ADVERTISEMENT

Venice Football

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Green vs White Game this Friday at 6 pm. Come get your first look at the 2024 Venice Indians! We are requesting a donation of Tide Pods for admission. May 10th

Well I've been banned from their facebook page, so I don't get much from fellows that present info from the rose colored glasses perspective. All the speed guys and some of field event guys are still running track.(In fact Region is today), but before the spring game l will provide some info.

Green vs White Game this Friday at 6 pm. Come get your first look at the 2024 Venice Indians! We are requesting a donation of Tide Pods for admission. May 10th
We are? gatorman001! Say it ain’t so! Are you now a Venice Indian?

Banned? That sounds harsh.
Kids that grew up behind me in Bradenton ( 3 brothers Taylor, hunter, Colby West), Colby went on to be the starting QB for Manatee during the early 2000s. So Colby posted something on the Manatee facebook page a few years back, regarding some nefarious activity affecting the football program within the Manatee boosters and administration at Manatee. I responded by asking Colby for names? Next thing I know Im banned! My attitude was F them, and that's the basics of the story.

Funny story now...not so much then about the West kids and my kids. The West kids were all good athletes, baseball/soccer etc.......Colby was the youngest of the 3 and probably tthe best athlete of the 3. So one day because I couldnt take them down to the football field to play baseball, they decided we could instead play with a basketball, so the ball wouldnt travel as far when they hit it. I generally played all time pitcher and fielder......I reluctantly agreed so we head to the back yard. Colby at the time was all of 5-7 at the time. I shoud have known better, but when it came time for Colby to bat, I pitch the basketball and Colby swings and upon contact with basketball....the bat recoils and pops Colby smack dab in the head. He's in tears with a knot on his head now and Im having to carry him in my arms to Mom and Dad having explain how he ended up with a knot on his head with my parental oversight. That was the last time we played Baseball with a Basketball.

Last edited:
Reminds me of hitting fly balls to a younger neighbor kid I was trying to help be more athletic. Kept telling him, keep your eyes locked on the ball. So, one hit him right between the eyes, broke his glasses and I had to haul him home crying to his mom.

Funny they moved up to Tampa and next time I saw him was five years later coming off the field at Tampa Catholic after the beat us in the Regional Final my senior year. They saw my name in the paper as a starter. Feel, bad, because I wasn't really in the mood for a reunion leaving the filed from a game we should have won, but at least got to tell him he looked like he grew up.

Reactions: gatorman001
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT