ADVERTISEMENT

Wil Grier

The_Shortpasser_10

Oct 12, 2015
I've been a lifelong Gator fan and have been amazed by the progress of Grier and the program under Coach McElwain. But what Grier did was dumb and there is no excuse whatsoever. I do believe it was on over the counter medication or supplement probably meant to help his illness recovery (speculation). But even if it was sinus medication you have to know at that level what you are putting in your body. The players are constantly told not to take anything without consulting the medical staff and they have no need to take anything but what the staff provides. The steroid rumors are nonsense, he put on 40lbs in 2 years. That's commonplace given the training, training tables, and legal supplements provided by the trainers. This was a case of someone being stupid. And like all of us, doing something stupid has consequences.

Hard to feel sorry for him when there is ssssssooooooo much info available to him. Completely preventable.

I have a question on his scholarship. Does he retain it for this entire school year or will he have to pay it himself? They can't consider it a redshirt year because he was already redshirted. I don't know what kind of background he comes from but, for many players, having to pay could mean the end of their college career.

I agree it was probably something he took for the flu. Too bad some people have misused Sudafed, making it now unavailable for all. It really works!

I hope the best for the Gators on Saturday but I was much more confident of Grier's abilities than those of Harris.

He keeps his scholarship..

Honestly when your a college scholarship athlete and you have the flu they have much better stuff to get you healthy faster than sudafed. Which that is not what he was taking he was taking Terminus by L3

How did you find that out? I didn't see it in any article. What does that do for you?

Choctaw... I typically don't depend on journalist articles when I have 1st hand information. This information comes from a member of their training staff that I am in close acquaintance with. The product is called L3 Terminus and it is used for muscle and weight gain

Gatorman... this is what he took whether you want to believe it or not... The school will not release it but like I said... I know somebody..

I would say don't give a 19 year old the benefit of the doubt in saying "I personally cant believe that Grier would have been stupid enough"

Again believe what you want (and I don't know WHY he took it) but this is what caused the failed test results.

I was going strictly on speculation as I know first hand that the way they train qb's he wouldn't have needed to juice to gain weight. That being said I trust peezy on his word as he's the man with a source. In any case the young man made a very bad decision and he and his teammates are suffering the consequences. Let's hope Treon can be the qb we all hoped he would be when he signed with UF

http://www.gatorzone.com/carter/blo...wsletter&utm_campaign=florida-gators-football

This article on the Gator website says he only gained 20 pounds which is not excessive for a redshirted freshman. And anyone associated with the program should keep their mouths shut! I hate when unnamed sources give information. How can journalists even print that garbage?

Whatever, it was a very stupid move on his part!

Choctaw... I have a friend... who was a college roommate.. who is currently a member of the UF staff. He tells me things... we are friends you know. I decided to share it here (never shared stuff before and I guess I never will again with this reception). I am not a journalist by any means. I am sorry that you are so offended by me sharing insider information with you. Next time I will leave you to your assumptions and speculations if that is okay with you. It is not a big secret. The UF staff was asked by the SEC to share the information with all other training staff's in the SEC and they did so to make sure others don't run into the same problem.

You all really should not hold your football programs to high standards... they are ALL dirty in some way shape or form... EVERY.LAST.ONE.OF.THEM.

Carry on

Reactions: rjd18
I agree with Peezy, it was L3 from what I heard also. My info is 3rd hand though so who knows...

Sorry Peezy! I did not mean to attack you. However, knowing the drug he took makes no difference to me. I don't have to know every detail. I did hope it was an error trying to overcome the flu. That would be so much better that taking a new supplement not authorized by the school.

I am glad the school shared the information with other SEC schools. Why didn't they go ahead and share it with the press? The less you tell the press, the more they speculate and dig.

That's a good article - I was a journalist for a decade and my observation is that guy must feel he's up for a Pulitzer to put all that effort in replying to to all those interesting comments. Be he does cover a lot of basis.

That's a good article - I was a journalist for a decade and my observation is that guy must feel he's up for a Pulitzer to put all that effort in replying to to all those interesting comments. Be he does cover a lot of basis.

Regarding a quote from Grier's father in that article--Is it considered "owning it" if the reason people know is because you got caught?

I agree, MustangMom. Why isn't Grier or the school disclosing what he took? If it's a hidden substance in an OTC supplement, disclosing it can only help others.

I agree, MustangMom. Why isn't Grier or the school disclosing what he took? If it's a hidden substance in an OTC supplement, disclosing it can only help others.

I was watching the Ol' Miss game and the reporter said Grier wasn't the only Florida player with the flu. Makes me wonder who else took the stuff. I can understand its a mistake. Keeping it out of the press probably helps Grier's appeal.

I am actually not sure why they only responded to SEC request but I see it as the SEC is like an extended family and they behind close doors look out for each other.

No not based on this

"Grier could also seek a reduction of penalty based on mitigating circumstances, but the NCAA appeal rules state the committee will not consider, "the type or amount of banned substance detected through the drug test; evidence of the student-athlete's good character; the degree of remorse demonstrated by the student-athlete; family hardship or history of family dysfunction; and the degree to which the banned substance may or may not affect athletic performance."

Instead, the NCAA will only consider an argument the school's drug education program was inadequate and hindered Grier's judgment or he was unable to discern he was using a banned substance due to circumstances beyond his control."

Would be nice if we took one of the next two. That would set us up nicely for the next 3 before FSU.

2 out of 2 would be incredible. Fournette is the truth, though. LSU obviously needs the pass for elite run defenses.

He was in a battle with Harris all summer and in to the first few weeks of the regular season. Enough of the innocent deer in the headlights. He was looking for an edge.

Reactions: jbaby32
If that's why he did it, he's a fool! In the past few weeks, he has matured by leaps and bounds. In first start, he was overthrowing everyone and throwing extremely hard. Remember the receiver he hit in the back? Last game almost all his passed looked great. You don't get that skill from a bottle!

I hope they win them all but 9-3 would still be a great season.

I would bet that at least 50% of college players use illegal drugs and also OTC enhancers. Apparently this was an over the counter substance that is actually legal, in accordance with the FDA, but for some reason not the NCAA. My take is that someone or some entity was gunning for Grier.

Reactions: Cat_Scratch
Not a big "conspiracy guy" save that for Fox News...it's a joke, Teabaggers.....we don't want Drummer going all political on us:)

Yeah your guy just failed a test. Its as simple as that. He took some stuff he should have asked his training staff if it was okay to take... A 2 minute conversation cost him a year of football...

Its really that simple... Trust me when I say he is not the only college athlete tested this year... He is just the only big name QB at a big name school that tested positive... NO one is out to get the Gators or Grier.

Certainly don't think there was a conspiracy to get Wil Grier. But c'mon Dan, don't limit the conspiracy theorists to the right. Hillary harps on "the right-wing conspiracy ".

Shortpasser, you're right. No way do I want to open a political can of worms when this message board is starting to hum.... Now for what's really important... How far does a retired QB have to lead SilverKing on a "go" pattern ?

The term go is relative with SK. Typically I get the snap, look left, right, scramble a little, then hit him for an 8 yard gain in the middle after he's posted up. SK is a multi-sport athlete though. He and I beat a D1 basketball player and his brother who was a juco player in 2 on 2. And yes, they were both about 20 at the time. I'm not going to claim I beat a D1 player in hoops and leave out he was 9 at the time.

Thanks for the clarification, Shortpasser. I thought it was somewhere between a 6 inch BBQ'd short rib and an 18 inch Italian hoagie. But a post-up , using his backside to clear space, makes more sense.

I wouldn't lead SK at all, I would give him the ball and let em run up the middle. Just tell him they is some wimens from the Netherlands cheering for him on the sidelines. Have some of Nu'trelles lassies wearin cheer outfits behind the benches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT