ADVERTISEMENT

Vernon

xcat1969

Dec 24, 2008
Little bird told me that the King o' Slap Willie Spears is gonna be their new head football coach.

Just freakin' WOW!

Willie Stargell is "king of slaps," more specifically, "NFL king of slaps." Get yo facts skrait!!

Interviews are done. Decision tomorrow. And yes, Spears is a candidate.

Heard that Spears will be the coach @ Vernon. Interesting selection.... who were the other choices does anyone know?

The lure of returning as a football coach near his hometown led Willie Spears to accept a combined role at Vernon High School.

The former Escambia High coach, who was fired in September and has worked since February as co-host on the new morning show, "The Daily Brew" on BlabTV, will become athletic director and football coach at the Class 1A school in Washington County.

Vernon High is about 40 miles north of Panama City. Spears is a 1996 Panama City Rutherford graduate. He went on to play as a receiver at Northwestern Oklahoma State while earning a communications degree, then attained his master's degree at Troy University.

"It's going back home for me," Spears said. "My wife will be able to get a job there. It will be about a 20 minute drive from where we will live in Lynn Haven, so I am very excited about it.

I would like to hear his response to the question of how "they" were doing him like Trayvon Martin (back when he was campaigning to not get fired for insubordination).
[Words in italics are from a quote he made in September]
This post was edited on 3/30 6:20 AM by xcat1969

I'm sure the good people of Vernon will be thrilled to hear that Willie is proud to be living in Lynn Haven and not Vernon. I'm excited to see how this one will end.

I heard that the good reverend might be in hot water already at Vernon. I was told there have been some allegations made against him already and his time might be short lived. Anyone in the panhandle heard anything like that??

Reactions: riverrat1961
I heard about it, too. If the allegations hold up, he's done for good in HS football

OK I'm out of the loop but if the Willie Spears Experience is out of coaching I'm heartbroken. There is not a lot of good entertainment in the panhandle.

Reactions: riverrat1961
I would have to agree Xcat. I didn't hear a lot of the details but it sounded pretty serious. Not sure if that will blow over. I would assume something to happen pretty quick if they are going to part ways. Would hate to waste a whole spring then go looking.

Vernon definitely knew what they were getting with Spears. If he makes a mess of it, there's no one to blame but those who hired him.

Wait a minute... if he makes an error in judgment, it's someone else's fault?
eh... what?
I agree that they got bit a good bit earlier than I thought they would have, but if what has been apparently reported to the sheriff's department is true, then the fault lies squarely with the perp. Yeah, the interview committee were idiots for suggesting the hire, but the actions taken were not made by the buffoons that recommended the hire, but the hire himself.

xcat, Of course he's responsible for his own actions..... but with his past the people who hired him had to know that they were risking public scrutiny if he did something off the chain. Is he really worth the risk? There's no other candidates out there that would've taken the job?

"
xcat, Of course he's responsible for his own actions..... but with his past the people who hired him had to know that they were risking public scrutiny if he did something off the chain. Is he really worth the risk? There's no other candidates out there that would've taken the job?

Off the chain. Just a bit.

Not sitting as judge or jury, but I started this thread because I thought it was absurd that someone of his history would even be considered. And less than a month in, there's this. SMDFH.
The good folks that made this recommendation, and the board who made the hire, I assume... should be already kicking themselves in their collective butts. I know there were better candidates in the running... any coach with one year of experience would have been a better bet. Apparently they didn't call ANYONE who had been in administration of, worked with, coached with, or who had been "coached" by this cat before. Purely a "political" hire, if you know what I mean....
And that's what you get. Guess we'll see how it plays out. Could be that the accuser is full of it and has an agenda of her own. Who knows?
I expect we'll find out sooner rather than later.

I wouldn't think they couldn't cover this up considering how far it has gone at this point. I would think that you would cut ties and move forward. Its a bad situation for all involved especially Vernon. If he is fired for this I don't know how he would get another job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT