ADVERTISEMENT

Any thoughts on 3A Round 2.

Fan 74

Dec 7, 2008
TCA vs. T County
OTC vs. T Catholic A lot of TC's in the north

Ox Acad vs. AHD
JC vs. CCC

South has a premier match up in OA vs. AHD should be a good match up.
Also interested in OTC vs. T Catholic.

Hope all are healthy for this week and remain thru out the play offs.

Tampa Catholic has a scary QB named Austin Sessums. 2,300 yds passing with 28 TDs. He has an excellent compliment of receivers. RB Devan Barrett has nearly 1,800 yds on the ground and 19 TDs. TC is loaded with D-1 talent. However, Lakeland Christian had about the same talent and look what happened to them.

With OTC you never know. They played an extremely difficult out of district schedule. A new coaching staff with a whole new philosophy including college formations, very few seniors on the team, quite a few transfers to public schools before the start of the season. After 11 games I feel that this team has come together and is playing pretty decent football. Whether that is good enough to defeat an awesome team like Tampa Catholic is anyone's guess.

The game is being played in Ocala and Coach Sturdivent will have the Celtics as ready as they can be. Don't know how good Tampa Catholic travels. But, Celtic Field will be standing room only.

If Tampa Catholic has any weakness it is probably in their defense. OTC will try to exploit that with a big OL opening up holes for some pretty good RBs. Chis Doty, replaced an injured Ryan Miller at QB a few games back. He completed some key passes against Lakeland Christian. This young man is turning out to be a real team manager behind center.

No prediction from me. OTC is just glad to be in the 2nd round. If they win they will want it more than Tampa Catholic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fan 74
what's a "college formation"?

It simply means the more complicated formations that are run in college football. Most high schools don't implement them and run relatively simplified formations due to the lack of sophistication on the part of 14 to 18 year old players. I know that Coach Sturdivent is trying to introduce the more complicated formations in his overall program for the Celtics.

Tampa Catholic has a scary QB named Austin Sessums. 2,300 yds passing with 28 TDs. He has an excellent compliment of receivers. RB Devan Barrett has nearly 1,800 yds on the ground and 19 TDs. TC is loaded with D-1 talent. However, Lakeland Christian had about the same talent and look what happened to them.

Well I have to disagree here and I am sure Jess is with me on this one... Talent Wise TC is much better than LC... But TC has a penchant to choke and or not show up in big games. I think OTC will win.

It simply means the more complicated formations that are run in college football. Most high schools don't implement them and run relatively simplified formations due to the lack of sophistication on the part of 14 to 18 year old players. I know that Coach Sturdivent is trying to introduce the more complicated formations in his overall program for the Celtics.

HAMMER, those college formations can be difficult to learn.

Reactions: The.Hammer
I, for one, agree with Peezy! Tampa Catholic has amazing athletes, some of the best in HS for all classes- but there coaching really holds them back. Lakeland Christian has some amazing coaching, but they don't have the flat out raw amount of athletes that Tampa Catholic has.

The Ocala Prep Sports show made a grade point. Tampa Catholic isn't, say, Jacksonville Trinity, Wakulla or any of the other powerhouses on OTC's schedule, but LCS doesn't have a Nate Craig, Bentlee Sanders, Darious Corbett or Noah Carlson on their teams.

When you see Tampa Catholic's offense, they are intimidating- just looking at Nate Craig, he is amazing, but he's only one cog in the TC offensive machine. I think the most impressive person on their roster though is the running back Devan Barrett.

I also agree with Peezy 100% that the Crusaders choke a lot. OTC can have a lot of success running the ball on the Crusaders defense. In their two losses, the Crusaders have given up close to 900 yards rushing. 450+ to CCC and 380+ to Jesuit. OTC is a very good running team and think they can have success.

Tampa Catholic has to be favored in this game simply because of there athletic advantage; however, to me, it's not an upset if OTC wins.

Brought me out of retirement with this one.... "college formations" I love it!

"Now men, we're going to learn a college formation. In high school, we have to have seven men on the line of scrimmage. Well, you have to in college also, but they stand in different places."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT