ADVERTISEMENT

FHSAA approves new football classifications

MarkECannon

Oct 9, 2010
Which are very similar to the previous system. The FHSAA Board of Directors voted 9-4 for the 2024-2025 season. There will be eight classifications (Rural and 1A-7A). The board approved required district play for the upcoming season. More fair and competitive competition was cited in one article for the reasons for the change.

The “Open Division” proposal was not voted on. This idea is to have top teams pulled out of respective classification’s tournaments with a winner-take-all tourney of Florida’s top teams.

I took this from a couple of reports. I could not find anything about the results from the FHSAA on their website at this time. The FHSAA front page has a statement that yesterday’s meeting of the Board of Directors meeting was to take place.

I know the current system was criticized by some in the Dade/Broward area that it was to prevent their area from dominating the state finals championships. Not sure that anyone else was as opposed to it.

As a person who did not attend my first state finals since 2010 this year (I did record and watch every game on Bally). The current system produced the two most competitive state finals I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT