ADVERTISEMENT

South Sumpter 23 Zephyrhills 20

MarkECannon

Oct 9, 2010
There are more important things to talk about, especially in SW Florida, but I attended this game Friday night.

It was the first time I had ever seen the South Sumpter Raiders play. They are a strong rural Central Florida program.

The Raiders were 6-0 going into the game with the Zephyrhills Bulldogs at 3-2 with two respectable losses. I did not expect to stay for the whole game but I did.

Both teams have a top sophomore in the country. Zephyrhills has D. J. Pickett who is listed as the top sophomore athlete. He is a 6’2”, lanky DB & WR. His top play was a 40 yard catch between 2 DB’s that very few would have made. Sumpter’s is a LB, FB named Malakhi Boone. This guy is a one man wrecking crew. He’s 6’2”, 230 lbs. man child that gave maximum effort every play. He could play Power 5 college football ball right now. He is the best high school LB I’ve seen since James Wilder who, of course, played for Tampa Plant.

I sat on Sumpter’s side but it was a little discomforting when their band was playing “We are the Ole Boys from Florida” as I walked into the stands. They followed that up with the band playing the Gator Chomp and Go Gators song.

On to the game. Sumpter won it with impressive running. They have 2 RB’s that punish you when you tackle them. When they breakout they both have the speed to take it to the house. The QB runs the same way. Their offensive weaknesses are the QB is not a very accurate passer and the OL is respectable but a little vertically challenged.

Zephyrhills threw the ball all over the yard to average success. They have 2 very good receivers. My criticism would be not throwing to Pickett much in the first half. Not sure why they didn’t but they went to him often in the 2nd half

Both defenses were stout. Halftime score was only 9-7 Sumpter.

The game went down to the last minute when Sumpter stopped Zephyrhills at the Raiders 25 yard line.

After the game the Raiders fans were ecstatic. I had to walk over to the Bulldogs’ side on my way out and let’s just say they weren’t.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT