ADVERTISEMENT

The National Anthem

I think what is being lost here is his reason for protest... I think we are too quick to ignore the reason because we disagree with his method of protest....

I'll save you my whole life story except to say I think I've had it pretty good in life. However it you think everything is equal and balanced in this country you should consider that perhaps your point of view may bit be at a degree that you can understand another man's blight.

We are far too quick to devalue another man's struggle because it is not our own.

I am perplexed at the guys that I went to school with that are up in arms about racism and inequality. We grew up in the exact same place at the exact same time. We were given the same opportunities and went to the same schools. We all have the opportunity to succeed here.

Nu'Trelle went back to his 50th reunion a couple years ago. It was held at hotel in a better part of Columbus because the organizers were probably worried that we'd get rolled if they held it anywhere close to the school.

There were some great discussions that weekend and while most were light-hearted, a few of them touched on what you just mentioned: Why did some people do well while others did not?

Even though there were no social psychologists in attendance and drinks were being served, there was some surprisingly intelligent discussion. Here are a few highlights.

Factors that were virtually eliminated by one and all:

1. Race: As a percentage, Black alums had realized just as much success as Whites.
2. Parental Income: Many were raised at poverty level, but did just as well as kids who had a bit more.
3. Luck: These people were 68. Good luck talkin bad luck. You might be sellin, but nobody's buyin.

Factors in school that most agreed contributed heavily to success later in life:

1. Eagerness to learn: Near unanimous.agreement on this. Better students seemed to excel at life.
2. Personal drive: If we were impressed with them in school, most of them made a success of life.
3. Ability to stay out of trouble: Success stories included very few 'problem' kids.

I think the most important one is

2. Personal drive

So many lack it or want to depend on another.

Reactions: 181pl
BINGO !!!!!!!!!!! In some segments of many societies there are takers and makers,in ours we have too many takers.. When people think or say what is not historically correct and blame others,then the fall begins.Two examples could be the Dept of justice stats on cop killings that say 99.4 of all arrests are without incident and the rest are a a result in non-compliance by offenders with few exceptions. Booker T Washington,the famous and illustrious BLACK educator once said,"there will be those among us who will blame others for our problems"......'' BE CAREFUL OF THOSE AMONG US"..I.E Rev Al,Jesse,BLM and other WHO ARE WOEFULLY MISINFORMED... Everybody on this board should read the book," Hoodwinked",by Jack Cashill...Some of you will come to your senses.. Did any of you know that,for example, the film,"ROOTS" and the book of the same name, written by the black author,Alex Haley was NOT TRUE !!!!! HE MADE UP THE STORY.................

1. No one listens to Al and Jesse... "People" need to stop bringing their name up and making them relevant

2. Yes roots was sold as a non fiction but ended up being fiction however it was based in truth... All the things that happened in that docuseries were very real events that happened in the US during the founding days. Anyone who denies that well....

Kunte Kinte may have not be "real" persay but I am willing to bet here is someone who's story mirrored his and others in the fictional docuseries..

# 1 IS A GOOD POINT.. My point was however,that many,including Colin DON'T KNOW FACTS OR HONEST HISTORY..

Drummer, when will you learn to use a quote correctly in your post?

Hit the quote button, move your cursor below it, then start typing. It's soooo easy!

Reactions: peezy28
Um.. actually without football he still has a college degree so not sure why you would say he is a drug dealer or trash collector... Just saying... Keep things in perspective..

Also, I think we as a society are too quick to label and judge with statements like "anyone who admires or agrees with person xyz (insert name of person whom I vehemently disagree with) is xyz (insert bad derogative word)"

Look your going down a really slippery slope when you start general characterizing whole groups of people... Need I say more?.

For the record I do not agree with CK.

PEEZY,
Respecting another's political, social, patriotic or religious perspective is an antiquated concept that has gone the way of mutual respect and tolerance. Heightened by the 24 hour news cycle and the ability to be bombastic through electronic communication, folks will say whatever, whenever because there are very few repercussions. Mainly because in the past, the only TRUE mass media was controlled by professionals.

Before digital communication, none of this goes further than the bench CK was sitting on, because some 49er would have jacked his ass up and it wouldn't have been reported. We also wouldn't hear from anyone on this forum, because they would have been hanging out with like minded acquaintances, all would have agreed and then church keyed another Falstaff.

I enjoyed writing that.

The First Amendment gives you the right to freedom of speech, it doesn't protect you from the consequences of your speech. I don't know why that is hard for people to understand. If he gets released by the SF or gets punished by the NFL and he tries to tie those punitive actions to his statements he doesn't have a leg to stand on. He is an employee and if he doesn't meet standards of conduct he can be fired, as any of us can, except Hillary.

Reactions: Tarpon75 and 181pl
Colin K. wore a T-shirt with images of Fidel Castro and Malcolm X to his recent press conference. How's that for a spokesman against oppression? How can anyone take this guy serious? I find it strange that the NFL has fined players thousands for wearing different color socks and other uniform violations but won't weigh in on this.
Those who say that at least he has people talking are not thinking about the current social climate. We need things to bridge the gap not widen it.
Oppression is not necessarily a skin color issue. There are thousands of oppressed whites in Appalachia and in many of our cities. I believe generational poverty and lack of education contribute more to oppression than racism. Not to say there is no racism, there is, but racist come in all colors and there have been great strides made over the past 50 to 60 years.

Oppression is not necessarily a skin color issue. There are thousands of oppressed whites in Appalachia and in many of our cities.
Rarely is this point discussed, but learning about discrimination is not something exclusive to minorities.

Nu'Trelle's first part-time job was carryin newspapers. He was 12 years old when he started. His customers were mostly blue collar workers who lived in older single-family homes that were much nicer than the ramshackle duplex where he and his Mom rented. Eventually people - especially older ones - hired Nu'Trelle to shovel snow, rake leaves, mow grass, set trash out, etc. Nu'Trelle gladly did the jobs and people treated him with respect. No problem.

When Nu'Trelle was 14, a guy asked if he wanted a job being a caddie. Long story short, Nu'Trelle carried papers in the morning, then rode his bicycle 10-11 miles to Upper Arlington, where the most exclusive country club in Columbus was located. The caddie master agreed to give Nu'Trelle a chance.

Club members came in all shapes, sizes and ages, but there were two attributes that were consistent across the board. They were white and they were rich ... not "borderline" rich or "kinda" rich ... you had to be "extremely" rich. And for those rich people on the outside looking in, the waiting list was so long it could take years to be accepted for membership.

Nu'Trelle had always been well-liked by adults. He'd been raised to be polite. That was standard operating procedure, but it didn't take long to realize that something was different here. One day within a week or so after Nu'Trelle started, another caddie came out to the practice green and told him he was wanted in the caddie shack.

The caddie master sat Nu'Trelle down and told him that the golfer complained about the condition of his tennis shoes and asked for a different caddie. The shoes weren't the best, but certainly not the worst he had ever worn. The boss also advised Nu'Trelle to limit exchanges to smiles and nods, and try to restrict his comments to "Yes sir, thank you, and you're welcome." He added "If someone asks you a question, a three word answer is always better than a four word answer. When Nu'Trelle asked why, he was given a 4 word explanation.

"YOU ARE NOT EQUAL"
Nu'Trelle has benefited for a lifetime. It wound up being the gift that kept on giving. It motivated him to prove they were wrong.

Last edited:
Neutral, that story makes me sad for the 14 year-old you. :(
No reason to be sad. It's never how things start, it's how they turn out.

At the big reunion Nu'Trelle attended a couple years ago, a bunch of alums were at a table reminiscing about those classmates who they felt "couldn't miss". A girl who Nu'Trelle met in his first year of high school spoke up and said that she knew early on Nu'Trelle would become successful.

Nu'Trelle feigned complete shock and asked "Why would you think that?"

She said words to the effect of, "I sat next to you in homeroom and remember that you had some kind of inspirational message printed on the inside cover of your notebook. Something about achieving goals. I never forgot how you would take time to read it in the morning and how I thought that set you apart. Do you remember the message?"

Nu'Trelle said no, but thanked her for the compliment.

That was a lie. The message was created within days after Nu'Trelle was told he was "not equal". It was his solution to go about rectifying the problem. The exact words were:

"SET BEFORE YOURSELF A GOAL AND STRIVE FOR IT"

Years later when Nu'Trelle volunteered to coach youth sports, he always felt the most important part of his job was to inspire players to improve their lot in life. Ideally, conversations ended like this:

Nu'Trelle: "Okay, you're here, but you want to get over there. What's the best way to accomplish that?"
Player (with a smile): "Set it as a goal and strive for it."
Nu'Trelle: "That's a very intelligent plan. I'll help you make it happen."

The message was printed prominently on every piece of paper handed out to a player or player's parent. The 3-ring canvas binder the girl noticed in high school is on a bookshelf in Nu'Trelle's home office.

Reactions: MustangMom
P.S. One other thing that Nu'Trelle have done ever since he been financially able to do so. He always keep 2 pair of tennis shoes on hand. A brand new pair which he keep in the box in case some rich guy call and want him to caddie and a regular beat-to-hell pair that he wear if he go to see no-count people like Wavebb, peezy28 or Silver King.

Reactions: MustangMom
I don't know, maybe it's because i have three sons, but thinking about a little boy with his heart broken just kills me. Glad you turned out ok, though . :)

multiracial-kids-100712-400hc.jpg

Kids Get it
So do us football players - we mix pretty damn well.

This was a congress protest.... Didn't even make the 3rd page (this was years ago btw)
14079944_10157389103370646_4088637072681116043_n.jpg

Now after hearing CK talk today he said "I have seen and had many different conversations about this since I decided to sit that I have never had in my life and that is a start"

I give you EXHIBIT A:
  1. Scott Frost to UCF: 135 Replies
  2. Fort Meade 34 Bartow 10: 121 Replies
  3. Whats a slap: 107 Replies
  4. National Anthem: 100 Replies
  5. Does IMG win this week: 100 Replies
Disagreeing with him is fine but he achieved the desired response nationally.

Also the NFL is not suspending him for doing this as I said before... The NFL would end up suspending a lot of individuals who have chosen to join this protest.

Those of you who are praising Kaepernick for standing up (sitting down) for what he believes in, how do you feel about this? Unfreakingbelievable.

kaepernick-socks-cops-08-31-16.png

If you catch SportsCenter on ESPN, they've been replaying Kaepernick's post game news conference from Thursday night San Diego. Coverage lasted 12-15 minutes and was uncut.

Kaepernick started by saying that he has taken his position due to oppression against minorities. The phrase he mentioned most often when reporters asked him to elaborate on "oppression" was "police brutality against blacks". He used that phrase at least three times, maybe four.

He said the end goal was "making communities in America safe". He said that's why he will donate the first $1 million of this season's earnings to "various organizations" that he plans to work with.

He said he hoped his protest would stimulate discussion about the "real issues" and added that his next step would be to involve himself directly in "these communities" so that people could be placed in a position to succeed.

Although he didn't use the phrasing last night, a few days ago he told reporters that he was protesting because "bodies are laying in the street while people (police) are on paid leave, getting away with murder."

He said he and teammate Andre Reid (sp?) decided to kneel (not sit) during the National Anthem after they both talked to a retired veteran before the game. Kaepernick said he's had "numerous conversations" with fellow players who share his concerns and said others may join him in protest. A Seahawk player also sat out the Anthem in protest last night.

Tell you what folks, if you bump into Kaepernick, please tell him we're having some pretty serious problems right here in the Ft. Myers area. Explain to him that over the past few weeks black people have been dropping like flies.

Victims - some of them still in their teens - have been laying in our streets just like he said. A 37 yr. old black man was killed yesterday. Another black man, who reportedly lived in the same dwelling with the first man, was shot dead behind a gas station this past weekend.

Please don't mention anything about the whites and Hispanics who've also been shot dead because we're a bit uncertain of whether or not those victims would be of any concern. And above all else, PLEASE DO NOT MENTION THE FACT THAT NOT ONE OF THESE PEOPLE WAS SHOT BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER.

Let's get him here first. We can explain that "small detail" to him later.

Last edited:
My hope is that the Niners will find a way to release him without getting into trouble with the players' union and then he will have all the time in the world to donate to the causes he is so passionate about.

Nu'Trelle will let peezy explain that Kaepernick:

1. Started last night and had a decent game.
2. Will probably be 2nd string QB.
3. Is owed the balance of $16.9M even if he's cut.

Better to hope that he comes to your town and brings some of his money.

Those of you who are praising Kaepernick for standing up (sitting down) for what he believes in, how do you feel about this? Unfreakingbelievable.

kaepernick-socks-cops-08-31-16.png

The picture without his comments are inflammatory. I challenge you to go read his statement on the socks and post that.

My brother is an officer too and I support the warrior so I am VERY promilitary and pro police force.... but you have to see the whole story

Mustangmom...

Neutral is correct... The 9ners really care less about his political stance... Billion dollars organizations rarely get to where they are by making emotional decisions...

Sure they can cut him right now and not "get in trouble" with the union.... It's simple just say "Sorry Colin your services are no longer needed now here's yoUR $17m we owe you and we are paying you this to go away"

I wish someone would pay me $17m to just go away I'd start up all kinds of protests and uprisings...

The end result they'll pay him he will be apart of their team and if called upon he'll play.

There are much worse people in the NFL that have been accused of rape shootIngs domestic violence and yes even murder that we should be more concerned about.

The picture without his comments are inflammatory. I challenge you to go read his statement on the socks and post that.

My brother is an officer too and I support the warrior so I am VERY promilitary and pro police force.... but you have to see the whole story
Truly, I don't care what he said about those disgraceful socks. In my opinion, the fact that he wore them in public speaks volumes.

I don't have a dog in this fight but when the National Anthem is being sang I stand, but there are many people at sporting events that continue to talk, walk around, and do whatever they are doing during the National Anthem. Are they wrong too?

Again explain to me how someone who says they are protesting oppression can wear a t-shirt with Fidel Castro's picture to a press conference to explain his position on the matter.How many oppressed citizens of Cuba have fled the island to asylum in this country?The Pig socks and theT-shirt say more than enough.He is doing more harm than good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neutral 0bserver
Exactly SK,too bad some of the players didn't wear them anyway.Would love to know how the NFL would have responded.

He is doing more harm than good.
As our own peezy quickly pointed out, Kaepernick's actions have quickly sparked debate among Americans. He has instantly divided people into two groups; (1) Those people who think it's okay for him to demonstrate disrespect for our flag, (2) others who believe it's completely off-limits.

He stated last night that he didn't want to do that and made some strides by offering some clarifications (e.g., People think I hate America, I love America).

So now we've been told by Kaepernick that he wants to see more equal opportunity, less injustice, safety for people in their communities, and most important of all, an end to police brutality.

Sounds good to Nu'Trelle. Probably sounds good to most other people ... especially the men and women who are footing the bill for most social problems in this great Nation, the American tax payers.

So before Nu'Trelle goes out and signs up for membership in the "Kaepernick Equality Movement", there's one small hang-up. Kaepernick will need to address a few issues that he hasn't touched upon as yet. He'll need to explain how he intends to remove drug lords and their gangs from our inner cities or how he plans to disarm convicted felons. The list is much longer, but good answers for those two problem will do for starters.

Blaming police for the problems were having with drugs and the violent crime that ALWAYS ensues in any area where drug sales run rampant is like blaming cardiac surgeons for killing people who need open-heart surgery. Do people in America sometimes die on operating tables? Yes. Do surgeons sometimes make mistakes? Unfortunately, yes they do.

But who would ever be dumb enough to suggest the "main issue" is incompetency by those who work in medicine, when in fact the real killer is heart disease?

Colin has some righteous goals. No doubt about that. But having a gigantic hard-on for the police - who put their lives on the line 24/7 - is going to be a hurdle he'll never overcome.

Reactions: peezy28
So at the Sarasota High vs Booker game last night, two kids sat down during the national anthem. Later there was a bench-clearing brawl between the teams, with four players from each side getting thrown out of the game and suspended for the next one.
The two incidents may or may not have been related, but unfortunately, it looks like this kind of devisiveness is our new reality.

Reactions: blackpopsicle
So at the Sarasota High vs Booker game last night, two kids sat down during the national anthem. Later there was a bench-clearing brawl between the teams, with four players from each side getting thrown out of the game and suspended for the next one. The two incidents may or may not have been related, but unfortunately, it looks like this kind of devisiveness is our new reality.
Kids have always tended to emulate the behavior of professional athletes. It's a very safe bet that you'll see more high school football games where our flag is disrespected. Same deal may likely carry over into basketball season. It may become "cool"; players who participate may get "street cred".

So what happens next? You'll probably see less attendance at games. That's basically the only way people - even if they are only mildly patriotic - can stage their own protest.

On the plus side, thugs may show up in even greater numbers. Thugs hate our flag and everything it stands for. Thugs also despise the cops. If you're a criminal, the less you see of the police, the better off you are. Maybe criminals will figure out a way to ban the cops from being inside the gates.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT