade. That's the one you have to pass to graduate.

Plenty of Mulligans though. Students can and do take it (FCAT) over, over, and over again... even after "graduation" if they've not passed.

Not everyone has to pass the FCAT. Several ways around it, you can get a waiver or have a good score on the ACT

Isn't the FCAT no more? I thought they got rid of it and are searching for a replacement test.

So....

Any other loaded sophomore classes?

Would hate for a thread on here to take a boring turn.....

Originally posted by WESCHAD:
You only have to pass the fcat to graduate if you're in a public school in Florida. Private schools don't have them.
Does Private Schools get state funds? If so they should have to take the FCAT or whatever they call it now. I heard the FCAT name was changed or something to that effect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT