ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte 41-17 Port Charlotte

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Charlotte was a little short handed in the backfield tonight, but E-Mack carried the load with 5 TDs, three on three touches. The Tarpon's 99 points in two games against the Pirates shows they were overmatched. This week the paper made a big deal about one of their backs, the articles about the Tarps were about the team. It showed.

Tarpons advance to the Regional Final for the 4th time in 8 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmstaffNole
Thanks Mom, how did Venice fare tonight? I heard they were down by a couple scores but not sure what stage of the game that was.

Silver, what do you think of the Naples match up? From what I saw on the 11 o'clock news game clips last night the Eagles had their passing game working against the Wave.QB and big strong wide receiver(Byrd) were clicking.I thought of them more as running team but they apparently were putting it up last night.

I think they're a little like us, they will take what you give them. This is the time of year when RBs can be a a little beat up, so they have that option. I saw a few clips, looks like Ft Myers hung with them for a while. I think this is going to be a really good game, they haven't seen anybody down there with team speed, that can run and pass like we do. Or, with the D we have.

Looks like it could be a dog fight.Naples is always a tough place to play these days,unlike back in our era. My junior year coach Lay passed out during pre game speech but managed to recover and still coach the game as we beat them something like 43-13. Always wondered if there wasn't a little acting there for dramatic effect on his part.The next year up at Charlotte I believe we hung over 60 on them.

Reactions: Silver King
Was just checking out state brackets,it looks like the winner of Naples/Charlotte would get a home game against the winner of Mainland/Miami Central.Looks like Armwood will be home this week against Gainesville with the winner of that game facing the winner out of the panhandle.

Last edited:
Naples and Charlotte both score a lot of points so I anticipate a high scoring game unless someone's defense steps up and slows the other team's offense down. I think Charlotte can pull this one out.

Reactions: Tarpon75
My junior year coach Lay passed out during pre game speech but managed to recover and still coach the game as we beat them something like 43-13. Always wondered if there wasn't a little acting there for dramatic effect on his part.

Yeah, he ran that trick out a couple times as our DC - damn the D would get fired up. Now he did however pass out driving the track bus back from Ft Myers on US 41 doing about 60 MPH. Forget if it was Coach Thompson or who, that drug him out of the chair and jumped behind the wheel. Back then at night you were lucky to see three cars pass you between PG and FM.

Sorry Tarp, Region 4 ( Mainland/Central ) winner host semi-final.

So whichever of us wins should bring our guns? Reminds me of driving into work the Miami Boat Show in '81 just after the Liberty City riots. It was about midnight and I got stopped coming into town at a road block. The State Trooper asked, "You have any guns?" When I said "no," he said, "Here take these."

Silver from what I hear he's still going strong.Quite a character,had us ready to run through a wall that night.

Last edited:
Great motivator, great DC, great guy, just not an offensive coach. He followed Goldsmith (tough act to follow who also served as OC) with a team full of returning starters that made the state semi final game the year before. We won the Coral Coast Conference easily beating Venice; but went out in the first round against Tampa Catholic, which was for the Region back then. A bunch of us have talked a lot about it over the years, we should have gone much deeper.

He was a huge asset to have on the defensive side of the ball, but we played his upcoming team in the Senior game that CHS used to do. We coached ourselves and scored more points than we ever had as a group (just by running what worked from our Junior year) beating the upcoming team 48-6.

He was at our JV Game last month, his grandson is a good looking QB at Venice. Again, great guy, to be fair that was probably his first year as an OC. Always loved his screaming, fainting, putting on a helmet and jumping in on Oklahomas on occasion.

That first spring he had us dig a 6x6x6-foot pit out on Hell's Half Acre. Me and Dooley worked at Ehrenfelds Nursery; knew a shovel well, so he told us to dig. I said I'd be happy to if I got to break it in. It was ready for the first day of spring practice. We used to do eye-openers, do anything you want except kick or swing a helmet. Three of us went in the pit the first time, you had to throw your opponent out to win. It was a lot of fun, but with everyone standing around the side of the pit to watch, and running guys up against the side trying to push them out, the sugar sand started collapsing a little. I got a face full while all three of us were wrestling on the bottom. After our group he made us stop till we had time to shore up the sides. I guess it scared some of the younger kids, someone said something and the next day they filled it in - apparently the school board got wind of it.

Man I'm full of stories lately...

Last edited:
Great memories Silver. The pit thing wouldn't go over very well today would it?I can picture coach Lay riding around in his Triumph with his Great Dane Zuess in the front seat with him. Think it was a Trumph could have been a MGB.

You got that right. He was full of character. We'd be leaving the practice field during the 69 season and he'd pop in the Vietnam reference saying things like, "Don't bunch up, one mortar round will get you all."

Have to tell you, I'm loving these Coach Lay stories. He was a coach on my youngest son's freshman team and I'm not sure some of the parents knew what to think of him, but my son thought he was great.

He was a pretty young man back then. I'm serious he'd throw on a helmet and go, in the bag drills. Once we had both starting guards going against the linebackers (Lay coached them), with some back up backs to run reaction drills. The four of us there all ended up playing in college so it could get intense. My line coach, Mike Eader was an All-American from Missouri and he and Lay would jaw at each other and get everybody fired up. We were supposed to hit the LB and let them flow. I got tangled up with Burton Lawless (A FHSAA Top 100 player of all time) and the back never got touched. Lay got pissed at his effort - and Eader was letting Lay hear it. Lay screamed at Lawless and told him to give him his helmet, then jumped in. We were all a little astonished. He told the next guard, "you damn sure better go full speed," then fought him off and put a vicious form tackle hit on the back. Looked back at Burton and said: "That's how you #%*&@$ do it." I always felt bad for that back-up running back. Mom, did you know he was HC at Venice for a couple seasons after a couple at Charlotte?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT