ADVERTISEMENT

6A, #9 Matanzas at #3 Mainland

Dan in Daytona

Nov 20, 2008
The 6-0 Pirates vs The 6-1 Buccaneers. Both are undefeated in District 13. Tonight one of these plunderers is going down with the ship . Fairly new Matanzas High broke in the AP state rankings for the first time in their existence earlier this week. On paper their schedule to date looks pretty soft. They had a bye last work to get "extra ready" for this one. How they preform against the "real deal" should be interesting. Mainland is coming off their first regular season loss since early 2013 ( 6-0 at American Heritage- Plantation ). Rocket man RB Adrian Killins is questionable for the game with a high ankle sprain. St Edward's of Ohio, taught this 2015 Mainland team a lesson in humility last week. Was the loss an indicator of things to come or was it a wake up call ? Matanzas, impostor, or the truth ? Answers at eleven....

Final :
Mainland 43 Matanzas 0

Last edited:
Not an expert, but Propst won at Hoover, came over to Colquitt and quickly made them the top team in southern Georgia passing by Camden County ( saw Miami Central play there several years ago ) Great home field stadium in Kingsland. Don't think Pettis has won a title yet. Darlington, Castle, Corky Rogers, Smith (STA) are all great coaches. The best.. I don't know.

Mainland 43 Matanzas 0

Did I mention it was Mainland's homecoming. Big crowd, festive atmosphere, attractive young people everywhere, and a home town blow out victory to boot. Being the first ever meeting between the schools, I'm not sure Matanzas knew what they were in for. Mainland scored early and often except for a 20 minute stretch when the Matanzas defense was pretty stout. The Mainland defense was dominate over the Pirates simplistic run offense all night long. This team should still be the favorite for the district runner up spot. Though the competition was nothing like last weeks disappointment, to me this was Mainland's best showing of the year. Clean, efficient, red flags at a minimum, kickoffs and punting were very solid, and offense/defense were rolling. Nice job Bucs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT