ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Ref hit. Where has the game gone?

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Been all over the media the clip of those two John Jay High School (San Antonio, Texas) punks blindsiding the ref because, as they're reporting, they felt he made a bad call. Total disrespect of the game, of authority, and of themselves as so called football players.

If I was the Superintendent, head's would roll. That's as out of control as I've seen - it's one thing for fights to break out in the heat of the moment, but to plan something like that over the course of a couple plays, then do it, and from behind? State should death knell the program as an example.

From the Huffpost:

The Northside Independent School District in Texas and the University Interscholastic League, which governs high school extracurricular programs in the state, are investigating to find out why the players charged the official.

The two players were immediately ejected from the game, the Express-News reported; two other John Jay players had already been ejected during the match in separate plays.

The referee was "very upset" and "wanting to press charges," Wayne Elliot, the Austin Football Officials Association secretary, told The Associated Press.

"The first thing we want is that those two kids never play football again," Elliott said.

Last edited:
I saw this on Facebook- this is truly a disgrace to High School football. There is no call bad enough to warrant that viciousness.

Reactions: Silver King
What kind of children are we raising who would plan and carry out something like that during a high school sporting event? Certainly the type of children who neither consider nor care about possible repercussions. It's disturbing and scary.

Reactions: peezy28
M-Mom, I don't even want to think about one of their coaches telling them to do that, but I heard someone bring up the possibility on ESPN.

The Northside Independent School District in Texas and the University Interscholastic League, which governs high school extracurricular programs in the state, are investigating to find out why the players charged the official.

THIS bothers me. Why? Why? There is no why. Asking why is part of the problem as if there would be any justification for it. F-ing administrators, so scared of parents and the prospect of some overly litigious ambulance chaser bringing suit against them, even opening the door that this act of assault may be justified is the reason why school districts cannot find officials, teachers and other adult caregivers to sign up to supervise their violent entitled pos kids.

What kind of children are we raising who would plan and carry out something like that during a high school sporting event? Certainly the type of children who neither consider nor care about possible repercussions. It's disturbing and scary.
The kind that people in some quarters say, "should never have been brought here" .... There are segments of society that have and never will be able to control their emotions due to 60 plus years of entitlements...... and a plethora of other reasons..

This is probably the most disgusting thing that I have ever seen in High School Football. Of course, with some many "fans" and even many coaches with the false narratives of "homering" "throwing six fouls against us and one foul on the other team" and many other things that officials, who put a lot of time and effort into the vocation, are accused of, it is almost not a surprise that something like this happens. I hope that the people who are responsible for this are made examples of, and not only never able to play football again at any level, but also criminally charged, and given the fullest extent of the law.

This is probably the most disgusting thing that I have ever seen in High School Football. Of course, with some many "fans" and even many coaches with the false narratives of "homering" "throwing six fouls against us and one foul on the other team" and many other things that officials, who put a lot of time and effort into the vocation, are accused of, it is almost not a surprise that something like this happens. I hope that the people who are responsible for this are made examples of, and not only never able to play football again at any level, but also criminally charged, and given the fullest extent of the law.
Outstanding comment..............FULLLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, nothing less,nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The kind that people in some quarters say, "should never have been brought here" .... There are segments of society that have and never will be able to control their emotions due to 60 plus years of entitlements...... and a plethora of other reasons..[

COMPUTER SKILLS ARE LACKING....SEE BELOW

Last edited:
"Should never have been brought here"
"Never will be able to control their emotions"
"60 plus years of entitlements"
Drummer61 take that 'neck bull$hit back where you came from. That bigot philosophy might be OK with Dallas, or that deadass national Rivals board you frequent, but not around here. Later jacka$$

Last edited:
Drummer61 take that 'neck bull$hit back where you came from. That bigot philosophy might be OK with Dallas, or that deadass national Rivals board you frequent, but not around here. Later jacka$$

Amen, Dan. You are a good man. I don't condone the behavior. However, Drummer's beliefs are as to why that behavior exists are way off target. And this is spoken from one who is from the Third World where few if any, so called, entitlements exit.

Dan,your like the drive by media, you lie, take things out of context and did not re print what I said !!!!... re-read my post.... I said, "those in some quarters" !!! You said i said it when in fact I never did!!! DAN IN DAYTONA IS A DRIVE BY CHEAP SHOT ARTIST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Darter same!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: riverrat1961
Bad people may not be bothered by events of this nature, but good people will assuredly be repulsed. Nu'Trelle wasn't at this game, but has attended others where a given percentage of those on hand could best be described as exhibiting public behavior that was "less than stellar".

Without mincing words, we're essentially talking about vile and obnoxious behavior.

If you turn on your TV and watch reality shows such as "Hardcore Pawn", you can expect to see vile, obnoxious people. If you get thrown in jail, you can expect to be shoulder to shoulder with vile, obnoxious people. Sadly, if you chose to attend a football game - even at the high school level - there are many venues where you will most likely be amid any number of vile, obnoxious people.

For those of dubious character, overt demonstrations of vile and obnoxious behavior could actually be a draw. Whereas, good and decent people will likely be steadfastly repulsed.

Unfortunately to some extent, the game of football has nearly always been sullied by acts of greed, violence, and disregard for the law. Maybe the percentage of players, coaches and owners guilty of such transgressions in 2015 is small, but as time wears on and the frequency of serious incidents mount, the good among us are rapidly approaching our limit.

When things get the point where a sufficient percentage of good people decide to turn their back and throw in the towel, bad people will definitely find out that they don't have the economic clot necessary to sustain the game.

For fans of vile, obnoxious behavior, do not fear. Even if football disappeared completely, you'd still be able to get your fix. And you won't have to leave your home, spend a dime of your money, or waste much time. Just watch the first 5 minutes of your local news, then watch the first 5 minutes of the world news. Daily updates on vile and obnoxious behavior are a virtual guarantee.

The kind that people in some quarters say, "should never have been brought here" .... There are segments of society that have and never will be able to control their emotions due to 60 plus years of entitlements...... and a plethora of other reasons..

Some quarters say "should never have been brought here"
Segments of society that have and never will be able to control their emotion.....due to sixty plus years of entitlements...and other reasons

Why Drummer61 would a supposed enlightened individual like yourself quote catch phrases that come straight out of the mouth of a racist bigot, while giving no qualifiers as to what "you" really believe ? Your post only contains ignorant stereotypes and nothing else. Maybe my rush to judgement was premature, but your comments to the criminal act of the players were incendiary and an insult to a large segment of the population. Tell us your views, not some fool wearing a hood.

Two things: If 'entitlements' are meant to point at some of the programs of the Great Society, that was 50 years ago. And, that was a noble gesture of an enlightened society. Lyndon B Johnson may have gone down as one of the greatest presidents had something else not happened 50 years ago: Him committing combat troops to Vietnam. And as for the 'quarters', some of my good friends grew up there and we got a lot better football wise when they started playing at Charlotte High - which by the way, was the first high school in the state of Florida to integrate on its own. C'mon guys we're better than this. Aside from combat nothing mixes the races better than this sport of ours.

Some quarters say "should never have been brought here"
Segments of society that have and never will be able to control their emotion.....due to sixty plus years of entitlements...and other reasons

Why Drummer61 would a supposed enlightened individual like yourself quote catch phrases that come straight out of the mouth of a racist bigot, while giving no qualifiers as to what "you" really believe ? Your post only contains ignorant stereotypes and nothing else. Maybe my rush to judgement was premature, but your comments to the criminal act of the players were incendiary and an insult to a large segment of the population. Tell us your views, not some fool wearing a hood.
Racist bigot !!!!!!!!!! Your the racist!!!! Someone posts an alternative view that others have stated and rather than ask for numbers, state another reason or cause, you mis-quote with bad intention.. You purposely left out the context and made it appear as fact !!! Drive by tactics at best.. Premature, never..... A hood!!!!!!!!!!!!!......yours glows with intolerance of other peoples opinions.......... My final word...........''DAN OF DAYTONA IS A DRIVE BY CHEAP SHOT ARTIST" !!!!

Drummer... Let me be very clear...

Please explain what you actually mean by your comment... If its lost in translation then so be it but translate that ASAP or find another board spew that mess.

Your turn

Also... I'd further like to put that its pretty hard for an old white guy like Dan to be racist attending BCU, marrying a black gal, and having a half black daughter... If he is racist my name must be Clayton Bigsby.... Drummer.

Reactions: Neutral 0bserver
Back to it:

From USA Today:

The high school football official seemingly targeted by two San Antonio John Jay football players has broken his silence to TexasHSFootball.com’s Ronald Oswalt.
The official was identified by the Austin American Statesman as Robert Watts, a 14-year veteran.

“I like to keep my officiating quiet; unfortunately this will be big news,” he said. “Libel and slander have already been committed against me. I will be contacting the appropriate people soon and any statement from me will come at a later date.”
It is unclear what recourse Watts intends to take.

Watts was knocked down by one player in the fourth quarter of the game at Marble Falls and then another player jumped on him.
As soon as No. 12 knocked him down, No. 81— strong safety opposite of No. 12 — barreled into the official as he laid there on the turf. As soon as the play ended, and the referee gathered himself, he ejected No. 12, but ejected No. 7, who had not been involved in the hits on the official, but came over to him after the play. No. 81, who was the second player to hit the referee remained in the game.
Two John Jay players had previously been ejected for trash talking, according to reports.
Also Monday,
the Marble Falls Police Department announced that it was opening an investigation and hoped to have a resolution determined within a week. No arrests have been made at this point.
With school back in session Tuesday, the Northside ISD is expected to begin a “due process hearing,” according to district spokesman Pascual Gonzales.

The players have been suspended from the team and school.
“We will handle this incident on Tuesday morning and schedule a due process hearing which will include formal interviews with coaching staffing , the students themselves and other athletes, anyone who has knowledge of whatever was seen. The bottom line is, Northside will not tolerate this type of behavior. It does appear the athletes intentionally tackled the referee, but we have not confirmed it.”

I've been to Marble Falls many times, it's a great place to visit. I'm sure they will handle this incident wisely. Texas takes their HS football to another level. Being a fan of Cedar Park Tx, I have seen many HS games while visiting my daughter and have very rarely seen any un-sportsman like conduct against another player, coach. team or ref. I suspect the 2 players conducted this hit on their own and already have been made an example of. Texas Schools will not let this go without holding all of those responsible accountable, coaches included. It will be settled in a quite manner. The 2 athletes most likely will never play again and are probably already expelled from school. I would also bet they will do many weeks/months of community service.

What has been done can not be undone, but others can learn from it.

Why in the world would #81's coach have allowed him to stay in the game after that? You know at least one of the coaches saw that it was him who came in and batted cleanup on that ref. The ref obviously had his bell rung and had no idea who the second kid was.

Good point both hits come from behind and he's the other safety. Like I mentioned earlier, there has been some talk a coach may have sanctioned it (I sure hope not). They said they were investigating today, so let's see.

Cat, I think the message since it's happened has been shock and dismay, with most everyone saying they'd ever seen anything close to that before. That's something reserved for hooligan soccer crowds.

Drummer... Let me be very clear...

Please explain what you actually mean by your comment... If its lost in translation then so be it but translate that ASAP or find another board spew that mess.

Your turn
White guilt !!!!! Now who wins 8A in Fla.. Don't ask..

Two things: If 'entitlements' are meant to point at some of the programs of the Great Society, that was 50 years ago. And, that was a noble gesture of an enlightened society. Lyndon B Johnson may have gone down as one of the greatest presidents had something else not happened 50 years ago: Him committing combat troops to Vietnam. And as for the 'quarters', some of my good friends grew up there and we got a lot better football wise when they started playing at Charlotte High - which by the way, was the first high school in the state of Florida to integrate on its own. C'mon guys we're better than this. Aside from combat nothing mixes the races better than this sport of ours.
What changed????? for example, HS test scores, since LBJ's "GREAT SOCIETY" took place billions has been spent on education??? We now rank much, much LOWER than we did back then in the world. Families have folded up, graduation rates have down to less than 50%in one segment, Chicago murder rates, with the toughest gun laws around, are at an all time high on and on... The billions spent and started by LBJ have enslaved a segment of society... Made millions dependent on Govt relief............Spending more and more i.e."Great Society" has been an abject failure and will ultimately ruin American as in Greece, Puerto Rico and Florida with among other things one of the lowest performing school systems in the America.. LBJ was one of the worst, could NOT get re-elected, left office, never ran again and died. Done !!!!!!!!!!

First of all, anyone who looked at the video and thought "color" was the crux of the problem is wrong. The color/race of either perp is - or certainly should be - irrelevant.

What's relevant is their actions. Reportedly, they, and other members of their team, were incensed by one or more prior ejections. Maybe the referee that was targeted was the guy who ejected their teammate(s), maybe he wasn't. Makes no difference. He shouldn't have been intentionally struck.

If Nu'Trelle was a gamblin man, he'd lay even money that if you put either perp on a lie detector and asked if their motivation for hitting the ref amounted to "payback" (or the administration of "street justice"), they'd both flunk if they said "No."

If Nu'Trelle won that bet and was playing with house money, he'd immediately double down and bet that at least one of the Jay coaches had sanctioned the hit. Nu'Trelle's gut tells him the odds of any kid committing an act that bold (i.e., in full view of a stadium full of spectators and who knows how many video cameras} without the encouragement of a coach are extremely small.

The people who run the game need get to the bottom of this. Doesn't matter what they do to the perps (e.g., never let them play another down of HS football in TX etc.), if a coach (or coaches) either ordered or gave the deed his blessing, this is who needs to receive a lifetime ban.

BTW according to reports, "trash talking" was involved in the first two ejections. Here's Nu'Trelle's stance on that: Trash talking doesn't belong in football.

Sorry to those who disagree, but Nu'Trelle is old school and when he wore pads you didn't have to listen to some d---- head run his mouth for 4 quarters. If Nu'Trelle was heading a crew of officials and given authority to establish the rules of engagement, here's a part of what he would say to the Captains at every pre-game coin toss:

"This crew will not tolerate unsportsmanlike conduct and that includes trash talk. If a member of your team is flagged for trash talking, in addition to the assessment of the yardage penalty, we will issue one warning to your sideline. The next violation for trash talking, as well as any other subsequent violations, will automatically result in the ejection of the offending player. Are we clear on that? Does anyone have a question?"

First of all, anyone who looked at the video and thought "color" was the crux of the problem is wrong. The color/race of either perp is - or certainly should be - irrelevant.

What's relevant is their actions. Reportedly, they, and other members of their team, were incensed by one or more prior ejections. Maybe the referee that was targeted was the guy who ejected their teammate(s), maybe he wasn't. Makes no difference. He shouldn't have been intentionally struck. GOOD POST...

If Nu'Trelle was a gamblin man, he'd lay even money that if you put either perp on a lie detector and asked if their motivation for hitting the ref amounted to "payback" (or the administration of "street justice"), they'd both flunk if they said "No."

If Nu'Trelle won that bet and was playing with house money, he'd immediately double down and bet that at least one of the Jay coaches had sanctioned the hit. Nu'Trelle's gut tells him the odds of any kid committing an act that bold (i.e., in full view of a stadium full of spectators and who knows how many video cameras} without the encouragement of a coach are extremely small.

The people who run the game need get to the bottom of this. Doesn't matter what they do to the perps (e.g., never let them play another down of HS football in TX etc.), if a coach (or coaches) either ordered or gave the deed his blessing, this is who needs to receive a lifetime ban.

BTW according to reports, "trash talking" was involved in the first two ejections. Here's Nu'Trelle's stance on that: Trash talking doesn't belong in football.

Sorry to those who disagree, but Nu'Trelle is old school and when he wore pads you didn't have to listen to some d---- head run his mouth for 4 quarters. If Nu'Trelle was heading a crew of officials and given authority to establish the rules of engagement, here's a part of what he would say to the Captains at every pre-game coin toss:

"This crew will not tolerate unsportsmanlike conduct and that includes trash talk. If a member of your team is flagged for trash talking, in addition to the assessment of the yardage penalty, we will issue one warning to your sideline. The next violation for trash talking, as well as any other subsequent violations, will automatically result in the ejection of the offending player. Are we clear on that? Does anyone have a question?"

I'm talking intent Drummer, it was what an enlightened society should have done - Freedom is not for just the ones who have the power, the Voting Rights Act, Civil Right legislation, etc - that pendulum had to swing. Curious, what would you have done?

I don't disagree that it got totally screwed up, but Social Security was a great idea too and it's almost broke because of the way self-serving politicians managed it and the string pullers that IKE warned everybody about had the agenda of keeping the military industrial complex fed.

For everyone else: ESPN just reported a coach told those guys that the ref "had to pay" for screwing them out of the game. Now that's just bad.

Thank you for your nice compliments Drummer61. I understand your point, and this matter should be dealt with swiftly and to the fullest extent of the law. As far as the coaches possibly being involved, I am sorry to say that that doesn't surprise me. There have been many instances where officials have been physically threatened and have had to have police escorts out of stadiums, several that I have seen first hand. I could tell you of one school in the Northern part of the state that many officials simply refuse to go too because of past instances too many to count. Of course, many now playing the "race card" do not know of this, and just jump on and accuse a poster like Drummer61 when I feel that he/she was making a valid point.

(CNN)The video shows a bone-crushing tackle on a Texas high school football field -- not one player hitting another, but one player leveling a game-day official. As if that blindside hit wasn't alarming enough, one of his John Jay High School teammates finishes it off by diving helmet-first on the fallen umpire.

But what the video doesn't show is why.

On Tuesday, Texas school officials offered clues -- suggesting that Mustang players were angry about calls and alleged racial slurs from one game official, and may have been directed to take action.

"The students alleged that an assistant coach said (of the targeted umpire), 'That guy needs to pay for cheating us,' or words to that effect," Northside Independent School District spokesman Pascual Gonzalez told reporters.

That 23-year-old coach, who was hired in 2010, is on administrative leave while authorities investigate the incident in Friday night's game between John Jay and Marble Falls High School. Northside School Superintendent Brian Woods said the players apparently told the assistant coach about slurs directed against them.

"His alleged suggestion to the students was inappropriate and could have led to this incident," Gonzalez said.

The players and coach are not the only ones potentially in trouble. School officials also plan to file a complaint against the referee who allegedly directed at least two racial slurs at John Jay players.

So now it gets interesting. Wonder what will happen now? Is this suggesting that what happened was justified? Mmmm.....

Welcome aboard Mr Mxyzptlk. Seems this ugly episode might have a few more twist and turns then some narrow minded individuals first believed. Can you hear me Drummer ? How about you, Jambun ? Talk about the Dynamic Dual of Enlightenment.... can you say dinosaurs.

The latest accusation was that the ref made racial slurs against the players. Is this enough to possibly paralyze him? I've played a lot of sports in my life and never heard a ref or umpire make comments like that. Most times they don't even interact with the players.

This is a sad situation for high school football. If players can't play within the rules of football and human decency, this may lead to the demise of the sport. With all the recent issues in the NFL, it's already on thin ice.

Welcome aboard Mr Mxyzptlk. Seems this ugly episode might have a few more twist and turns then some narrow minded individuals first believed. Can you hear me Drummer ? How about you, Jambun ? Talk about the Dynamic Dual of Enlightenment.... can you say dinosaurs.
DAYTONA DAN, HAVE A NICE DAY AT THE BEACH.. WE ARE DONE AS I NO LONGER WILL MAJOR IN MINOR THINGS AND AM PLANNING A TRIP TO MONTE CARLO AND CORSICA...

The latest accusation was that the ref made racial slurs against the players. Is this enough to possibly paralyze him? I've played a lot of sports in my life and never heard a ref or umpire make comments like that. Most times they don't even interact with the players.

This is a sad situation for high school football. If players can't play within the rules of football and human decency, this may lead to the demise of the sport. With all the recent issues in the NFL, it's already on thin ice.
GREAT POST !!!!! BAD SITUATION..

DAYTONA DAN, HAVE A NICE DAY AT THE BEACH.. WE ARE DONE AS I NO LONGER WILL MAJOR IN MINOR THINGS AND AM PLANNING A TRIP TO MONTE CARLO AND CORSICA...

Have a nice trip abroad Drummer61. May your luggage be rerouted to Istanbul, may your companion (I'm open minded) run off with the Nigerian bellhop, also may your food poisoning be alleviated by a single stomach pumping. I kid you, Drummer61 (wink,wink).....hurry up back now !

Have a nice trip abroad Drummer61. May your luggage be rerouted to Istanbul, may your companion (I'm open minded) run off with the Nigerian bellhop, also may your food poisoning be alleviated by a single stomach pumping. I kid you, Drummer61 (wink,wink).....hurry up back now !
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...... I like the send off and if any of you get the chance, visit Corsica and the south of France.... Visit only as many girls there don't shave under arms or legs.. Great food though.......... and whoever asked about the Bergen Catholic freshman, he's been offered by Rutgers and another.. See you in two wks...

Racial Slurs? So that is the justification for this despicable behavior by the players and coaches. The official that was accused of denies this, and was looking at his options for a slander or libel lawsuit. I hope that he goes through with this as well as pressing charges, and I support him all the way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT