ADVERTISEMENT

Hewitt-Trussville 78 Manatee 56 Final

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Well the Trussville Tribune said Manatee could bring anything it wanted, including the kitchen sink and wouldn't make any difference................predicting Trussville would win regardless. Well Manatee did in fact bring the kitchen sink and it didn't make one bit of difference! Manatee lost TB Josh Booker late in the 1st half to what looked like to me as a horse collar.................refs didn't see it that way. After that it was pretty much just a Manatee passing game, that did everything it could do to try to keep Manatee in the game. The Manatee defense was physically dominated on the line of scrimmage and particularly at the second level. I watched play after play with the Trussville OL locking up the Manatee linebackers, and just taking them where anywhere they wanted. what got me was the Trussville OL wasn't all that big, but it obviously was much stronger than the Manatee D-line and Linebackers!

Manatee left points on the field at the end of the 1st half and 2nd half as the clock ended any hope for Manatee putting more point on the scoreboard deep in Trussville territory in the 1st half and INT at the Trussville 1 as the game ended. AJ threw another pick six INT.........(when AJ throws a INT, he's sure had more than a few go back the other way for TD's). Before Josh went out pretty sure he had over 100 yards.

Trussville has a very good offense, but I just cant get over watching in person just how thoroughly dominated the Manatee defense was. To give a picture just how little respect Trussville had for the Manatee defense, it twice scored on 4th down..............one time it was 4th and 8 at the Manatee 28-32 yard line and the other score was pretty much the same story as well.

Ran into a couple of guys at half that lived in Alabama and Atlanta GA, one was a 1970 Manatee grad and the other a 1971 Southeast grad................so it was great seeing people come out to support the Canes!

TWC249 think I saw you on the sidelines, saw your son wasn't dressed either?

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
By looking at that score i was wondering if both teams left there defense at home, That's a crazy score

Reactions: peezy28
There are no excuses when you give up 78 points, so I will try to focus on the positives. The Manatee offense is excellent. Tarique Milton is a big time playmaker. Josh Booker is a monster and will put up some huge numbers this year. Our offensive line is a pleasant surprise and gives me hope in the playoffs.

When a team exposes you the way HT did Manatee last night you have to learn from it and not dwell on it. I believe we'll adjust and eventually put a quality product on the field. It was difficult to watch that performance.

That would have been a great basketball score. Not so much for one of the highest rated football teams in Florida.

Ran into a couple of guys at half that lived in Alabama and Atlanta GA, one was a 1970 Manatee grad and the other a 1971 Southeast grad................so it was great seeing people come out to support the Canes!

Damn they play football up there with a 3-point line? Wow, not exactly the score you'd expect for high quality teams.

Thanks for the report Gatorman, If that Southeast cat graduated in 1971, I played against him the 69 and 70 seasons.

I tried remembering some Southeast players from that era as I was talking to him, but the best I could do was come up with some teachers I knew taught there during that time. The guy that was a 1970 Manatee grad said he was a uncle to Kelvin McKnight, Kelvin played on the Manatee 2014 team and I believe is now playing at Samford University in Alabama. I was only 10-11 during 69-70 years and while I remember going to Manatee games my whole life, I don't have any real memories of players in the area until around 1972.

The Trussville offense really had its way with the Manatee defense from start to finish, and what was really troubling was Manatee actually has some pretty good talent on its defense! I've not been an advocate of the defensive coordinator coach Booth selected after he fired Phelan from the very beginning........if things don't improve in a hurry, it will be interesting to see if coach Booth can find it within himself to move pass a family name and do what is best for the program. There were a number of instances where Joe became personally involved with things on the defensive side of the ball from time to time..............coach Booth I'm sure is looking at things this weekend to try to get a handle on this situation!

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver King
Manatee tried to match tempo for tempo. Although the Canes are formidable on offense, the defense wasn't up for the task. By the second half they were totally gassed.

Know your enemy. Know yourself. Avoid his strengths and attack his weaknesses. Hindsight being 20/20, maybe the Canes should have slowed their offensive tempo, ate some clock, limit the number of plays their defense had to play.

This one is over. Palmetto up next. Hope the Canes can regroup quickly because I think the Tigers have a pretty decent football team.

I still can't believe a high school teams scores 56 points in a game and still loses by 22. That is terrible from a defensive standpoint. Manatee will still in my opinion, go undefeated during the regular season. Venice will probably be there toughest test but they will be them also.

Reactions: peezy28
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT