ADVERTISEMENT

Venice has themselves a new QB via the transfer portal

Philosophical rant by the dinosaur, SK: Times change, and this is today's game. The game of football had a heck of a run in America until the government felt the need to over-tamper with it.

Ultimately, what will happen is that the haves and have-nots will result in schools doing away with football programs (which may affect Title IX). And with the talent drain of kids jumping to the haves, the product on Friday Night Lights around the country will diminish. So will the caliber of competition and the interest of home town crowds coming to support the neighborhood kids. Add to that the cultural swing against the game, less kids playing, the increasing costs to maintain programs (insurance equipment, etc.), and you will have programs being eliminated and sent off into the sunset.

Tell me how I'm wrong.

I feel for those talented plug-in athletes who will never experience going through life with a group of guys that started playing ball together in Little League, knowing them at their best and worst. Celebrating the district and regional titles along the way that you accomplished together with a coach who developed and molded talent, not window-shopped for it.

Sure, the plug-ins may be making decisions they and other people feel are best for their "career" and to get noticed. And the very best ones will probably bounce around in college with the portal too, on their way to becoming millionaires in the NFL. In the thousands of football players I played against or with from junior high through college, only three made the NFL. One was in little Punta Gorda pop 7,000 at the time, two were NAIA guys I played against - still their talent rose to the top and they were "discovered."

For the majority of football players in America, there's a little more to life. Aside from maybe saving me, football also gave me the gift of a best man in my wedding, me being in several of theirs. They are godfathers to my children and lifelong brothers, as tight as ever at my age. It provided discipline and structure for three sons, who I get to play with at the Turkey Bowl at The Fish Bowl every year (right up to breaking my clavicle this year fighting for a Midgett-thrown TD pass that sparked a huge comeback).

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorman001
Man I thought I was going to get a song from you, like this one that played on Midnight Special at the beginning of my sophomore season. I love the head fake this song starts with. It was the first time I saw them on TV. That same week, our school's sports editor showed me a copy of the 1973 Sports Quarterly College Football Preview Magazine with Randy Gradishar (OSU) on the cover. They covered every conference in America, and I was shocked to see I even got a mention as a returning starting OT as a soph. Them were the days...

Man I thought I was going to get a song from you, like this one that played on Midnight Special at the beginning of my sophomore season. I love the head fake this song starts with. It was the first time I saw them on TV. That same week, our school's sports editor showed me a copy of the 1973 Sports Quarterly College Football Preview Magazine with Randy Gradishar (OSU) on the cover. They covered every conference in America, and I was shocked to see I even got a mention as a returning starting OT as a soph. Them were the days...

Too funny, I was just watching the last night or two old <Midnight Special> videos and watched this very Steely Dan video! Thinking about extending invites to Chad Choate (One of the Manatee Radio fellows that does the football contest) and my Nephew about coming next Tuesday..

Last edited:
How does a high school student find the cash to just pick up move like that? Do they move alone or with their parents/guardians? And how do the parents find new jobs?

How does a high school student find the cash to just pick up move like that? Do they move alone or with their parents/guardians? And how do the parents find new jobs?
Let's not kid ourselves it has gone on in elite programs forever. Around Florida there have been quite a few FHSAA investigations of coaches and suspect addresses or housing. When Valdosta, Georgia was the top team in the nation in the 1960s, their coach, Bazemore I think was his name - had the boosters behind him, they bought him a house, a Cadillac, and would find jobs and housing for parents of great athletes they recruited from across the south. Where do you think places like IMG got the idea?

And given these recent decisions, even though Florida is currently one of eleven states that has it "prohibited", our over reaching politicians will eventually allow NIL to happen. And, that will make it even easier for housing . At IMG's "boarding school and sports training facility" it is called a "scholarship" that covers boarding.

This new era of football is custom made for the "instant gratification, helicopter raised" generation of athletes.

Peacock is the best coach in the area, hands down and is going to take full advantaged. He has the State Title pedigree and has always had an eye for attracting talent.

Last edited:
Let's not kid ourselves it has gone on in elite programs forever. Around Florida there have been quite a few FHSAA investigations of coaches and suspect addresses or housing. When Valdosta, Georgia was the top team in the nation in the 1960s, their coach, Bazemore I think was his name - had the boosters behind him, they bought him a house, a Cadillac, and would find jobs and housing for parents of great athletes they recruited from across the south. Where do you think places like IMG got the idea?

And given these recent decisions, even though Florida is currently one of eleven states that has it "prohibited", our over reaching politicians will eventually allow NIL to happen. And, that will make it even easier for housing . At IMG's "boarding school and sports training facility" it is called a "scholarship" that covers boarding.

This new era of football is custom made for the "instant gratification, helicopter raised" generation of athletes.

Peacock is the best coach in the area, hands down and is going to take full advantaged. He has the State Title pedigree and has always had an eye for attracting talent.
Im not so sold on the "Peacock being a great coach" mindset. I believe he is good, but I dont believe he could consistently go into a struggling program and rebuild it like say Darlington has done at Deland, and having beein aroud Georgia I dont believe he'd dominate there either. He's excelled at one primary thing., that being talent acquisition and more recently assembled probably the best staff top to bottom in the Sarasota/Manatee county area presently.....something that wasn't always the case.

The state title game against Lakeland this year showed me, his ability to make coaching in-game changes still is just average. That offense didnt do anything differently then what its always done, and when they got behind wasnt able to drift from its base offense. All of his state title have been gotten with teams that were able to just flat out physically dominate its competition.........when he cant do that Peacock coached teams struggle

In SW/Suncoast area, IMO he is a great coach who has done it for the longest in this area. Putting together the staff is part of the HC's job. It's why Charlotte had consistent success under Waldrop. It's why Port Charlotte is finally emerging.

I'm a Canes fan, Mario Cristobal is a great recruiter, but he's also a 500 coach who has replaced his OC/DC after year 1. When Peacock took over Venice was on the down swing, but he has built the area's marquee program from Bradenton to Naples. And not for nothing, he has the most recent state title in the area. I don't agree with everything he does, but he's a competitor, and his teams usually always have a punchers chance. But like Joe said, Lakeland is different.

Saw Jayce Nixon play for Gaither this year in the Regional finals when they beat Jesuit. He is a stocky tough QB with an obviously strong arm. It took him until the middle of the 2nd half to really get into a groove to lead Gaither to the stunning upset. He made plays with his legs running like a power back to get first downs. He was very accurate hitting receivers on various 10-20 yard routes. I think Venice fans will be very pleased with Nixon.

In SW/Suncoast area, IMO he is a great coach who has done it for the longest in this area. Putting together the staff is part of the HC's job. It's why Charlotte had consistent success under Waldrop. It's why Port Charlotte is finally emerging.

I'm a Canes fan, Mario Cristobal is a great recruiter, but he's also a 500 coach who has replaced his OC/DC after year 1. When Peacock took over Venice was on the down swing, but he has built the area's marquee program from Bradenton to Naples. And not for nothing, he has the most recent state title in the area. I don't agree with everything he does, but he's a competitor, and his teams usually always have a punchers chance. But like Joe said, Lakeland is different.
Not changing my mind on this one, until I see Peacock win it all win with a team that isnt stacked top to bottom, when I see him win it all because he has coached them up he becomes a great coach.

I understand, but you still have to coach up that talent and the egos. This week was a great example with Dallas, Miami and Philly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT