ADVERTISEMENT

Tallahassee perennial powers in trouble?

Wakulla vs Rickards shaping up to be quite a game! Game is in Medart but we will still have the Tallahassee refs!

Wakulla and Rickards will be a great game...there will be a huge crowd on hand to see these two old rivals play...

If we play as bad against Rickards as we did against Godby...we will lose..plain and simple.

How is North Florida Christian doing? Do you have one powerhouse left?

That's good for the panhandle but bad for Tallahassee in the playoffs. Hope they do better next year!

What's your opinion on 5A district 1? They seem to be beating each other with no clear cut leader at this time. If Wakulla beats Rickards in two weeks, they will be the district champion and will host the runner up.

Lincoln has as much talent as they always do but their coaching staff is just simply clueless. If Shakir isn't gone at the end of this season I will be surprised.

Lincoln has as much talent as they always do but their coaching staff is just simply clueless. If Shakir isn't gone at the end of this season I will be surprised.

I was thinking the same thing...Lincoln should not be struggling the way they are...

What is your opinion on Rickards? I know they've struggled and won against Leon and Madison. We've played both of them..Leon is terrible and Madison is very average..nowhere near the Madison teams of old...we beat Leon 34 - 3 in the kickoff classic and was ahead of Madison 31-0 at halftime. In the Leon game we didn't play Feleipe at all, only played Keith Gavin on defense and played the JV and backups in the second half. There was a running clock in the second half of the Madison game. I'm curious how we will match up with Rickards next week. We played bad against Godby this past Friday but still won the game fairly easily. Rickards really got my attention when they beat Lincoln.

I was thinking the same thing...Lincoln should not be struggling the way they are...

What is your opinion on Rickards? I know they've struggled and won against Leon and Madison. We've played both of them..Leon is terrible and Madison is very average..nowhere near the Madison teams of old...we beat Leon 34 - 3 in the kickoff classic and was ahead of Madison 31-0 at halftime. In the Leon game we didn't play Feleipe at all, only played Keith Gavin on defense and played the JV and backups in the second half. There was a running clock in the second half of the Madison game. I'm curious how we will match up with Rickards next week. We played bad against Godby this past Friday but still won the game fairly easily. Rickards really got my attention when they beat Lincoln.

I have seen Rickards and Wakulla both play this year. If Wakulla doesn't turn the ball over they will win by 2TD.

Lincoln's talent is nowhere close to normal. The QB for one, is awful. That said, they should be 3-3 as they never should have lost to Rickards or Chiles. Credit both of those for winning but it's mostly offensive incompetence that has hurt the Trojans. I'd like to see a staff shake up. Shakir has proven himself but now needs to change some assistants. Too bad but they used to have some excellent assistants who now are at games as spectators or scouts.

Former Asst. Coach, can you expand a little bit on the statement of Wakulla getting "home cooking" from the Big Bend Officials Association?

Jambun you implied something by saying the "tallahassee refs"...I don't want to get fined... I will let this sleeping dog lay...I do recall discussing it with JD a few times in the past... in jest of course..He would always chuckle and give me a wink... And say "what you talkin' bout Willis?"

Lincoln's talent is nowhere close to normal. The QB for one, is awful. That said, they should be 3-3 as they never should have lost to Rickards or Chiles. Credit both of those for winning but it's mostly offensive incompetence that has hurt the Trojans. I'd like to see a staff shake up. Shakir has proven himself but now needs to change some assistants. Too bad but they used to have some excellent assistants who now are at games as spectators or scouts.

Wow how the mighty have fallen. What's the deal behind all his good assistants leaving?

Also I saw someone call for his job and that he is clueless but I mean this dude is not that far removed from a state title and some playoff runs to say he can't coach SHEESH!

Former Asst. Coach, can you expand a little bit on the statement of Wakulla getting "home cooking" from the Big Bend Officials Association?

"Morgan and Morgan For the People"

Nope its "Jambun and Jambun for the Officials"

I don't agree with that. I have found much better officiating to the east than at the western end of the panhandle. Ever been to Pensacola to see a game? I have seen many games from there to Tallahassee. I have had no problems with the officiating in Tallahassee.

Having said that, I have been watching freshman games this year in SW Florida and the refs are bad. A blatant block in the back was not called. But, they could call holding repeatedly but only on one team.

I think the level of officiating skill has diminished greatly. I would assume the best refs have moved up to the college level where the pay is better and high school games are left with the rest. We need some young blood to step up, learn the game, and do the best officiating job you can.

Having said that, I have been watching freshman games this year in SW Florida and the refs are bad...We need some young blood to step up, learn the game, and do the best officiating job you can.
And have people like you write stuff like this about them? Get ridiculed by fans and coaches? And hit by disgruntled players? For what $50 bucks a night? Yeah ... Right... Who the hell would want that?

$50 bucks a night is a good money to some people. We don't all make the big bucks!

Choctaw fan, officials have to buy their equipment, pay dues to their Association, pay dues and registration to the FHSAA, buy insurance if they want, and many other assorted expenses. It is hard to recruit young people who have full-time jobs and families to support with the time commitment that has to be put into officiating. You seem to have many criticisms of officials, but I can assure you that it is not as easy as it looks. People like you who sit in the stands and think you can do a better job are encouraged to come to the training sessions, learn the rules, and see for yourself what officials have to deal with and what is required of them every week.

From jambun82 to Choctaw fan: ...officials have to buy their equipment, pay dues to their Association, pay dues and registration to the FHSAA, buy insurance if they want, and many other assorted expenses. It is hard to recruit young people who have full-time jobs and families to support with the time commitment that has to be put into officiating. You seem to have many criticisms of officials, but I can assure you that it is not as easy as it looks. People like you who sit in the stands and think you can do a better job are encouraged to come to the training sessions, learn the rules, and see for yourself what officials have to deal with and what is required of them every week.

Poor Choctaw_fan. All she was doing originally was trying to figure out if it was okay to use the elevator.

I would love to become a ref if only my knees were not riddled with arthritis. These days it's tough to even walk. The only reason I never became an official is that was usually on the field playing. That's 25 seasons of softball, 40 years of bowling, about 20 years of volleyball, indoor and outdoor soccer, and high school basketball. Do I know the rules of most sports? YES!

I don't expect refs to be perfect. If anything, instant reply has shown how good they are. But I do expect them to call the blatant offenses. If not, players are going to get hurt.

Big Bend refs are a joke. They called several bogus penalties last night to keep Kepn in the game with Kathleen.

I would love to become a ref if only my knees were not riddled with arthritis. These days it's tough to even walk..

Dr_Howard_Kapp.jpg

You have no idea how fortunate you are to have moved to Naples. One of the finest orthopedic surgeons in the world lives here. Set up an appointment to see Dr. Howard Kapp (239) 434-8605. He does 700 +/- knees/hips per year (including both of Nu'Trelle's knees in June, 2013). It took you a lifetime to destroy both knees, but Dr. Kapp can make them almost like-new and you'll only be inconvenienced for 4-6 weeks. The agony will be gone. You'll get your life back and be able to do things you probably haven't been able to do for years. Don't spend any more time limping around in pain.

Thanks for the recommendation. He's a "preferred provider" so I'll have to make an appointment.

Footnote, some quotes from people within the medical profession:

Rehab Nurse who came to Nu'Trelle's home: She claimed Dr. Kapp had done joint replacements on 7 of her relatives, most of whom traveled from other parts of the U.S. on her recommendation. A former college softball player, she said that if she moved from SW FL and needed knee or hip surgery, she would get on an airplane and fly straight back to Naples, explaining "That's how good Dr. Kapp is."

Two therapists got Nu'Trelle out of bed to walk post-op on Saturday. After he explained to them that he was Dr. Kapp's fourth surgery on Wednesday and fifth on Friday:
Female therapist: "During the busy season, Dr. Kapp will sometimes perform 8 full-joint replacements in a day.
Male therapist: (nodding in agreement) Dr. Kapp is a "machine".

Nu'Trelle - who fears doctor visits so much he has to work up the courage to go get blood drawn - put the surgery off for many, many years. When you get to point where the cartilage is gone and it's bone on bone, a person will even consider amputation as an alternative.

Dr. Kapp was very straightforward, "Without surgery, today is the best day of the rest of your life. From the standpoint of pain and immobility, things are only going to get worse."

On recommending that it would be advisable to do both knees in the same recuperation cycle, Nu'Trelle said, "If we do both knees at once, that means I won't even have one good knee to walk on."

Dr Kapp immediately responded, "Sir, you haven't had one good knee to walk on for quite some time."

In closing, it's a little over two years post-op and sometimes I can't even remember how much pain was in both knees. Even when laying in bed, the pain was so intense that I would wake up immediately if one knee brushed against the other.

Make the call. Consult with Dr. Kapp. A couple months down the road, you'll think a miracle happened.

Come on Former, not only will Richards bring the Tallahassee officials, they will probably ride down on the bus with them. Those guys were a joke in the Godby game! How do you call holding time after time on one and not on the other, when we can see them holding right in front of the head linesman ( pulled his jersy neck down over the edge of his shoulder pad). As you know, you could call holding on every play. When it is selectively called only on one team something is not right!

Jvine1, has this been a consistent problem from your point-of-view for a long time? Do you find that the officials in this area favor some teams over others?

It looks like to me, I know I see it from my point of view! Lots of teams get home cooking, I would like to see that go away and let the boys play!

So would I, it indeed this what is happening. Have you talked to any Head Coaches about this matter?

Moon, stop. You know it happens. There ain't doodie anyone can do about it, because when you complain, the next week, it rains down on you.
Why do you think no one ever wants to tell you who they coach for?

No I don't know that it happens. That is why I ask if the accuser has talked to Head Coaches when they are calm and reasonable, and not caught up in the heat of the moment. I was only kidding about asking you where you coached, I know that you wouldn't tell me, and it doesn't really matter anyway. Most, if not all officials don't care who wins games that they officiate, but they also don't like to be threatened by coaches. Coaches, players, fans, and even some administrators are emotionally involved into games, officials are not.

... but they also don't like to be threatened by coaches. Coaches, players, fans, and even some administrators are emotionally involved into games, officials are not.

Just like any group, certain percentages of officials carry extra sensitivity to feeling threatened, being emotionally involved, being unprofessional, vindictive childish, ignorant, bigoted, and dumb as well, you know, dumb.

Yes, I agree that some officials might carry extra sensitivity, and take things too far. The ultimate goal is for both coaches and teams to feel that they had a fairly officiated game. If they don't, then steps should be taken to ensure that they do in the future.

Yes you will... And don't go there... Wakulla gets more home cooking from Big Bend Officials than the Tally schools...

You should have been at the game last night, they (refs) were in rare form! Two Tallahassee teams (Godby and Rickards), 12 holding call against Wakulla and not one against Tallahassee. These Big Bend refs should be ashamed of themselves! They are blatantly biased!

I hope that crew never does a Wakulla game again...two games in a row they've nearly killed us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT