ADVERTISEMENT

Good teams in your area for 2015

Pipe Dreams

Jul 21, 2010
I'll go with Central Florida... the area has REALLY stepped up in recent years.

My Early Top 6 (in order)
Mainland
Dr. Phillips
Osceola
Lake Mary
Apopka
West Orange

Darkhorses: Orange City University, Oak Ridge
-
This post was edited on 2/24 8:54 PM by Pipe Dreams

state runner ups return all 5 offensive lineman, 4100 yards rushing and 56 TD's but can't make the top 6 in Central Florida. I hope you are wrong

North East Florida:

1. Trinity Christian
2. Trinity Christian
3. First Coast
4. Trinity Christian
5. Trinity Christian Junior Varsity

Tampa Bay Area

Everything is up in the air in the Tampa Bay Area. I really can't tell you other than the usual suspects will probably be there but not quite as good.

Hillsborough
Plant - They will be Plant I expect them to be about the same team they were last year
Armwood - I think Armwood is down next year but they are still Armwood the other brass in Hillsborough aren't ready to take over
A suprising team to look out for would be Lennard with their star rising sophomore QB... Yeah I know Lennard but that QB is the truth

Pinellas
East Lake - Maybe time for a fall from grace. Looking at their younger guys in the program I don't see much promise for this year
Lakewood - Not so sure about them either they lose a lot of guys who are hard to replace
Teams to look out for this year in Pinellas are St. Pete, Clearwater, and Countryside.
Oh and CCC will be really good again even without Jeff Smith

Pasco
Sunlake is the team to beat IMO
Pasco will be 1st or 2nd

Peezy,

I agree with Pinellas. Clearwater High School should be a very, very solid team this year from everything I've heard. Countryside will be strong. CCC is scary, since they are going to be really good this year and then they bring back all of their expected key play-makers in 2016 as well, they've gotten a few impact transfers already and word is, they are expecting some O-linemen to transfer in come June.

I'm curious how East Lake does, i think they are the big question mark in Pinellas this year. They had a strong 4-5 year run, and now they are in a rebuilding mode.

Originally posted by SPCjessica2004:
Peezy,

I agree with Pinellas. Clearwater High School should be a very, very solid team this year from everything I've heard. Countryside will be strong. CCC is scary, since they are going to be really good this year and then they bring back all of their expected key play-makers in 2016 as well, they've gotten a few impact transfers already and word is, they are expecting some O-linemen to transfer in come June.

I'm curious how East Lake does, i think they are the big question mark in Pinellas this year. They had a strong 4-5 year run, and now they are in a rebuilding mode.
I don't think East Lake will be a bad team but they will not be a state semifinalist anymore. They are not replacing the guys they lost with anyone near their level.

Peezy,

Hi Jessica...................

Do you really think that CCC is going to be as good this year as last year? They are losing 23 Seniors to graduation, QB Jeff Smith with a .68% passing percentage, 2,165 Yds passing, 1,236 Yds rushing, all of their top receivers, and all of their RBs with the exception of Cotman. My thought is, without Jeff Smith, CCC's offense drops from exceptional to ordinary or even less than ordinary. Tell me where I'm going wrong. I know that they bring in a lot of new faces. In fact, CCC may be one of the top teams in Florida for bringing in new talent every season. But, that is unknown talent, is it not?

This post was edited on 2/26 11:19 AM by ProSetEye

Originally posted by ProSetEye:

Peezy,

Hi Jessica...................

Do you really think that CCC is going to be as good this year as last year? They are losing 23 Seniors to graduation, QB Jeff Smith with a .68% passing percentage, 2,165 Yds passing, 1,236 Yds rushing, all of their top receivers, and all of their RBs with the exception of Cotman. My thought is, without Jeff Smith, CCC's offense drops from exceptional to ordinary or even less than ordinary. Tell me where I'm going wrong. I know that they bring in a lot of new faces. In fact, CCC may be one of the top teams in Florida for bringing in new talent every season. But, that is unknown talent, is it not?

This post was edited on 2/26 11:19 AM by ProSetEye
I for one do not think they are as good without Jeff Smith. IMO he is the best QB CCC has ever had and that is saying a lot but that is just my opinion.

They will be good and a contender though. Its not so much who they are bringing in but some of the guys they developed the last 2 years that I think will step big time. There are a couple transfers I heard about but they are not IMGing anyone.

Well..as usual no one has included the panhandle of Florida which has tons of good football and talented players in 1A to 6A.

Proseteye,

CCC will be worse at QB, but as a team they will be much, much better. The defense in particular wasn't very good last year, but word is the Marauders added 2 D-1 Caliber Linebackers via transfer. I know for sure they got Calvary Christian's star LB John Chiramonte. Of the 23 seniors the Marauders graduated, they are realistically only going to miss about 9 of them, the other guys don't have impressive stat sheets. Outside of Jeff, the core of the team last year was the Sophomore class with CJ Cotman, Rashaad Stewart, the Newton Twins, Tyler McDonald etc etc. Heck, against you guys- if I remember, the Marauders started 5 Freshmen on defense. Against Heritage, they had a combination of 13 Freshmen and Sophomores between their offense and defense.

Jacob Parks is going to be the QB, so he's a question mark- I don't know much about him, and there's little film on him. I know he's a tall, lanky guy. CCC plays Clearwater in the spring. Clearwater is expected to be a top team in Pinellas County this year and are going to be pretty senior loaded (Lots of experience), so we'll find out really quick about this young man.

How's Marion County looking?

Proseteye,

CCC will be worse at QB, but as a team they will be much, much better. The defense in particular wasn't very good last year, but word is the Marauders added 2 D-1 Caliber Linebackers via transfer. I know for sure they got Calvary Christian's star LB John Chiramonte. Of the 23 seniors the Marauders graduated, they are realistically only going to miss about 9 of them, the other guys don't have impressive stat sheets. Outside of Jeff, the core of the team last year was the Sophomore class with CJ Cotman, Rashaad Stewart, the Newton Twins, Tyler McDonald etc etc. Heck, against you guys- if I remember, the Marauders started 5 Freshmen on defense. Against Heritage, they had a combination of 13 Freshmen and Sophomores between their offense and defense.

Jacob Parks is going to be the QB, so he's a question mark- I don't know much about him, and there's little film on him. I know he's a tall, lanky guy. CCC plays Clearwater in the spring. Clearwater is expected to be a top team in Pinellas County this year and are going to be pretty senior loaded (Lots of experience), so we'll find out really quick about this young man.

Well, let's see. OTC has 19 Seniors departing. However only 8 or 9 are that significant. That being said the offense will lose the most:

QB Noah Schaffer
RB London Gaskin
RB Quandre Woods
WR Richie Denicola
WR Willie Young

Coming Back:

Jr QB Ryan Miller, 6' 3", 220. (Was supposed to start in 2014 but Schaffer got the nod because he was a Senior. Brantley always played Seniors unless there was a mitigating reason not to. Miller is very very good, though.)
Jr RB Robert Rivers
Jr RB Chris Guyton

Most of the OL will be back.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The defense will lose:

LB Marquis Hendrix
LB Ulysees Gilbert
DB Darrien McNair

(3 of the best in the business.)

Coming Back:

Top D-1 prospect DL Jordan Woods will be back along with most of the defense.

The losses on offense will hurt. But, at least the Celtics will have an experienced QB and a couple of up and coming RBs. At WR they will have to develop a lot as they lost a very experienced group.

My prediction:

The Celtics will be just about as good on defense as they were last season. They'll have a good DL and DB's. Jordan Woods will mentor the new LB's and this defense will come together by the 2nd or 3rd game of the season.

They will struggle somewhat on offense and may have to run the ball more than they like to until a receiving corp gets solidified. Miller is an excellent passer if he can get one WR consistent.

The Celtics will be playing higher classification teams in their out of district games, other than CCC, there will be 5A Jesuit, 5A South Sumter, and 7A Buchholz. May be a couple of others too.

As far as the other teams in this area, at this point I don't have a clue. Possibly later in the summer.

This post was edited on 2/26 9:53 PM by ProSetEye

Armwood will have a lot of kids returning on the Off. side of the ball
This post was edited on 2/27 10:28 AM by lattimo

22Wham, who do you think will be best in the panhandle? Considering all the larger schools will be in the same class next year, I would pick Niceville. They have a lot of talent coming back. I haven't had a chance to check all rosters to see who will lose the most seniors. There were also coaching changes at several schools which may hurt them.

Choctaw I heard that you guys are going to be good. Niceville, Navarre, and Crestview also return a lot. All of the teams up here are well coached and have disciplined players that block and tackle well.

I think if Pine Forest can figure out what kind of offense they want to run and then find a quarterback, they can make a little noise in the area for 2015 but I think they're going to really make some noise in 2016. The team started a lot of sophomores on both sides of the ball last season. Two of their best players will be soon to be sophomore Jacob Copeland (WR,RB,DB) and incoming freshman Anwar Lewis (RB/DB). Lewis is regarded as one of the best 8th graders in the country and I'm not exactly sure which schools he's going to but I'll be surprised if its not here. They have a few other burners on the offensive side of the ball. The defense is good against the run but like other PF teams in the past struggle against the pass.

Once again there is a reference to a parlor game that is popular to many and not one thought toward the parlor game that many have enjoyed since the late '40s, YAHTZEE. It is a very entertaining game and builds not only comraderie, but also enhances probability math skills.
tn-huge-yahtzee.png

I'm pretty solid on the top 3 for CFLA--- Mainland, Dr. Phillips, Osceola.... Mainland #1, 2 and 3 could interchange. But it's way early.

Apopka lost a lot but that never matters. They have some really good skill guys that can play multiple positions on offense. Lake Mary is young but is a program on the rise. West Orange has the Barrett-McDoom connection plus a ton of senior talent. Oak Ridge is also very top-heavy... if they have depth they could be among the best in CFLA.

Also.... Panhandle guy.... CMON MAN!!!

I like when the Panhandle folk tell us in detail about their teams instead of complaining they get no play... Its hard to get Panhandle news down here.

Thanks Peezy. Choctaw led Armwood for 3 1/2 quarters and I think I surprised a lot of people. The panhandle is a north and south two back smash mouth type ball because there are less athletes and ball control is important. There are several loaded teams and I going to enjoy watching some ball this fall.

Originally posted by 22wham:
Thanks Peezy. Choctaw led Armwood for 3 1/2 quarters and I think I surprised a lot of people. The panhandle is a north and south two back smash mouth type ball because there are less athletes and ball control is important. There are several loaded teams and I going to enjoy watching some ball this fall.
Since that game was an hour behind I listened to most of the 2nd half on the radio on my way home from the Manatee @ Apopka game... It definitely was suspenseful.

NW FL
(not in any order of precedence)

1A
Port St. Joe
Baker
Vernon
S. Walton

3A
Pensacola Catholic

4A
None, although Walton has a great RB

5A
Pensacola
West Florida

6A
Escambia
Niceville
Choctawhatchee

I was wondering what Escambia had coming back. They had a very good team last year until the issues arose.

Why are both Pine Forest and Pace down? Are all the good players heading to West Florida Tech? What about Tate? They had one of their best seasons every in 2014.

I don't think Escambia loses much outside of Gerald Bright (QB), Logan Walden (Safety, return man) and Kyihel Walker (DB). They should be fine on offense as long as they can find a qb.

Pace was the Quaide Weimerskirch show the last couple of years and once you contained him, they didn't have much else. The next running back up is soon to be junior Anthony Johnson who played fb when Quaide was in the game. I expect Johnson to be just as good as Quaide. If Pace can find a qb and a receiver or 2 they could be better than they were these last couple of years.

PF was young last year and was breaking in their new spread offense. If they can find a QB they'll be pretty good.

Tate was loaded with mostly junior and sophomores last year but they did lose Marquis Cass (LB) and Chris Terrell (DE). The offense will be pretty good but they need find some replacements for those 2 big time players above.

Originally posted by ProSetEye:

Proseteye,

Well, let's see. OTC has 19 Seniors departing. However only 8 or 9 are that significant. That being said the offense will lose the most:

QB Noah Schaffer
RB London Gaskin
RB Quandre Woods
WR Richie Denicola
WR Willie Young

Coming Back:

Jr QB Ryan Miller, 6' 3", 220. (Was supposed to start in 2014 but Schaffer got the nod because he was a Senior. Brantley always played Seniors unless there was a mitigating reason not to. Miller is very very good, though.)
Jr RB Robert Rivers
Jr RB Chris Guyton

Most of the OL will be back.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The defense will lose:

LB Marquis Hendrix
LB Ulysees Gilbert
DB Darrien McNair

(3 of the best in the business.)

Coming Back:

Top D-1 prospect DL Jordan Woods will be back along with most of the defense.

The losses on offense will hurt. But, at least the Celtics will have an experienced QB and a couple of up and coming RBs. At WR they will have to develop a lot as they lost a very experienced group.

My prediction:

The Celtics will be just about as good on defense as they were last season. They'll have a good DL and DB's. Jordan Woods will mentor the new LB's and this defense will come together by the 2nd or 3rd game of the season.

They will struggle somewhat on offense and may have to run the ball more than they like to until a receiving corp gets solidified. Miller is an excellent passer if he can get one WR consistent.

The Celtics will be playing higher classification teams in their out of district games, other than CCC, there will be 5A Jesuit, 5A South Sumter, and 7A Buchholz. May be a couple of others too.

As far as the other teams in this area, at this point I don't have a clue. Possibly later in the summer.

This post was edited on 2/26 9:53 PM by ProSetEye
Trinity Catholic also added Godby to their schedule, in addition to CCC, Jesuit, South Sumter, and Buchholz. They also play Wakulla in the Classic.

That's one hell of a schedule they got there... No one will deny you guys will be battle tested come playoff time.

If your team is actually a contender this year that schedule will have you primed and ready.

If our guys figure out that there not supposed to hand the other team the ball we'll be a good team. The talent is there to have a good team.

Originally posted by peezy28:
That's one hell of a schedule they got there... No one will deny you guys will be battle tested come playoff time.

If your team is actually a contender this year that schedule will have you primed and ready.
It's going to be tough, Peezy. OTC lost a lot on their offense, backfield and receiving corp. They also have a new HC and a couple of replacement assistant coaches coming in. Never know what will transpire over the summer. Hopefully they will work hard and I guess should be ready by the start of the season. Their KO Classic against Wakulla will give a hint.

Originally posted by peezy28:

It's going to be tough, Peezy. OTC lost a lot on their offense, backfield and receiving corp. They also have a new HC and a couple of replacement assistant coaches coming in. Never know what will transpire over the summer. Hopefully they will work hard and I guess should be ready by the start of the season. Their KO Classic against Wakulla will give a hint.

Originally posted by Drummer61:
nole, who's the toughest game, for Bosco Plant,Mainland or Lakeland.??
None since they aren't playing any LOL.

Talking 2015 teams (or shoot 2014 for that) it would be Mainland.

No stroking Bosco at all. Had a question about 3 specific teams against Bosco and wanted Fla opinion, not Jersey.. I have lived here for 20 years...........

Out of those 3 teams it's by far Mainland.

Lakeland is irrelevant now that they can poach all the good Polk County players, and Plant the same as well.

Transferring tightened up a bit, and Plant is very bad for great teams.

Bosco would crush Lakeland and Plant, but Mainland could hold up. Bosco usually has a average offense, and that plays into the strength of Mainland.

It would be the first to 10 wins. Lol

nole, thank you as this was all I asked for.. As usual, your a gentleman and good guy..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT