ADVERTISEMENT

Who you watching tonight?

Roadkillav8r

Sep 4, 2010
Niceville, FL
I'm going to Escambia at Niceville. I'm hoping the Eagles stay more focused in the second half and really put the game away. I'm also anxious to watch the QB Jeff Toney. He was a beast last week when he ran the ball. He needs to have a bit more finesse on his passes early in the game. He can put so much zip on the ball it isn't catchable.

Keep us updated throughout the game. Sounds like BTW at Navarre would be a great game!

Most all Tampa Bay area games are not being played tonight.... even though we got little rain and some sunshine today...

Washington is a lot more competitive this year than they have been in a while! Cholly must be doing something right!

Well, Choctaw isn't! They lost to Pine Forest 46-10 after losing to Gulf Breeze last week. 0-2 is not a good start!

On radar, it looked like those feeder bans were still coming all late afternoon, but they fizzled out offshore and no rain in Punta Gorda last night.

SK, I see Port Charlotte took care of Barron Collier. They may be more competition for our team than you first thought.

Like I said, they went to the 2nd round of the playoffs last year, beating Peezy's team who he felt was supposed to be pretty good. They just had a tough time with the Tarps.

HS football in Tampa is dead. As Peezy said, games were cancelled due to weather but all we had was rain. No EFFORT to reschedule the games by terrible Hillsborough County administrators. The AD should be fired. The county has turned its sports program from one of the best into a joke. The kids and coaches that pour so many hours and effort just get it taken away arbitrarily. I would look to play for a private school or leave the area if I was a ball player with aspirations to play at the next level because Hillsborough County is a joke.

Hell, our one terrible local paper doesn't even cover High School sports anymore. There was one half of one page of coverage today. Same thing last week. We used to have two papers that had three to five pages of coverage every Saturday. If you are a coach or a player get out now.

I am not a fan of our local paper, Northwest Florida Daily News, but I will give kudos to them for covering high school sports very well. Every sport, every game. I'm always amazed when I go to read about high school sports in a metropolitan area and it barely gets mentioned. I'm glad I live where I live.

Reactions: peezy28 and 181pl
HS football in Tampa is dead ... our one terrible local paper doesn't even cover High School sports anymore. There was one half of one page of coverage today. Same thing last week. We used to have two papers that had three to five pages of coverage every Saturday...
Now that we are in full "free agency" mode, most districts in most metro areas will be dominated by one team. As teams that were at one time at least "moderately-competitive" get trounced, interest will continue to wane and media coverage will continue to shrink.

It's not necessary to be a five time undefeated Jeopardy champion to figure this out. All it takes is a bit of common sense. Destroy competition, destroy interest.

A few weeks ago, Nu'Trelle posted about a interstate match-up televised on ESPN and hosted by Lakewood (OH) St Edwards. Home stands looked 35-40% empty. Nu'Trelle asked "Why?" No one offered an answer.

Nu'Trelle provided a hint. He explained that he showed up at St. Ed's one Saturday night when they hosted Cincinnati Moeller. Both teams were Top 5 of Division I (largest class in OH) and both were loaded with D-1 prospects. It was the only game in town, yet the stadium was only half-full and Nu'Trelle sat on the 50 yard line.

The answer: St. Edwards always plays with a roster of full-blown "mercenaries" - players who have been talked into leaving other schools in the greater Cleveland area. The Eagles, as well as fellow private school powerhouse Cleveland St. Ignacious, each have modest fan bases, but each is almost universally despised by Clevelanders ... not because of their success, but how they have gone about achieving it.

You couldn't get most fans to go watch a game in that stadium if you offered free tickets and a limo ride. The program is THAT MUCH despised.

Reactions: 181pl
My nephews play at St X in Cincinnati. I went to a game last year at St X. Great experience. Great student body, great tailgate with the parents, and a huge crowd on both sides. It actually reminded of a game at Niceville. Except we can't tailgate like a Catholic school. If parents support it makes all the difference, and I don't mean parents of players, it takes the whole school.

Reactions: 181pl
Tonight I'll be back at Eagles stadium for Niceville vs Godby. Interesting article in the local mullet wrapper, coach Hicks swears the crowds this year are the biggest ever. Both sides full, standing room only and pretty much only Niceville fans as the other teams haven't traveled well.

SK, that should be a great game. I watched Barron Collier's JV team lose to Immokalee last night. At least they scored this time!

Roadkiller, Hicks likes to embellish often. If the crowds are so large, why isn't he petitioning them to add more seats to the stadium? I have always said that stadium is way too small for the size of the school. Instead of increasing the stands, they kept building more buildings around it. And, there's really no place else to put a new stadium. Oh well, have fun and I hope they do well!

I've thought a lot about how to build more stands. It's an odd set-up to add too. You'd have to do it in the south end zone. It's the only available space. Huge crowd again tonight, but I'm not sure extra seating would equal extra people. Averaging over 8000. Makes for a good payday

There's no need to add additional seating to Niceville....just bring in the bleachers for the south end zone for playoff games and it is fine. That's what they did for Lakeland Niceville in 2005...it was electric that night....but 99% of the time the stadium is fine. As for Choctaw I'm glad they have more seating....they can all spread out in that half filled stadium ever Friday........and before Choctaw says anything negative I said "half filled" not half empty.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT