ADVERTISEMENT

Grier Transferring

peezy28

Feb 25, 2003
Thoughts?

I see a lot of folks are now hurling lots of words at Grier when they supported him previously.

I am also hearing that his issue did not only stem from the positive PED test but the reason he has been absent from the team and sideline for the last 2 months have to do with him going into rehab for "other" stuff. Heard that one from a pretty good source.

Not sure, maybe he needs out of Gainesville. It's easy to get in with the wrong crowd.

Football-wise it makes no sense. He will be suspended all year next season, I believe. Then he'll sit out 6. Plus UF is short at QB (Harris and Feliepe Franks are it). The third string QB at Florida next year will most likely be the Manvel (TX) quarterback that was second string on his own team.

This is the worst possible news for Gator fans because we finally had a QB. He was getting better by the week and all started against Tennessee. What a sick joke.

The Tebow Curse? Haven't had a QB in years....

PD, I think you guys will have the kid that is transferring in to (I think form Oregon State). So him Harris (probably switching positions), Franks and Trask. Did you say Trask is not even a starter on his own team? That I did not know.

Manvel's starting quarterback is *** D'Eriq King... Both seniors but King is the runner. I've watched Trask on film and he has a strong arm but nothing else really stood out to me.

The OSU quarterback is Luke Del Rio, forgot about him. He was recruited by McElwain when Mac was at Colorado State.

So that is 4 QB's (not including Treon) Trask, Manvel, Del Rio, and Franks.

Grier's best bet is to go to an FCS school where he won't have to RS a year and sit 6 games then play. Hell try to find one of the big name schools like Jville St, NDSU or Richmond

Peezy, are you sure about that? I have read different things from different sites. One said he could not play next year no matter where he transferred. Why would any team want to wait six games to have him available?

Is Luke Del Rio related to Jack Del Rio?

Yes, they are related.

Also Manvel is the team in Texas that Trask is on.... Trask played behind D'Eriq King the last three years.

Assuming Treon switches it could be:
1. Feliepe Franks
2. Luke Del Rio
3. Jacob Guy
4. Kyle Trask

...but I have no idea. My good friend Cris Wilkes (who played QB until this past year for the Gators) said that when Treon first got there it seemed like he was going to be a WR. He told me "Treon won't play QB" ... We'll see if he's better at WR.

Peezy, are you sure about that? I have read different things from different sites. One said he could not play next year no matter where he transferred. Why would any team want to wait six games to have him available?

Is Luke Del Rio related to Jack Del Rio?

Choc, he will have to sit 6 games next year if he stays at UF or if he transfers to a FCS or D2 NCAA school. If he goes JUCO or NAIA he can play right away. If he transfer D1AA he has to sit out all of year because of the transfer rule and then he will have to sit out the 1st 6 games of his 1st eligible season (2017) before he can see the field...

Maybe he will go JUCO.

Old news from a month ago .. Well I knew was leaving, o'well wish him luck but he still has 6 suspended games on his head and he may not come back to the ncaa and go to the NFL .

This article suggests that while Grier sits out for for Redshirt that also counts for his PED suspension as well (not what I thought happens)

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Grier-decision-surprised-McElwain-but-hell-support-former-QB-42194234

As for whether he should leave, professionally I don't understand it. Coach Mac obviously believes in his ability by choosing him over Harris. I think Grier knows next year would be a throwaway anyway and the Gators might have cemented themselves with Franks/DelRio.

Meanwhile, personally, I get it. He is always caring around a label. He wasn't recruited by Coach Mac. The team might be disappointed in him. He could probably move to someplace like Duke, UNC, NC State, or Wake Forest and play closer to home.

A lot of times kids are asked to leave behind closed doors for the betterment of everyone involved this is probably what happened. They knew about his other issues with substances not legal in the ncaa, Knight from Oklahoma maybe transferring there and Gardner from Louisville may come, but the gators have a boatload of internal problems still carrying over from meyer and being passed down by the players it will take mcelwain at least 3 more years to get it respectable again playing wise and character wise.

[QUOTE="jap 1, post: it will take mcelwain at least 3 more years to get it respectable again playing wise and character wise.[/QUOTE]

By then the Hurricanes will be cranked back up and making things tough for FSU and the Gators again.

[QUOTE="jap 1, post: it will take mcelwain at least 3 more years to get it respectable again playing wise and character wise.

By then the Hurricanes will be cranked back up and making things tough for FSU and the Gators again.[/QUOTE]
You're all in on Richt, aren't you? I just don't see it. He had every resource you could ask for at Georgia and failed to get the job done. Miami has a lot of obstacles that are preventing them from being elite. I think he'll average about nine wins a year and will retire after five or six years. The Coastal is looking more competitive as well so the Hurricanes have their work cut out for them.

You're all in on Richt, aren't you?.

And why wouldn't I be all in jgk? This is the first non "Hail Mary" hire the Canes have had in a while.

This is a proven coach who is 15th in winning percentage of all active coaches at 74%. And that percentage came during an era when the SEC simply dominated football - he lost to quite a few eventual National Champions.

Saban is 2 points ahead as the 10th winningest coach at 76%. Richt is followed by Brian Kelly, Dabo Sweeny and Les Miles, on that list, so hell yes I'm all in.

Blackpopsicle, please explain. Are you referencing Cam Newton and the allegations?

As he should be. I think Richt comes to Miami with a chip on his shoulder now.
Always great motivation in College football. And did I mention that even with the coaching, scholarships and sanctions, they haven't exactly been getting blown out by FSU (Ranked #2 and #12 the last two years and won by less than a TD both years) or the Gators lately who had far superior teams.

Last edited:
Blackpopsicle, please explain. Are you referencing Cam Newton and the allegations?
Of course. Among many. Think there are street agents in the 7on7 community? JC ball has 'em too.

But, I don't think Grier will mess with a JC. When he comes back, he will still have to sit out 6 games, according to the article I read today.

He'll transfer, sit out a year, which he would have to do anyway, and then have two more years eligibility at a big school. My money's on Carolina.

I wonder if he will be subject to dope testing when he's sitting out?

What article did you read? I saw one a few days ago that said after sitting out a year, he would be a redshirted senior. I didn't understand why. The following article says his suspension and having to sit out for the transfer could not be concurrent.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...b-will-grier-transferring-from-florida-gators
Para 2 states:
" It is expected that he will have to serve the remainder of his suspension following his NCAA-mandated transfer year, meaning he may not be able to take the field until mid-October 2017."

What article did you read? I saw one a few days ago that said after sitting out a year, he would be a redshirted senior. I didn't understand why. The following article says his suspension and having to sit out for the transfer could not be concurrent.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...b-will-grier-transferring-from-florida-gators
Para 2 states:
" It is expected that he will have to serve the remainder of his suspension following his NCAA-mandated transfer year, meaning he may not be able to take the field until mid-October 2017."
All I know is what I read in da papers. Seems like everyone is speculating.

"Now, Grier will play elsewhere. If he goes to another Football Bowl Subdivision team, Grier would have to sit out one year under NCAA transfer rules and would be a fourth-year junior when he's eligible."

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/florida-qb-grier-decides-transfer-amid-ped-suspension

He'll transfer, sit out a year, which he would have to do anyway, and then have two more years eligibility at a big school. My money's on Carolina.
That's my alma mater, and I read something online from one of their recruiting sites that is a possibility. Grier is from Davidson, NC, so that might be why UNC is in the conversation. But though the starting QB Marquise Williams is graduating next year, his backup Mitch Trubisky is only a sophomore and is very good. Grier might have a battle on his hands.

That's my alma mater, and I read something online from one of their recruiting sites that is a possibility. Grier is from Davidson, NC, so that might be why UNC is in the conversation. But though the starting QB Marquise Williams is graduating next year, his backup Mitch Trubisky is only a sophomore and is very good. Grier might have a battle on his hands.
Heh, heh, heh. That ain't the Carolina I'm talking about. I think Columbia is closer than Chapel Hill, isn't it?
Musclecramp recruited him, right? USCaro is QB thin, although I think Perry Orth has potential.

Some say Musclecramp is offensive poison, though.

Hey, where I'm from, there is only one Carolina and it's not in South Carolina. ;)
Anyway, I really did read that he was considering UNC, but I imagine if that's true, it's probably one of about 10 possibilities for him, if not more.

Reactions: Silver King
Grier could go to JUCO for a year and then come back to the Gators...just a thought.
If he does he still has to serve his suspended games unless he goes NAIA but if he comes back to the NCAA he still has that over his head. The Gators won't need him after this season is over with, they got some great recruits coming in January..

Happy this is the last Miami loss under this era I have to endure with dropped passes, dropped interceptions, game changing penalties and no sense of purpose.

It would help both of them because they would not get downgraded for scheduling lower division teams. But, if that becomes a yearly thing, UCF will be upset for getting left out.

I think Miami has a shot next year to be pretty competitive with what Richt will bring in, particularly with the Q they have, because he may not stick around another year. They need to start playing D again and they can recruit that from their back yard.

Richt should be good for Miami, he has the skill to put the Canes back in the national lime-light, and if the staff is half decent they could put a stinger FSU's ass as soon as next year. You saw what Houston did today... imagine if Houston had the Dade area to recruit from. All you really needed in Miami was a good HC. The talent is being grown in South Florida. Every decent national team west of the Mississippi comes to Florida to recruit. Richt will get it and the respect. Please, dear god, don't let Miami fire Ice Harris and let him return back to BTW.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT