ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 23 IMG White 17 Kickoff Classic Final

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
There was nothing really flashy about IMG White, they were a typical Blue Collar bunch. Manatee did just enough to stay close, and then on its final as well as winning score, Got one of its speedy WR open in space.........couple of nice moves and it was all over as the WR left everyone in his dust for a game winning TD. I believe I understand why everyone wants Jaquez to remain its head coach, but I'm going to state it as plainly as I can once again...........he sucks as OC and play caller. He needs to drop the experiment of Pinder at LB and let him be his primary RB........Pinder is head and shoulders better then anyone else Manatee can put at RB! Manatee needs to take a close look at it middle linebacker play, in order for its defense to be somewhat effective it needs a enforcer at the middle linebacker position. Tonight's game was a game where the MLB was basically man handled by the IMG OL almost the entire game. I suggested to the guys that were sitting around me, that Ean Johnson-Kelley #55 has the speed, physicality and the right mentality for the position..........presently Manatee plays him at DE. I remember a few year back when Manatee played STA, STA had Dallas Turner and Tyreak Sapp on defense. The entire game both these guys were lining up all over the field and were total disruptors the entire game. Ean Johnson-Kelley is this type of player, playing him exclusively on the DL is short changing your defense......my opinion. I liked the blocking on the whole by the Manatee WR group! Wasn't a pretty game for Manatee, there also must have been 8 - 10 stoppage of play due to Manatee players cramping up

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkECannon
Was going to Sumner @ East Bay but weather caused us to think otherwise. If it was a regular season game probably would have made it to Gibsonton. Instead went to see the movie MEG. It was intense and seemed too long. MEG was entertaining but you could predict what was about to happen many times.

Your movie review reminded me of what happens when you take your wife to the game......pictures of the sky!

367441036_10223666093627149_5877887582186160698_n.jpg

Perhaps they were auditioning other running backs? This is the time to do it.

The Tarps started sloppy, with a freshman QB and three sophomores on the offensive line, and had four turnovers. The D kept them in it, scoring 14 points (#1 Hall had two pick-6s) until the O got moving and broke in the new Tarpon Scoreboard with a 41-17 victory. Fish will need better ball security to have a shot at Dunbar next week.
Our 2002 National Championship Pop Warner Team (Coach Menzer and my youngest were on that team. I was an OL coach) was honored before the game on this 20th anniversary. It was much fun seeing these young men and their families and kids.

I head from somebody there that Ft Myers Rolled up 41 points the first half.

Last edited:
Very competitive game. Good warm up for this weeks opener at Lake Minneola. Still some areas for improvement. Manatee not being able to practice outside much due to the FHSAA heat index rule showed in conditioning. Manatee will put the fastest team on the field top to bottom that they probably have ever had. They will be fun to watch offensively. Four of their skilled kids ran on Manatee's 4X100 state championship runner up team. Manatee who returns 9 starters on defense will get better with the return of two starters in LB Damontez McDowell and DL Alvoid Keenon. Also watch All State transfer DB #8 Raheim Sexil who has already signed with FIU.

#1 KeiShawn Smith who scored both Manatee TD's is a player to keep an eye on. Also #20 Trayvon Pinder. He will split time at RB and LB. The 220 pounder will be a load to bring down as he showed on a couple of his carries. Returning starter at RB Corey Sanders and RB Ty'ron Jackson will both be fun to watch. Offensive line has all new starters and will get better and the year goes. It should be a fun team with a lot of talent. Go Canes!

Reactions: MarkECannon
The 4x100 team ran its fastest time of the 2023 track season at region finishing 2nd with a school record time of 41.10, at state they finished 3rd with a time of 41.45 (actually tied with 3 other schools for 3rd). Pinder has ran for over 1000 yards for both his Soph & Junior seasons, is a physically imposing back, has outstanding vision at the line scrimmage and was surprisingly fast for a back his size......., in my mind he needs to be your #1 back. Cory will play at the next level as a DB, not RB.
Wasn't aware of the new limits the FHSAA had in place regarding heat and football practice, until this this week Monday. So yes that went a long way to explaining the excess cramping during the contest last Friday. Was surprised at the lack of motion in the Manatee offense this past friday, and wondered if maybe some things on offense were held back, since the game didn't really count? Not a big fan with the way RBs are substituted during drives, I feel its too disruptive with offensive flow......would instead like to see more 2 back formations with both Pinder and Sanders in the back field at the same time.

There was fair amount of substitution on the OL, this past Friday during the game. That tells me there is still some thought going into who exactly is the starting 5 on the OL......but all in all I thought as a unit they did a acceptable job. TE looked good catching the ball, but like last year's TE, missed a fair share of blocks too......1st game so certainly correctable by seasons end.

Manatee DBs are going to have their hands full Friday with the Lake Minneola WRs and passing game in general, particularly #3 Braylon Knauth, kid possesses outstanding ability to create separation! Minneola jumped out to a 27-7 lead on Dr Philips last week, only to hang on to win 27-20 with Dr Phillips at the Lake Minneola 30 yard line at the conclusion of the game. Dr Phillips has had consecutive 4-6 seasons, so it's hard to really get a read where Dr Phillips will be as a team this coming season?

Cal Preps has Manatee as a double digit underdog for this contest. In fact as of the start of the season they have Manatee as a underdog for 6 of Manatees 10 regular season contests. I see Manatee finishing with either 5 or 6 wins.......primarily due to coaching. Jaquez needs 7 wins this season to keep from becoming 1 of 2 Manatee coaches in the last 80 plus years to finish with a 3 year cumulative losing record.....Jack Mackie in the 60s being the other coach.

Last edited:
Oh boy, you're saying fastest team ever? And we scheduled them this year starting 8 or more sophomores and freshmen.

That's a bold statement, I remember two years think 2003 and 2004 that Manatee went up 7-0 in both games with KO returns before 8-10 seconds clicked off the clock.

Going to be a very talented team! Manatee has always had fast individuals but not as many. Can that result in wins? We will see. We host Charlotte

Going to be a very talented team! Manatee has always had fast individuals but not as many. Can that result in wins? We will see. We host Charlotte
They had speed since I played 1/2 century ago. Like Venice, they're lethal when they pair it with a very good OL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT