ADVERTISEMENT

Charotte 17-10 Port Charotte

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
The Tarpon / Pirates have never played this game before Week 7. And since the Pirates got canceled last week, this was their opener. The Tarpons scored first in this one for (I believe) the first time in seven games, but also came from behind for the win and that’s been the recent norm in the series, outside of the Pirates win in 2019.

Both teams are down this season and this looked like a game that was going to be decided on the most mistakes - the Tarpons took bad penalties at inopportune times, but the Pirates ended up minus-one on turnovers and there was your difference with two evenly-matched teams.

In Maff's article in the H-T, the Pirate HC mentioned all his team’s issues during the week (Did say he wasn’t making excuses), but the Tarps had a big issue too.

Our DC, Cory Mentzer’s father passed away Thursday - I coached with Rick Mentzer when Cory and my youngest won the Pop Warner National Title in 2003. He was a good family man - two of our other coaches from that team were on the sidelines coaching and on the chain gang. It’s fitting Cory’s Defense faced a first and goal from the 6 which ended up back at the 35 and more importantly, stripped a ball on a breakaway run that allowed us to take the lead and then protect it, with 4+ minutes left ending drives with a sack and an INT. Journey Well Rick Mentzer you raised your son right.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT