ADVERTISEMENT

St Thomas -at- Braden River

My bad peezy. It was '07 when you got me the tickets and STA beat the Packers 35-14. Close for a half, then Aquinas wore Largo out. WAVE OUT!

Yep, and then they did the same thing again the following year I think 28-14. Largo competed and if they had more depth probably could have won but that is the thing about STA... They have Talent and Depth... When your guys get tired they put in backups that are not much drop off from the starters... Largo probably had about 30 players so that was not happening.

I believe tickets are going to be $9, and as some have stated earlier, seating will be at a premium.

I would expect it to be standing room only unless you get there very early. Traffic will be a big issue as well. So, get there early!

Good luck to BR and win one for Manatee County fellas!

Whoever wins will play Columbia IMO- unfortunately FL is so dang watered down- i wish we had 6 classifications- 8 is too many and there are too many blow out playoff games and too many blow out state title games

I agree with you 100. No reason for 8 classes. Six was fun to watch but I would be fine with seven at most.

and the wheels start to wobble on the BR mobile. didn't take long.
Physically Braden River is a capable team on offence........The Braden River QB has made some nice throws but his pocket presence leaves a little bit to be desired. Braden River OL has created holes for the RB's to run through. Defensively Braden River looks to be taken to school in a big way. STA hasn't really gotten the running game going but the STA QB has all day to throw and is consistently hitting his open WR's. Braden River has made all the big mistakes thus far and STA capitalized.

Game isnt over but Braden River has got to stop STA to start the 2nd half and put some points on the board, or this game is over.

Go Canes Go!

Well BR put up a good fight and luckily the score looks better than it could've been.

Welcome to the years of going through STA to get to the finals.

Us Canes fans know the feeling all so well.

Anyone have an update on the kid that was taken off the field in the third quarter?

Good game but Braden River made to many mistakes, and gave up some big third downs defensively in the 1st half that led to STA touchdowns. Offensively, Braden River ball control, methodical drive type offense moved the ball well but they don't have the ability to score quickly so it's hard to come from behind. They were able to run the first half. Defensively, Braden River didn't put enough pressure on the QB. He had too much time to throw and that hurt Braden River. Turnovers hurt also. STA only scored 6 points in the second half. I was surprised that STA didn't have more of a run game. I forgot Harriot from University School was the coach. His OC is a spread em out pass happy type of coach. I remember when University Christian came down and played Manatee and Manatee ran it down their throat in the second half to come back and win. Univ Christian jumped out 21-0 and lost.

Viera... Who the heck is Viera, and who would have thunk? Should they even dress out against STA?

STA by what ever number they want to shove down Viera's throat.

I remember last year, Viera was undefeated and they got blasted by Charlotte first round 48-0. I guess they had a good group coming back. They are 10-4 this year but lost close games.

Braden RIver did just about all they could do against a very young and talented STA team. What's scary is this STA team is not one of their best. They started several sophomores and juniors and looked the part at times. Braden RIvers first scoring drive was extended by several STA penalties. After the first quarter it was apparent BR was in for a long night. BR came out ready to play and to their credit won the first quarter 10-7. In the end STA was just to athletic and talented. It will be interesting to see where BR goes from here. Gatorman who puts a lot of emphasis on the lower levels would really be concerned if he was a BR supporter. Their program is not to the point yet were they just reload. Not having a freshman program this year, and not so great JV team it will be interesting to see where they go from here? Congratulations BR for a great year! You made Manatee County proud!

TWC2499 it was just 2 penalties and neither extended that drive. 1st one was a face mask penalty, that had it not been called would of had Braden River facing a 3rd and 1. The second was an encroachment call on STA on 2nd down which left Braden River facing a 2nd and 3 after the official marked off the penalty. Braden River had a nice drive going as well when the QB fumbled the ball.....which would eventually lead to a STA TD. There was nothing apparent during the 1st half that Braden River was way over its head. When Braden River was in a position to stick with its base offense, they continued to methodically move the chains on the STA defense. If there was one thing that proved to be a difference maker in this game it was Braden River's inability to put pressure on the STA QB, and thus give him all day to find open WR's. Braden River shut down the STA running game save a couple of runs at the very end of the game when the out come was already settled.

TWC249 I hope your brother/nephew/ cousin etc....... was watching how STA ran its 3-4, all starting 11 played with a level of intensity that I never saw with Manatee last year as well as practiced sound tackling technique the entire game.

Go Canes Go!

Braden RIver did just about all they could do against a very young and talented STA team. What's scary is this STA team is not one of their best. They started several sophomores and juniors and looked the part at times. Braden RIvers first scoring drive was extended by several STA penalties. After the first quarter it was apparent BR was in for a long night. BR came out ready to play and to their credit won the first quarter 10-7. In the end STA was just to athletic and talented. It will be interesting to see where BR goes from here. Gatorman who puts a lot of emphasis on the lower levels would really be concerned if he was a BR supporter. Their program is not to the point yet were they just reload. Not having a freshman program this year, and not so great JV team it will be interesting to see where they go from here? Congratulations BR for a great year! You made Manatee County proud!

BR will probably have a good team next year but nothing like this for another 3-4 years. They remind me of Southeast when they were up and coming.

Kudos to STA but Braden River played too conservative on defense. Those 3 down lineman created no pressure at all. Whether you believe it or not, Braden River could have won the game. I think we can just crown STA as champs at this point. I would love to see STA vs. IMG this year.

I wasn't there but I followed on twitter and have heard a lot about it from friends who were. STA scored on a big pass play to go ahead 14-10 then STA scored off a fumble by the BR quarterback that put them up 21-10 before halftime and BR never could come back. The 3rd quarter was a defensive battle. BR had an opportunity after their defense made an interception. Next play, STA's cornerback Asante Samuel Jr. made a phenomenal (every bit as good as his dad) interception getting the ball right back for STA. IMO that play was the play of the game. I've seen a clip of that play and the BR quarterback pass was right on the money. Any other time that would have been a BR score and would have got them right back in the game. Late in the game, STA made the final td to put it away. A BR player was hurt and had to be carried off the field. Hopefully its not too serious.

Has there ever been a season where Aquinas did NOT have a kicker who puts it clear in the back of the end zone in every single kickoff?

The "word" around the stadium is that the kicker is from Missouri but came to STA to play football. He is a University of Missouri commit.

Here's a few shots from the game.

23549527495_88d4b94819_o.jpg

23441011032_0e84d17ee8_o.jpg

22922450283_e7729dd5ef_o.jpg

23549525945_1cbb093d31_o.jpg

23549529345_8ced5b6455_o.jpg

Gatorman, the entire MHS staff laugh at your poor football IQ! So please reframe from giving any of your pop warner coaching advice you might have to any of the coaches, staff and fans that participate on this board!

Also, please keep your personal comments to yourself. We can agree to disagree but mentioning names or family ties etc is unacceptable! Thank you!

Oh, talking about missed tackles, STA played terrible the first half because of missed tackles.

Last edited:
Gatorman, the entire MHS staff laugh at your poor football IQ! So please reframe from giving any of your pop warner coaching advice you might have to any of the coaches, staff and fans that participate on this board!

Also, please keep your personal comments to yourself. We can agree to disagree but mentioning names or family ties etc is unacceptable! Thank you!

Oh, talking about missed tackles, STA played terrible the first half because of missed tackles.

TWC2499: What's truly humorous beyond your insistence of hiding behind a computer screen, is your post indicating the Manatee Coaching staff would have any interest in what my opinions are. If there were any truth to your most recent BS post concerning the Manatee HS coaching staff questioning my football IQ, one could safely then question the following?........... That when atleast certain members of the Manatee coaching staff start having a need to ever react to my or anyone's opinions on a high school message board, simply translates into an core issue of lack of confidence in its self, which leads one then to question the ability of those same individuals to coach or lead!

Go Canes Go!

Blah blah blah! Have a Happy Holiday season. We can go to battle again next season. Let's get back to talking football in the future. We can agree to disagree without both of us getting personal!

One thing we do agree on is.
Go Canes Go!

twc does not ride coat tails he has been the same loveable bag of hot air for a long time, sometimes to the embarrassment of his family and those seated around him!! And he hardly hides behind a screen name, anyone in this area knows who he is. He has had his opinion for both Kinnan Reigns and the one in between, not gonna shut up or change for anyone is my bet. Just keep talking smack!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT