ADVERTISEMENT

Jaquez Green as Manatee OC vs Brion Carnes as Manatee OC

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Jaquez has had 2 years as the Manatee OC and had prior experience as a OC at Lincoln HS and Goody HS, Brion has functioned as a OC just once and that was also had Manatee for the 2018 season.

Manatee offensive stats under OC Jaquez Green:
2020 Season -
Total rushing yards - 1487 for 4.4 yards per carry
Total passing yards - 1723 for 13.6 yards per catch
Averaging 27.8 points per game

2019 Season -
Total rushing yards - 1486 yards for 4.3 yards per carry
Total passing yards - 1628 yards for 14.7 yards per catch
Averaging 26 points per game

Manatee offensive stats under OC Brion Carnes
2018 Season -
Total rushing yards - 1972 yards for 5.8 yards per carry
Total passing yards - 1695 yards for 15 yards per catch
Averaging 29.8 points per game

To me that difference looks like it could have been a better running back in 2018. Who was it, I wasn't paying attention.

I posted the stats, because I was reminded watching the 1985 Manatee vs SE football game, just how bad a OC Green is. Rodney Sanders was the QB for Manatee at that point in 1985 and was a left handed QB, every time he rolled Sanders out, Kinnan had him rolling left so that his throwing motion didn't require throwing across his body. Unlike Green does with the current left handed QB for Manatee. There are a number of things, but would require me having the ability to video edit to best illustrate my issues with Green's playing calling which emphasizes a vertical passing game as well as what I would describe as youth football league offensive concepts.

To answer your question: Freshman Kyree Jones was Manatee's leading rusher that season with 648 yards at 5.4 yards per carry that 2018 season. Jones missed all of the 2019 season with a knee injury, and last season had 878 yards at 4.5 yards per carry. To add further context to how much better Brion was at getting the most out of the offensive talent he had versus Green. That 2018 season saw Manatee with 2 sophomores on its OL, where as last year Manatee had 4 seniors on the OL, 2 of which were 4 year starters and 2 which were 2nd year starters. Also Brion was working with a QB that was in his 1st year with the Manatee football program and had been unsuccessful at landing a starting job at 2 other schools one of which was Charlotte HS before landing at Manatee, where as Green last year was working with a QB that has been at Manatee for 3 years, his 2nd as the Manatee starting QB (and is a much better talent at QB than the 2018 QB).

Last edited:
Understood, when I posted I just was looking to provide enough information that related to the end product of each OC to perhaps inspire a discussion that would then get into the nuts and bolts of things. We get a lot of lurkers still on this site, nothing up to this point seems to compel most to weigh in with their own thoughts however, other then you and myself typically.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT