ADVERTISEMENT

The National Anthem

Roadkillav8r

Sep 4, 2010
Niceville, FL
So Kaeperneck doesn't think he should stand for the National anthem and the NFL supports him. As a retired Marine I have a message for the NFL: Your brand is so tarnished I refuse to watch or acknowledge. If you refuse to honor our flag you don't deserve my respect. The NFL is a disgrace and Kaeperneck is loathsome.

I used to like him as a player, now I no longer respect him as a man. The NFL had better lay some punishment on him for that. Oh, and he is welcome to go play in the CFL, if he dislikes this country so much.

Ditto! His action was inexcusable. I wonder how this will affect his ability to play for the 49ers this season. He was on thin ice as it was.

The thing that irritates me the most is that he is doing this for personal recognition. He is another privileged athlete tooting his own horn, and that's all it is.

People are applauding him for standing for his convictions. Read up on this guy. He has no idea what oppression is. I wish we could send our teenagers to countries like Afghanistan so they can see what people around the world live like. Maybe we wouldn't have as many entitled, spoiled individuals running around. Nobody in the country is truly oppressed. Perspective. We're not perfect, but this is still the greatest nation on Earth. People need to respect that and appreciate it.

Amen Jgking.

I've been working on a book on Vietnam the last couple of years. Part of it includes letters from a Marine who was five years older than me that went to my high school. He was writing to a cheerleader a year older than me and she kept the letters. Here's a quote from his first few days in Vietnam (April 28, 1969), that echoes your time honored perspective:

Well, in about an hour were going on patrol. This place is something else. You should see the people. They work all day, and it's almost for nothing. Nobody back home knows how lucky they are. If they could see how these people live. We had an attack the other night. The next day they brought in the Medivacs. There was a little boy who got hit. It was awful. Right now we're on Operation Oklahoma. If I make it back to the states, I'm not going to bitch about anything after seeing how these people live.

This guy was 19 in Vietnam, his letters go from Gung-Ho Marine to a ground down combat veteran watching friends die and getting wounded every day. He said in his letters he'd "Need to see a shrink" when he came home. The war didn't kill him in 1969/70, but it got him in 2000 from complications of PTSD.

Remember Rocky Belier who played with the Steelers? Drafted near the end of his rookie year, wounded in Vietnam, came back to have a pretty good NFL career - That this punk Kaeperneck's pampered little entitled ass is being confused with convictions is simple BS. It's what our culture has come to.

I'll be wanting a copy of that book!

I remember driving along the perimeter of a little base in Afghanistan. There was a group of little kids out there asking us for water. They had minimal clothing on and a couple of them had no shoes. There was about six inches of snow on the ground. I just remember looking at them and noticing how happy they seemed. I'll never forget that. That's their normal. People have no idea.

If the NFL thinks it's acceptable for their players to demonstrate overt disrespect for our flag, then maybe they've forgotten how many hundreds of thousands of us have served. Whenever the Stars and Stripes fly high and the Anthem is played, it gives Americans an opportunity to thank all military personnel and especially honor all those who have paid the ultimate price by sacrificing their lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgking83
Yes, I was also disappointed that both the NFL and the Niners said that what he did was ok. It was absolutely not, and I hope the SF fans let him know it.

Hey, I don't agree with him, but I respect his RIGHT TO PROTEST. Just as I respect yours to speak against that point of view.

Freedom of Speech doesn't protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit. - Hines

No he has the right to say all the stupid crap he wants, I'm more disappointed in the NFL for not standing up to him and the ownership of the team for not throwing his sorry ass out the door.

Hey, I don't agree with him, but I respect his RIGHT TO PROTEST. Just as I respect yours to speak against that point of view.

Freedom of Speech doesn't protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit. - Hines

Hines said it best. If the NFL or 9ners suspended him for that He likely have a 1st amendment rights violation he could sue for.

However if the 49ers just decided to "go the other way" without mentioning that "we really don't carefor this guy anymore after what he did" then that is well within their rights.

I don't agree with CK and his stance. Legally speaking I am not mad at the NFL or the 49ers for allowing him to exercise his right to protest.

He will get what is coming to him either way. If you think about it you served the armed forced and defended his very rights to do what he did... Shame he does not understand that or care to but its his right.

No he has the right to say all the stupid crap he wants, I'm more disappointed in the NFL for not standing up to him and the ownership of the team for not throwing his sorry ass out the door.

That will happen but see when you run a billion dollar company you have to handle these situations with kid gloves. If they come out and release him because of that there would be more trouble for the organization than there ever will be for CK. If he is released 2 weeks later for "poor performance" guess what #covered.

Sometimes the decisions we think people should make from our narrow perspective are not the best decisions for those people or organization. CK will get what he deserves just wait and see.

Reactions: blackpopsicle
I have never like CK as a player (mostly because he always seemed to burn my Packers).

But we were less than 6 months away from remembering Ali and the stands that he took. Now, CK isn't Ali, but let him say whatever. Our typing and commenting about it, is what feeds stories like this and allows him to get the attention he wants.

Ignore him. Until he puts his money where his mouth and plays in another country.

Reactions: peezy28

Oh, I'm sure some of the Defensive guys will enact coop on his prissy ass.

He never said he was oppress... He said heis ppls like me... Hey if he don't want to stand up for the flag, I have no pressure with him... More power to the brother...

Reactions: peezy28
Trust me fellas more players agree with him.. He basically did what Ali did.... Not comparing the 2 but y'all get my drift

Costaki Economopoulis, a comic who writes a lot of stuff re the NFL had the best line I've seen...

"Colin is a little confused, we want him to stand for the anthem and sit for the game."

Reactions: MustangMom
He disrespected a lot of brothers in harm's way in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and lots of other places doing our country's bidding.

Zoe, Ali, the HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD fought the draft because of his religious convictions. Tommy Smith and John Carlos, The OLYMPIC SILVER and BRONZE MEDALISTS raised the black power fist because Martin Luther King had tried to boycot the Olympics to raise awareness of Civil Rights. They were at the top of their game when inequality was rampant; and they all hurt themselves financially, knew it and did it anyway.

Now you can put this over-valued BACK UP QB with a dead arm in their company, that's your perrogative; but you do them an injustice.

He disrespected a lot of brothers in harm's way in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and lots of other places doing our country's bidding.

Zoe, Ali, the HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD fought the draft because of his religious convictions. Tommy Smith and John Carlos, The OLYMPIC SILVER and BRONZE MEDALISTS raised the black power fist because Martin Luther King had tried to boycot the Olympics to raise awareness of Civil Rights. They were at the top of their game when inequality was rampant; and they all hurt themselves financially, knew it and did it anyway.

Now you can put this over-valued BACK UP QB with a dead arm in their company, that's your perrogative; but you do them an injustice.
Ali wouldn't go even tho if he was not a Muslim .... I know you guys are older then me but I read and study that history to gain knowledge and the more I read and learn , the more I see I've been lied to and got taught wrong things from school and to now.... Much respect for the guys that go fight In war but the guy that that wrote the national anthem (Francis Scott Key)said my ppls was A distinct and an inferior race to whites... Same as President Lincoln said my ppls were not equal to the white man...

Reactions: jbaby32
Well, you're right about that part of history and good for you for being into history. This just feels contrived to me, if he felt so strongly about this issue, why didn't he take this stand when he was realevant?

He is a crappy player who is doing this for attention. Also his girlfriend is a big black lives matter supporter and DJ with her own public persona. He's such a punk he's probably doing this to win more favor with her. Finally although this isn't directly related, there are some stories saying he converted to Islam in the off season. I suspect his motives are deeper than what appears on the surface.

He is a crappy player who is doing this for attention. Also his girlfriend is a big black lives matter supporter and DJ with her own public persona. He's such a punk he's probably doing this to win more favor with her. Finally although this isn't directly related, there are some stories saying he converted to Islam in the off season. I suspect his motives are deeper than what appears on the surface.
But if you go to his Twitter page his been saying this for years... The problem what ppl have against him is that he has money and he should not be saying anything about these situations... If he was poor in broke , nobody would of give a damn... What do you say about old vets that burns the Amreican Flag?

But if you go to his Twitter page his been saying this for years... The problem what ppl have against him is that he has money and he should not be saying anything about these situations... If he was poor in broke , nobody would of give a damn... What do you say about old vets that burns the Amreican Flag?
It's called freedom of expression. We might not agree with how some choose to show it, but in this country many have died fighing for that right. To each his own until you infringe on my rights.

He's an untalented, privileged, one-percenter, who is feigning outrage now that he has a BLM-affiliated fiance.
It is within his constitutional rights to "protest" however he wants, even if he is just doing it because he's now irrelevant and craves the attention. But anyone who admires his actions has some misplaced idolization issues.

Reactions: 181pl
He's an untalented, privileged, one-percenter, who is feigning outrage now that he has a BLM-affiliated fiance.
It is within his constitutional rights to "protest" however he wants, even if he is just doing it because he's now irrelevant and craves the attention. But anyone who admires his actions has some misplaced idolization issues.
I agree Mom up to your last sentence. Neither of us is a minority though. And we both are at least a generation removed from his. Let them (youngsters) pick their own idols.

On further review Mom, I also disagree with your 1st sentence too. I'm old, but I do like your spirit :)

Thank you. But would you agree that if young people are seeking someone to look up to, there are better options available--even among professional athletes?

The NFL brand is diminished and tarnished. Is it any wonder why, at many games, half the seats are empty. They have to paint the seats in team colors to make them look full. CK has all the 1st Amendment rights I protected for him but in the end he will lose his job, the NFL will lose viewers and I will find something else to waste my time on. I'll chock this up to one more professional sport I don't have anything to do with. I'd rather watch kids play because they want to on Friday nights than a bunch of horses asses going through the motions on Sunday.

Since he left UNLV,he has been an arrogant,show off,selfish player,who,at time reminds me a court jester who dresses like a clown and above all, is an ENTITLEMENT BASED CRY BABY.. Hopefully,the team and the far leftist city by the bay show their disdain. Without America and football,this bum is a trash collector or a drug dealer.. Certainly and given some time, a resident of a prison

Since he left UNLV,he has been an arrogant,show off,selfish player,who,at time reminds me a court jester who dresses like a clown and above all, is an ENTITLEMENT BASED CRY BABY.. Hopefully,the team and the far leftist city by the bay show their disdain. Without America and football,this bum is a trash collector or a drug dealer.. Certainly and given some time, a resident of a prison

Um.. actually without football he still has a college degree so not sure why you would say he is a drug dealer or trash collector... Just saying... Keep things in perspective..

Also, I think we as a society are too quick to label and judge with statements like "anyone who admires or agrees with person xyz (insert name of person whom I vehemently disagree with) is xyz (insert bad derogative word)"

Look your going down a really slippery slope when you start general characterizing whole groups of people... Need I say more?.

For the record I do not agree with CK.

OPEN LETTER TO COLIN KAEPERNICK

derrendarwinsorrells082816.jpg

Darwin Sorrells Jr., 26, and his brother Derren Sorrells, 22
You said you wanted to protest oppression in the U.S. against black people. You claim that you decided the most effective way to do so would be to show disrespect for our flag by sitting during the National Anthem.

Your employers - the NFL and the San Francisco 49ers - gave your behavior their blessing. That's their privilege. There's no law saying that people have to stand during the Anthem, or even that the Anthem has to be played before a pro football game. So we must respect their rights as well as yours.

You're a 28 year old who is apparently very angry. Angry to the point of being willing to put your career, your financial well-being, and your public persona on the line. You certainly have the right to do this. The ironic thing about me and you is that one of the reasons you have that right is because guys from my era carried M-14's and slept in mud so you could disrespect what we stood for 50 years later.

It's unlikely that a person of your character and mindset will ever volunteer to serve this country, so you'll never be able to understand what this expression means, but as we said in the Army all those years ago, "Son, don't worry about a thing. Your shit is in the blue."

We fought. You get a free ride, Colin

Now about oppression. Not about what YOU perceive to be oppression, but about the REALITY of oppression. You made the remark that one of the reasons you will not stand and honor our flag is that there are "bodies in the streets." You're right as rain on that one, son.

An innocent mother of 4 was shot and killed on the South Side of Chicago last Friday. The murder took place in broad daylight. Tell me in your infinite wisdom, son, does it get much more oppressive than that?

The two Sorrells brothers (shown above) were identified by eye-witnesses as being the two assailants, each in possession of an illegal handgun, who opened fire on the street, in an attempt to shoot a third man who was a stranger. The shots missed their target, but struck and killed 32 year old Nykea Aldridge who was pushing a baby buggy down the sidewalk. Her youngest child is only 4 weeks old. She was the cousin of basketball star Dwayne Wade.

You can read more about the Sorrells if you want. There's plenty of information on the internet. Suffice to say both are gang members. Both are convicted felons. Both were on parole at the time of the murder. In fact, one of them got an early release less than a month ago ... about the same time the victim gave birth to her youngest child.

So here's a suggestion for you from someone who's old enough to be your grandfather. Take your "Black lives matter" shirts and trash them. They don't correctly cover the mess we're in. You need to find some shirts that say, "Innocent lives matter."

When you get older and wiser, perhaps you'll come to realize that we're not facing a black and white problem. Black and white should not divide us and does not in 99.9 percent of all instances.

What does divide us is the fact that humans beings such as the two men pictured above are walking our streets. They're armed with lethal weapons and they will not hesitate to shoot innocent people in cold blood. We, as Americans, should be united in war against them, but we're not. We're bickering and worrying about what the hell the guy key who wrote the National Anthem thought over 200 years ago.

The two who shot this woman shouldn't be identified as black or white ... or any other color. They should be identified as exactly what they are: Worthless human cockroaches. After due process, if they are found guilty of cold-blooded murder, they should be exterminated. They do not deserve the right to walk among us.

Innocent lives of all colors matter, Colin. Cockroaches, do not. They are the oppressors.

And lastly Colin, understand this. Regardless of what you perceive to be your cause, the vast majority of red-blooded Americans, no matter what race, creed, color or age, love American so much they would be willing to lay down their lives to defend our flag and our way of life.

You made a very serious mistake when you overlooked this fact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT