ADVERTISEMENT

FSU at Miami, Saturday at 3:30 pm

Neutral 0bserver

Sep 6, 2002
Big rivalry game. All bets could be off. The time is nigh (see footnote).

Biggest fans in FL is right here. Who you got?

Footnote: The word 'nigh' is probably misspelt. Not because Nu'Trelle is using 'ebonix' or whatever the vile, liberal leftist from Volusia County accuse him of doing, but simply because he have trouble wiff certain words.

Big rivalry game. All bets could be off. The time is nigh (see footnote).

Biggest fans in FL is right here. Who you got?

Footnote: The word 'nigh' is probably misspelt. Not because Nu'Trelle is using 'ebonix' or whatever the vile, liberal leftist from Volusia County accuse him of doing, but simply because he have trouble wiff certain words.
UM should win this game, FSU is a hot mess but all it takes is confidence in FSU’s part. You can’t tell me they don’t have the talent.

UM 31
FSU 14

I'm thinking home field advantage will give Miami the win. But, they might have won in Tallahassee this year also. FSU needs help but I really hope they give Willie Taggert a chance. Jimbo was ready to leave a few years ago and was really phoning it in.

Reactions: peezy28
I'm thinking home field advantage will give Miami the win. But, they might have won in Tallahassee this year also. FSU needs help but I really hope they give Willie Taggert a chance. Jimbo was ready to leave a few years ago and was really phoning it in.
Disagree on Taggart, Guy had one good year at USF and I thought his ego is not a good match in Tally.

FSU got their two best OTs back last week, notice they didn't give up a sack. Their Q started throwing the ball with some zip once he knew he might not get ripped in half.

Miami's front 7 is going to be a lot better than Louisville, but FSU is improving.

This will only be Perry's 2nd start (and they only had 45 Offesnive plays last week and were gifted with 3 TDs off turnovers). He hasnt seen the speed and defense like (a motivated) FSU should be capable of. They will try and confuse him. We'll see if Miami's O-line has found the right combination and they can sustain a running game, if they can might be a long night for FSU.

The Canes just about pulled off three wins when they were in the same boat as Willie and the Noles; with coaches who looked like deers in the headlights (Shannon and Golden).

Its a rivalry game with a lots of South Fl kids playing at home. But I do expect the Canes to win by no less than 10.

I got miami closer than i thought it would be a week ago but they should be able to win by 2 scores.

It's really a shame Miami lost to VT because VT has done nothing since then and Miami had continued to improve.

It all comes down to the Florida State offensive line versus the Miami defensive line. If the Noles can run (tall task for this offense) and keep Francois off the ground, they are absolutely capable of beating Miami. Top to bottom, Florida State is more talented than Miami. The trenches is where this game will be won or lost. Turnovers will of course be a major factor.

I expect a very close game. Something like 21-20. Pick 'em.

Gator Fans in North Florida want them Hurricanes to win, South Florida Gator Fans want them Noles to win…Us here in central Florida dont care who wins!!!

I'm an FSU fan but we have zero chance to block the Miami front 7. We can throw the ball a little but I'm not optimistic about our chances.

Miami 35
FSU 10

Reactions: anon_00zx5879k0jmw
I think Jking is in error also if he thinks top to bottom FSU has better talent than Miami.

I will give FSU Special Teams, but that's it.

Certainly not Coaching:

Willie Taggert Career Record: 9 Years, 50-52, .490 Win% (at major schools)
Mak Richt Career Record: 18 Years, 168-59, .740 Win% (at major schools)

Defense:

FSU is ranked 2nd (WORST on O) in Power 5 in TFL ALLOWED with 43. (Oregon State #1 with 44 TFL allowed)

Miami is ranked #1 (Best on D) in TFL with 60 ( Michigan #2 with 47)

37.6% of run plays against Miami have gone for a loss or no gain, BEST in FBS.

29.6% of FSU's run plays have gone for a loss or no gain, WORST in FBS.

(Not counting sacks)

Miami is #1 3rd down % defense

FSU is #122 3rd down % offense

Offense:

FSU got better with the two new tackles; Miami may have gotten a better passer replacing Rosier at QB, although Rosier willed the Canes to win last year at FSU and is available if the young cat get's in trouble. Think Miami has better backs and receivers, and improving O-line with two talented freshman getting snaps last week where they're needed most.

Overall:

Miami Lost their opener to an under ranked SEC Team.

FSU Lost their opener to an over ranked ACC Team.

As I recall a funny meme posted on FB that day when FSU had the late game:

Miami and Florida both said it couldn't get any worse - then FSU said, "Hold my Spear."

Last edited:
I think Jking is in error also if he thinks top to bottom FSU has better talent than Miami.

Certainly not Coaching:

Defense:

FSU is ranked 2nd (WORST on O) in Power 5 in TFL ALLOWED with 43. (Oregon State #1 with 44 TFL allowed)

(Not counting sacks)

Offense:

FSU got better with the two new tackles; Miami may have gotten a better passer replacing Rosier at QB, although Rosier willed the Canes to win last year at FSU and is available if the young cat get's in trouble. Think Miami has better backs and receivers, and improving O-line with two talented freshman getting snaps last week where they're needed most.

Overall:

Miami and Florida both said it couldn't get any worse - then FSU said, "Hold my Spear."
There's no argument from me that Miami has performed better this season. The FSU offensive line has been offensive and has had an impact on the entire team. I never put too much emphasis on stats. I'm talking player for player, FSU is more talented than Miami. Check the composite recruiting rankings over the last 3-5 years. Maybe that talent hasn't been developed at FSU, but coming in there really is no argument to be made for Miami. Implementing new schemes in all phases of the game is another reason the Noles have underperformed.

Miami should win the game. I've watched them play a couple times now. They are not as good as people seem to think.

Certainly not Coaching:

Defense:

(Not counting sacks)

Offense:

Overall:

And you can throw those coaching records out. Richt was at Georgia forever. I could win more than I lose at Georgia. Taggart has taken over messes at every stop. If he'd stayed at WKU or USF his record would be significantly better.

You mean him coaching in the SEC that's won 17 National Titles since 1980, and having a 740% winning percentage there, isn't up to snuff with Willie T?

Ok how about that cute little backpack thingy then?

Last edited:
You mean him coaching in the SEC that's won 17 National Titles since 1980, and having a 740% winning percentage there, isn't up to snuff with Willie T?

Ok how about that cute little backpack thingy then?
How many of those national championships did Lil Mark win? How many did he play for?

Richt did less with more than any coach in modern football. Look at what Smart is doing at Georgia. Done more in two years than Richt ever did.

Smart did that with Richt's players, but they still havent won a title - and won;t as long as Alabama is in the SEC.

But nice try comparing a less than 50% coach at FSU with a proven winner.

What has Taggart ever won aside form being the quickest coach to leave a few programs, so much so many of his staff stopped leaving with him?

I didn't compare the coaches. You did. If Smart doesn't get credit for what he's done at Georgia, neither does Richt at Miami. And Taggart doesn't get the blame for this Seminole team. That's Fisher's mess.

Hope it's a great game!

That's right Silver King. It was a great game. It was my eighth straight attending (11th total). It was the best attendance in Miami that I've been to. The atmosphere was befitting the rivalry. When FSU went ahead 27-7 I thought I was in the twilight zone. Of course, the Canes rose up and showed who the better team was. I hate to lose but if you told me before the game FSU would be leading in the 4th quarter and lose by one score I would have gladly taken it. Congratulations for the 2nd year in a row to Miami and it's fans.

Last edited:
I did not watch the game because the Gators were on at the same time. Did the Miami fans stick around until the end? If so, that was major progress. They have got to believe in the team and the coach. They will improve. It just takes some time.

Yeah, you haven't been paying attention. Hard Rock is becoming a place teams don't look forward to coming to (ask Notre Dame last season). The stands were packed with Canes fans. Now last week, FSU returned bunches of tickets because I guess their fans didn't believe they had a chance.

The announcers pointed out in the last 18 games (Most of the time when FSU was really good, and Miami was under NCAA sanctions, reduced scholarships and auditioning coaches), 15 were decided by less than one score. Ranking means nothing in this game.

Miami, with the QB change has been regrouping after LSU; Against FSU it was great Freshman TE, and OT who came off the bench allowing the RT to go back to his normal OG postion. That was a pretty big stage for Perry and it showed the first half - he was awful. But he made enough big plays to win.

Can't wait for next year and that Gator game, my one son who isn't a Canes fan is a Gator fan. He was at Santa Fe getting his Paramedic Firefighting when Tebow won that NC.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, Choctaw fan, they stuck around. The comeback started pretty early in the 3rd quarter so it was too early to give up. The place was a zoo. I was surprised how many FSU fans were there. A lot of FSU fans get their tickets through secondary markets. They get better seats.

The Canes had not beat FSU in Miami since 2004 so when the game ended many Canes released a good deal of emotion. It was time to celebrate.

I agree with Silver King that Hard Rock Stadium can be a tough place to play. The roof that goes around the top of the stadium really traps the noise. The warchant sounded great!

Choctaw fan, I would suggest you wear earplugs if you go to a game there. Miami has always artificially pumped crowd noise through the speakers for every FSU-Miami game I’ve been to there. They also put microphones in front of their band so you can hear them better. There is not one second of a break for eardrums as the DJ keeps the songs coming. I could go on but I’ll stop there. The volume over the speakers is entirely too loud.

Saturday’s Hurricane crowd did not need all this help. It was easily the best I had ever seen. When they come to Doak Campbell they always do a great job cheering for the Canes.

Last edited:
On artificial (amplified) noise.

The final HS football game that Nu'Trelle ever attended in the Miami area was a Miami Central vs. Columbus playoff match-up at F.I.U.

Columbus was the home team and brought their own speakers and amps into the house. When Columbus was on offense all you would hear was the pressbox P.A. announcer and regular crowd noise. Over the years, Nu'Trelle had attended any number of games in the venue and that was the norm.

But whenever the Rockets had the ball, well, there really are no words in the English language to adequately describe the noise level. Think in terms of an "obscene" level of noise and then multiply that by a factor of "10".

Nu'Trelle took paper napkins from the concession stand and made some earplugs. Didn't work. He cupped his hands and pressed them against the sides of his head. Better, but the noise was still unbearable.

The Rockets complained to game officials that they couldn't hear their QB's signals. The officials did nothing. They called a time out and couldn't even huddle on the sideline and hear each other.

A spectator sitting two feet from Nu'Trelle screamed something at the top of his lungs. Nu'Trelle couldn't make out one word.

This is NOT an exaggeration.

All of the speakers were lined-up beyond the East endzone and they were enormous.

Nu'Trelle had driven 120 miles one way to get there and the game had not been decided at the half, but he decided to throw in the towel and go home.

Without question it was the worst display of sportsmanship that Nu'Trelle ever witnessed at a football game. Like he said at the top, he never went back.

SK said:
"Can't wait for next year and that Gator game, my one son who isn't a Canes fan is a Gator fan. He was at Santa Fe getting his Paramedic Firefighting when Tebow won that NC."

My son was in Gainesville at the that same time. Small world! Where is the game next year? Should I take a second mortgage on my house to buy a ticket? They will probably cost that much.

That's right Silver King. It was a great game. It was my eighth straight attending (11th total). It was the best attendance in Miami that I've been to. The atmosphere was befitting the rivalry. When FSU went ahead 27-7 I thought I was in the twilight zone. Of course, the Canes rose up and showed who the better team was. I hate to lose but if you told me before the game FSU would be leading in the 4th quarter and lose by one score I would have gladly taken it. Congratulations for the 2nd year in a row to Miami and it's fans.
I prefer to think Coach Taggart rose up and showed what a horrible hire he was.

Maybe so Sir Galahad but if the refs did not blow the call on the wide receiver pass for a touchdown most people would be praising him for the best play call of the week. The Miami game overall has to be viewed as an improvement unless you think the Canes are overrated. Most high school coaches that I have spoken to think it’s going to take a couple of years before Taggart truly turns FSU around. Many have said he needs to get the players that fit his system. The coaches have no doubt Taggart will recruit very well especially with the recruiters he has on staff.

Time will tell. I'm very interested to see how they play against Wake Forest next week.

Last edited:
I prefer to think Coach Taggart rose up and showed what a horrible hire he was.
A lot of people are doom and gloom, but fail to realize that the Noles have been trending downward for a few years now. Having Dalvin masked some of the issues, but this team has some flaws that just can't be overlooked. Skill talent is there, but the offensive line is terrible and Francois is struggling physically and mentally. We also lack quality linebackers and the corners are too small for the scheme we are now running on defense. The recruiting ability of this staff will help to fix those issues quickly. I think Coach Taggart was a home run hire and will prove all the doubters and haters wrong.

Reactions: peezy28
We'll see how well they recruit the Miami area after that turn over back pack and the 20 point comeback win. Recruits notice these things. Right now, Florida, UCF and USF are far more attractive based on program potential.

I think Jimbo read the tea leaves. I hope FSU turns it around, but they have a pretty tough schedule coming up. It's good for the state when all the teams are hitting on all cylinders, but you can't change the fact that Taggart is a sub-500 coach at schools that are nothing like the pressure cooker of FSU - I fear FSU may be enteruing their Shannon/Golden era.

We'll see how well they recruit the Miami area after that turn over back pack and the 20 point comeback win. Recruits notice these things. Right now, Florida, UCF and USF are far more attractive based on program potential.

I think Jimbo read the tea leaves. I hope FSU turns it around, but they have a pretty tough schedule coming up. It's good for the state when all the teams are hitting on all cylinders, but you can't change the fact that Taggart is a sub-500 coach at schools that are nothing like the pressure cooker of FSU - I fear FSU may be enteruing their Shannon/Golden era.

CFB goes in cycles...

Also unless we are going to get his with Sanctions like UM did I think we will be fine. Just have to have the right players for the system you want to run or change the system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT