ADVERTISEMENT

Class 3A Regional Playoff Primer

SPCjessica2004

Sep 24, 2007
Class 3A Regional Playoff Football Primer:

The season in Class 3A has been a wild one. Jacksonville Trinity Christian didn’t miss a beat from 2014, Tampa Catholic has reeled off an impressive 8-2 season behind some of the top playmakers in the nation, Oxbridge Academy has put together a marvelous 8-2 record in their first year in 3A . 3A mainstay American Heritage has once again lived up to their proud tradition. There were upsets in districts, who expected Holy Trinity from Melbourne to be 7-3? Berkeley Prep missing the playoffs? Orlando First Academy missing the playoffs?

Without further adu, let’s take a look at the regions. Please note- this is a REGIONAL preview- not a state preview. I’m doing regional previews to cover as many teams as possible.

CLASS 3A REGION 1

Taylor County(5-5) vs Jacksonville Providence (3-6)
Jacksonville Trinity Christian (10-0) vs Pensacola Catholic(2-8)

At the start of the season, I had Jacksonville Trinity Christian pegged as #2 in my preseason rating and figured they might finish 8-2 or 7-3. Instead, JaxTCA has dominated everyone they’ve played from 8A powerhouses to 2A powerhouses. It’s made no difference. The two-time defending state champion is still playing lights out defense, but the offense is playing at a level than even the past championship teams didn’t hit.

Pensacola Catholic has struggled this year going 2-8 and finishing as a runner-up in theri district behind a 5-5 Perry Taylor County team that’s played a tough schedule. While Pensacola Catholic wasn’t expected to be a powerhouse, I did expect them to finish better than 2 wins and I did expect them to win a home game.

Pensacola Catholic faces a 350 mile, 5 hour drive to Jacksonville. While I do think the Crusaders will get better by next season, I can’t imagine this game being very competitive after the first quarter.

By far the most interesting game in this region is Taylor County playing Jacksonville Providence. Both teams have played competitive schedules. Looking at Providence, they’ve played some state powers!
I’m picking Taylor County in this one, but I think that has a chance to be a pretty fun game.

REGION 1 FAVORITE:

To say Jacksonville Trinity Christian is the favorite is an understatement. Assuming JaxTCA beats Pensacola Catholic, they would host the round 2 game as well.

CLASS 3A REGION 2

Ocala Trinity Catholic(3-7) vs Lakeland Christian School (9-1)
Tampa Catholic(8-2) vs Winter Park Trinity Prep(8-2)

Region 2 has some VERY interesting games going on.

When was the last time a 3-7 district champion hosted a 9-1 district runner-up? I’m sure it’s happened, but no- that’s not a misprint. Ocala Trinity over the course of the year has seen some of the very best teams and athletes Florida has to offer- while the Celtics did take there lumps, they also convincingly won their district.

Lakeland Christian School suffered a tough break early in the season when starting Senior QB Tyler Wilkerson went down with an ACL injury. LCS managed to upend Berkeley Prep in OT by blocking an extra point to win. Vikings football is clearly on the rise as last year the team made the Final 4 and now with a 9-1 team, expectations are though the roof.

To me LCS is the favorite by virtue of their clear speed advantage, but if OTC can limit the LCS offense and go on long time-consuming drives the Celtics can win this one.

Winter Park Trinity Prep has been a pleasant surprise this season. Many people felt that Orlando First Academy would knock the Saints off; however, credit to Trinity Prep- they’ve put together a strong season and finished it by knocking off a game Orlando Lake Highland team 42-41 this past Friday.

Tampa Catholic finished the season a very strong 8-2; however, for the 16th straight year lost to arch-rival Tampa Jesuit 35-20. The Crusaders offense has been nothing but magical against teams not named CCC and Jesuit.

REGION 2 FAVORITE

From a pure athletic standpoint Tampa Catholic has to be considered the favorite in this region based on their performance; however, as awesome as the Crusader offense is the defense won’t let them become a heavy favorite in this region- especially against teams with strong running backs.

CLASS 3A REGION 3

Ft. Pierce John Carroll Catholic (7-3) vs Sarasota Cardinal Mooney (2-8)
Clearwater Central Catholic (10-0) vs Melbourne Holy Trinity (7-3)

For the first time since 2004 John Carroll Catholic not only made the playoffs, they won their district. The Golden Rams are playing very strong right now having won 6 of their last 7 including a strong road win over Glades Day this past Friday.

Sarasota Cardinal Mooney has had a tough season this year losing to strong teams such as Bishop Verot, Venice, CCC, and Lemon Bay. The sole bright spot has been the QB Tristian Hillerich who has had a strong season despite the record.

Being the first home playoff game since 2004, I expect John Carroll to come out and set the tone early against a clearly overmatched Mooney team.

At the start of the season I truly did not think Melbourne Holy Trinity would win 7 games this year and I didn’t expect them to beat Melbourne Central Catholic. To say the program is heading in the right direction under first year coach Nate Hooks is an understatement. Holy Trinity features one of the top running backs in the entire state of Florida Jashaun Corbin who has 23 total touchdowns and is just shy of 2000 total offensive yards.

Clearwater Central Catholic is sitting at 10-0 and in great shape not only for 2015, but especially 2016 as the Marauders will return almost their entire team intact on both sides of the ball. Because of the youth of the Marauders, it wasn’t expected they’d be 10-0. What’s more amazing is that they haven’t featured superstar Jr. CJ Cotman. In only one game this season has the Jr. touched the ball more than 10 times. In 3 games, he hasn’t touched the ball more than 3 times.

Holy Trinity is having a terrific season and should be respected for what they’ve accomplished, but CCC is a totally different beast than anything they’ve seen this year.

REGION 3 FAVORITE

Clearwater Central Catholic has won 4 consecutive district championships and 3 consecutive regional championships and I see no reason why they don’t win a 4th regional championship this year.

CLASS 3A REGION 4

Oxbridge Academy(8-2) vs Chaminade-Madonna(9-1)
Miami Westminster Christian (8-1) vs American Heritage DelRay(8-2)

To say Oxbridge Academy has been impressive in their first year of classification football is an understatement. They played a very respectable schedule, they feature numerous amazing athletes and only have losses to Miami Carol City and McCallie of Tenneesee. I think the game that put Oxbridge on the map as a big time program was their 24-7 win over American Heritage to essentially win the district.

Chaminade-Mandonna is another team that’s been mighty impressive this season. Chaminade has a history of elite level football and outside of a gut-wretching loss to Miami Westminster Christian has taken on all challenges. My eyes were open after they beat University School 40-7.

I can make a case that Miami Westminster Christian should be 9-0 right now. The Warriors only played 9 games. In their game against a very good Sebring team they found themselves down 21-0 and managed to get back into the game in the 3rd, down 21-13 with the ball bad weather came and the game was called with no make-up date.

American Heritage DelRay has been the poster child of what it means to be a small school South Florida Football team. When you think of Speed, Power, Athletes, Pre-Game antics the Stallions have been that team. The Stallions hit the season on the road early and suffered a bad loss at Bergen Catholic in NJ but then boucned back to knock off Glades Central. In their big game against Oxbridge the Stallions struggled, then they turn around and pummel Fort Pierce Central. The season has had for more ups and than downs this year.

REGION 4 FAVORITE
You can make a case for all 4 teams to survive this region. This is by far the most competitive region in 3A. My preseason prediction was American Heritage and while the Stallions did lose to Oxbridge earlier- I’m not going to change my prediction. I think the Stallions have righted the ship and will come out of Region 4.

Reactions: Fan 74
Jess - Great analysis of the upcoming playoff road. I agree with you that 3A south is very tough to call, and a total toss-up between Oxbridge and AHD (Westminster and Chaminade may also have something to say before its all over down south.) Right now, I'll have to go with Oxbridge based on the regular season outcome, but I wouldn't be shocked to see AHD come out of that region either. I also agree that CCC should represent its region against either Oxbridge or AHD. It's at this point in the "final four" game that I have to wonder if CCC's soft schedule catches up to them. Oxbridge and AHD have both played pretty tough schedules for 3A programs and should be ready for CCC's athletes. TCJax should, barring a major upset, come out of the North region. We play a 2-8 runner up this week in Pensacola Catholic that has really struggled this year. Providence vs Taylor is and intriguing game, and if Taylor can't stop J. Wakefield it could get interesting. Senior RB Wakefield is a good, big back and will get it 40 times against Taylor. Out of the North, I see TCJax travelling to Tampa Catholic in the final four matchup in what should be a good game against a solid program. TCJax has played a good schedule and seems to be playing well on both sides of the ball right now. Should be great few weeks !

Reactions: te35
I am taking Oxbridge out of Region 4. For those that think they don't play ball in 3A there are about 5 teams in 3A that could compete for a state title in any division.

Reactions: Fan 74
Anyone know what happened to Pensacola Catholic? Last 4 years they were competing for a state title in 5A move back down to 3A and wow 2-8

I think graduation hit them (Pensacola Catholic ) hard and they have had some key injuries this year as well. Last time we played them in the playoffs TCJax lost 22-21 on a blocked field goal. Looking forward to this one on Friday

I have a question, does anybody know if there will be a State Championship bowl game after the State Championships this year like last year?

Great question, I have not seen any advertisements for it this year.

Great job Jess, I've been wanting to read your analysis since It was first posted but I was in Mexico as a tour guide and didn't have lots of free time.

I have to agree with everything and can't wait for Friday night when Oxbridge and AHD play. Should be a classic.
I feel CCC will probably rep the south region against an always very good TC Jax in the championship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT