ADVERTISEMENT

St Thomas -at- Braden River

BD1982

Jul 19, 2010
I know bc of the name BRHS is playing people think its going to be a blow out but if you just look at it position by position BR cannot only compete they have a realistic chance to win

BR OL vs ST DL/LB- advantage BR- they are big physical kids who are extremely strong including the TE who is 6'3'' 260 and w/o Bosa i like the BR OL

BR WR vs ST DB- Even

BR DB vs ST WR- slight advantage ST- a lot of firepower for ST with this position group but they are going against a secondary that has snagged 27 picks... this group also tackles extremely well in space! This match up will be interesting

BR DL/LB vs ST OL- Even- Both are big and physical- BR doesnt have any D-1 kids but they are all 250 and bigger and do a great job of holding up and not getting moved around and allow the LBs to fly around and make plays. When the opportunity presents itself to make plays BR LBS make them. They make them coming downhill and they make them in space- again a very interesting matchup

BR QB/ST QB- Even- Both are very talented- The BR kid just makes the right read 99% of the time

Special Teams- Advantage ST- BR has a really good kicker but there are more to special teams than that- They dont do anything special in the block game they do hold up simple returns with two returners. They dont cover kicks very well and i feel ST may be able to exploit this area of the game

I like St Thomas but would not be shocked in the least if BR were to pull the upset- #1 vs #2 so it wouldnt be a huge upset-

ST-27
BR-23

Go BR, particularly if they have a physical O-Line!! Tarps beat them in 02 and no one thought that would ever happen. Would love to see BR win this one.

I think a lot of people think this is going to be an easy win for STA but I think Braden River can pull off the upset. They are huge across the line, great QB, and all around decent team speed.

Braden River in a last minute upset. My friends have told me I've been a good luck charm when I've sat with them at the BR games, and I will be there on Friday. So there you go.

Somebody must be on some good stuff to predict a 27-23 STA win! I think Braden River has had a great year and played well but it is going to come to an end here Friday. Here’s why:

Opponents Record: Outside of Venice, BR has played no one. They scheduled every Manatee county team EXCEPT Manatee. Their overall opp record is 46 – 58. Their district opponents were all under .500 but Palmetto who barely squeaked by with an above .500 record at 6-4 and Venice who played the same lowly opponents basically as BRHS, was 10-2. Now STA has played an opp record of 66 – 46. They played Hallandale, Flanagan, and Booker T Washington who all had double digit wins and are either still playing in their class or were reginal finalist.

BR OL v STA DL/LB: BR does have size and that is a plus but their competition has not prepared them for the overall defensive team speed that STA has. I saw an average at best Plant City defense shut down BR run game so I think STA can as well. Even

BR WR v STA DB: This just funny to read EVEN on here. BR leading WR was a kid who was a Manatee transfer who wasn’t going to play and all of a sudden is a world beater? STA has 3 D 1 corners/safeties on their roster. Advantage STA

BR DL/LB v STA OL: STA is not has big as they have been but they are athletic. BR has some size but again, the over team speed of STA on offense is the difference. Advantage STA

Special Teams: STA is always great on special teams. I don’t know if BR prepares like STA in this department. Advantage STA

Overall, when you get to this point you have to be battle tested! I know that STA year in and year out plays the best of the best. I can't say that for BR. Going undefeated is very important to them as they try to build a program. I just don't know if that will get you to where you want to be in the long run?

My prediction is STA-38 BR-14

Somebody must be on some good stuff to predict a 27-23 STA win! I think Braden River has had a great year and played well but it is going to come to an end here Friday. Here’s why:

Opponents Record: Outside of Venice, BR has played no one. They scheduled every Manatee county team EXCEPT Manatee. Their overall opp record is 46 – 58. Their district opponents were all under .500 but Palmetto who barely squeaked by with an above .500 record at 6-4 and Venice who played the same lowly opponents basically as BRHS, was 10-2. Now STA has played an opp record of 66 – 46. They played Hallandale, Flanagan, and Booker T Washington who all had double digit wins and are either still playing in their class or were reginal finalist.

BR OL v STA DL/LB: BR does have size and that is a plus but their competition has not prepared them for the overall defensive team speed that STA has. I saw an average at best Plant City defense shut down BR run game so I think STA can as well. Even

BR WR v STA DB: This just funny to read EVEN on here. BR leading WR was a kid who was a Manatee transfer who wasn’t going to play and all of a sudden is a world beater? STA has 3 D 1 corners/safeties on their roster. Advantage STA

BR DL/LB v STA OL: STA is not has big as they have been but they are athletic. BR has some size but again, the over team speed of STA on offense is the difference. Advantage STA

Special Teams: STA is always great on special teams. I don’t know if BR prepares like STA in this department. Advantage STA

Overall, when you get to this point you have to be battle tested! I know that STA year in and year out plays the best of the best. I can't say that for BR. Going undefeated is very important to them as they try to build a program. I just don't know if that will get you to where you want to be in the long run?

A fumble punt return and a pick six enabled Manatee to upset a STA loaded with future NFL talent in 2010. I believe Braden River playing at home and with the right kind of bounce of the ball could pull an upset here. Bosa isn't the only injury STA has had this year, and for many of the same reasons BD stated to open this thread I believe the improbable could in fact happen

Go Canes Go!

Blah, Blah, Blah,.... In the early playoff rounds that would matter but this late in the game, both teams are there because they are good.

Reactions: BD1982
Braden River in a last minute upset. My friends have told me I've been a good luck charm when I've sat with them at the BR games, and I will be there on Friday. So there you go.

MustangMom, just curious, do your kids now go to BR? I have a friend who has one at LR and one at BR; says LRHS has problems.

All Braden River has to do is be the better team this Friday. I'm not sure if some of you guys are under-estimating Braden River or giving STA too much credit this year, but it will be a dogfight. I'm not a Braden River fan but I will be tomorrow.

Reactions: fla331boy
Blah, Blah, Blah,.... In the early playoff rounds that would matter but this late in the game, both teams are there because they are good.

I agree HWY- comparing records at this point is somewhat irrelevant. Did they schedule Manatee? No but seeing both in person BRHS is the better team and would expose MHS in the trenches- but that isnt the game we are talking about- BRHS has played a "softer" schedule but in that schedule they BLEW OUT all those "soft" teams just as Aquinas would have. And the slight towards the BR WR's shows a lack of football knowledge in my opinion. Watch the film- They (not just 14) run great routes they block extremely well and they catch the ball with tremendous consistency. Again i think some are caught up in the name of STA. BRHS is a newbie on the 7A team so its hard for many to recognize them as a real threat in 7A until you see them in person- They have the right pieces in all the right spots to make this thing go

BD1982, I know you want Braden River to carry that 7A District 11 torch to help make things feel better!

BD1982, I know you want Braden River to carry that 7A District 11 torch to help make things feel better!

Its not that at all- maybe they do get blown out i just dont see it and many other people around the game feel the same way. The QB just does not make mistakes- he is by far the best in the area. I would have really liked to see them with #4 carrying the ball but it is what it is. The OL is by far the best in SW FL. Now watching Bosa dominate a game the way i have seen him dominate if he was playing i think he would be disruptive enough to cause some long down and distance situations but with him out of the equation i do believe they will have some success up front and perhaps moreso than most think... will they win? well that is another story

And regardless who came out of 7A-11 after round 2 it was pretty much a given they would advance to round 4- which i thought would have been Venice

The only reason folk like myself and JD are picking against BR is we saw them against PC and felt if they were to compete with STA should have been able to blow out Plant City.

The only reason folk like myself and JD are picking against BR is we saw them against PC and felt if they were to compete with STA should have been able to blow out Plant City.

They certainly left some points on the field against PC (which we all know cannot be done against STA). BR's dominance especially in the 2nd half wasnt really indicated in the score. With that being said they must play quite a bit better this week- BUT they will be at home where they have played extremely well. If they are able to execute at the level they have all year i think it will be close- Still in favor of a STA win... however yes if the team you saw last week that didnt execute well at times shows up then yes STA will make you pay where PC was unable to

I think we all are guilty of over analyzing schedules. But for those who insist on doing it, let me throw this one out there: Plant City won 11 straight and their only loss before Braden River was in week 1 against Armwood, who last time I checked was a pretty good team. STA lost mid season to a really good Deerfield Beach team that went 10-2. So my way of looking at it, Braden River and Plant City are every bit as good as Deerfield Beach, and Armwood every bit as good as STA.

I would give the advantage to STA in terms of skill positions but I would give Braden River the advantage when it comes to the line. I honestly cannot not see Braden River getting blew out if they were to lose. If I had to predict the score of the game I would say...........Braden River 24 STA 21.

I think the game will go as follows...STA will come out and score within the first 2 drives. Everyone will say STA is going to blow them out. Braden River may answer with a field goal. STA will score again to make it 14-3 first quarter. Braden River settles down and scores before half to make it 14-10 STA. Braden River grinds it out on the ground and short passes down the field to make it 17-14 Braden River. STA answers with a score but gets it called back due to a penalty and everyone says the Refs are cheating. STA scores in the 4 quarter and Braden River answers with a score. Final score 24-21 Braden River is going to the 7A state championship.

I think we all are guilty of over analyzing schedules. But for those who insist on doing it, let me throw this one out there: Plant City won 11 straight and their only loss before Braden River was in week 1 against Armwood, who last time I checked was a pretty good team. STA lost mid season to a really good Deerfield Beach team that went 10-2. So my way of looking at it, Braden River and Plant City are every bit as good as Deerfield Beach, and Armwood every bit as good as STA.

don't get me wrong PC was a decent Hillsborough team but IMO Hillsborough did not have a lot of quality teams this year.

Jake Allen a Gator committ who was hurt in week 7 will play Friday night for STA! He is a difference maker!!

FLABOY941, if STA jumps out to a 14 lead, it is over period!

Jake Allen a Gator committ who was hurt in week 7 will play Friday night for STA! He is a difference maker!!

FLABOY941, if STA jumps out to a 14 lead, it is over period!

We all know STA is talented. They have the most players in the NFL from any high school in the U.S. If STA and BR played 5 times I think STA wins 4 of them.....BUT, the one game that Braden River wins is the one tomorrow. I'm looking forward to this game. The X-Factor tomorrow will be the weather. It's looking like it's a 40% percent chance of showers. If it's a rainy game, that favors Braden River. Good luck to both teams.

We all know STA is talented. They have the most players in the NFL from any high school in the U.S. If STA and BR played 5 times I think STA wins 4 of them.....BUT, the one game that Braden River wins is the one tomorrow. I'm looking forward to this game. The X-Factor tomorrow will be the weather. It's looking like it's a 40% percent chance of showers. If it's a rainy game, that favors Braden River. Good luck to both teams.
STA wins but if BR has real good coaches??? I watched as STA was beaten twice by a team from OOS 20-10 and then went on to win a Fla state championship. That same team rolled them 24-7 at West point.. That game had a late penalty across the field that prevented the score from being 31-7......... STA won another state championship that year too...My point is that STA was beaten by that team who was 7-4 both years...Great coaching and game plans won those games.... Maybe the 24-7 ass whipping was due to some brutal hits by the other team.. 181 may be right as STA will win by 14-21 pts,maybe more without rain..

Braden River was a very good HS team but not a team that can compete with STA for a full game. This one will get away from them at some point. Just reality. Sorry Manatee folks.

Reactions: Wavebb
Braden River was a very good HS team but not a team that can compete with STA for a full game. This one will get away from them at some point. Just reality. Sorry Manatee folks.

Like Largo when they competed with STA but could not complete it.

Reactions: 181pl and Wavebb
It was 2 years they competed and lost. CAn't remember which 2 tho.

I hate to say it but I agree with 181pl.

This one could end up in BR's favor but it's hard to match the talent that STA continues to bring. Let's be honest, it's always going to tough to play against a team of STA caliber than continues to reload.

BR doesn't have the talent that STA can recruit(and yes I mentioned that dirty word) especially the talent in South Florida alone.

I was there when Manatee pulled off on the best upsets for Manatee County. Like someone mentioned, Manatee had two huge plays that resulted in points. BR will have to chances and make STA pay for thier mistakes(if they make any). No room for wasted opportunities against the "Big Bad Wolf" from FTL.

STA has three RBs that have rushed for more than 100 and Kincaide having done it 5 times this year.

The quality of teams that STa plays down there is much better than that on BR's schedule.

A certain team in Manatee County scheduled games in the past to play high powered teams to simulate playoff type games due to the team they knew they would eventually have to go through to end up in Orlando.

I wish the kids at BR good luck and hope they play a complete, low penalty, no turnover game.

That's what it will take to beat any STA team.

Nice try all you STA proponents; but none of you could carry Oracle's jock strap promoting STA (That is if he ever wore one, probably just wore a silk thong).

I want to thank everybody who has contributed to this thread, and I am really enjoying reading everyone's point of view. This is what this message board should be about, talking about upcoming games, and predicting and analyzing how the game could and may go. There used to be a lot more of this on Fla Varsity a few years back, and I hope that we can get it back this way again.

Reactions: fla331boy
I believe tickets are going to be $9, and as some have stated earlier, seating will be at a premium.

Whoever wins will play Columbia IMO- unfortunately FL is so dang watered down- i wish we had 6 classifications- 8 is too many and there are too many blow out playoff games and too many blow out state title games

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT