ADVERTISEMENT

South Sumter 58 Ocala Trinity Catholic 20

howey long

Dec 7, 2002
The previous two meetings between these two SSHS was experiencing its worst back to back seasons under Sherman's 33 year tenure. Those two years had a combined total of 9 seniors. Talent level was at a all time low , team was 9th and 10th graders. Sadly it appears these misfortunes have fallen on OTC now.
Pre-game warm up OTC looked big and imposing , they were larger at every position. SSHS had the numbers but man on man OTC was larger. What the program can't show you is speed . SSHS had the advantage at every position , offensive and defense across the board.
Speaking with Coach Sherman midfield at SSHS traditional town meeting , he stated he knew that OTC would have that commanding drive early for a TD. Opening drive was 15 play 86 yards , finished with 1 yard TD run. He said our quick no huddle , up tempo speed game would wear them down.
SSHS's most productive and fastest player didn't dress , JT Taylor. It's #2 TB was on benched for 1st half.
It really didn't matter as 9 different ball carriers rushed for 253 yards in 1st half , QB Williams was 7-10 for 123 yds and 2 TDs in 1st half. Receiving was done by 4 different players. SSHS TD drives were short and Fast , 2,3,4,3,4 plays per series.
OTC controlled the clock in time of possession but that was pretty much it. OTC had 140 yards passing and 27 yards rushing in the first half. OTC line would open holes but SS ' s team speed would quickly close them. SS defensive end was giving up 120lbs to OTC's tackle , yet he could hardly lay a hand on him as he speed rushed by. First half ended 38-14 SS 376 yds OTC 167yds
SS did not run an offensive play in entire 3rd quarter. SS still won the qtr 14-6 . SS's #2 back Flowers finally got to see play and took 2nd half opening kickoff 88 yards for the score. Later Williams returned a punt 56 yards for a TD . That was SS's only touches . The punt return was Williams only play of second half as 2s and lower played remainer of game . SS 444 yds OTC (minus sacks )178 yds .
Although this game was sweet revenge for our previous losses to OTC , my hopes are next year when we travel there , things will be more balanced . OTC will have to find some players as 95% of what played this game are back for next year.

Last edited:
Father/son conversation overheard at an Ocala Trinity Catholic football game:

Little boy: Daddy, why are these people wearing their sunglasses at night?

Dad: Those are OTC fans: The future's so bright they gotta wear shades.

Little boy: Why they using those flashlights then?

Dad: They're lookin for their first victory.

I think OTC will find it this week. First quarter , they looked good. They were able to move chains down the field , using a lot of the clock . It was just SS didn't need a lot of clock with its big play offense . So far this season quick strikes have been the norm. Taylor ( didn't dress ) has lead this attack, against Hernando he had 5 carries for 178 yards and 3 TDs. OTC will probably hold it's own in district play with its power running and possession passing. Their Achilles heel is going to be playing teams with speed.

For those awaiting TCOcalaFan/ProSetEye response, please be patient.
After attending last night's game , TCOF/PSE decided the future was so damn bright, a return trip to Lenscrafter was needed to get shades wiff a darker tint.

He/She Neutral Observer (just returning the favor, slick). Trinity Catholic has had 4 trips to the championship game and numerous trips to the 2nd and third rounds. 12 years of successful teams. Can the team you support, whoever that is, say that? All you seem to do is bash the teams that other people support. You must be a person who is very proud of himself/herself. I'm sure that Trinity deserves a down year. You can't have 20 Seniors graduate, 8 players transfer back to public schools, and an entire new coaching staff, in a school that has less than 550 students, and then expect miracles. Hey, the season isn't half over. Even though The Celtics are not winning they are getting better each subsequent Friday. They could still win their district and then win the 3 playoff games. Wouldn't it be funny if they ended up in Orlando when everyone was enjoying making fun of them, you included.

Wasn't trying to degrade the OTC program , they have had success in the past. It appears that they are experiencing the cyclical ups and downs that all public schools experience . If you follow a public school you realize it is cyclical and understand that it won't be every year. You have to take the good with the bad.

... though the Celtics are not winning they are getting better each subsequent Friday. They could still win their district and then win the 3 playoff games.

RAY & STEVIE REACT TO PREDICTION THAT O.T.C. GONNA BE IN THE 3A FINALS

463039384.jpg

Reactions: howey long
I was at the OTC/JaxTCA game in week 1 and while I have no doubt that OTC is getting better each week against top competition, it's pretty unrealistic to expect this particular OTC team to beat Tampa Catholic, Tampa Berkeley Prep and Jacksonville Trinity in consecutive weeks.

I saw Tampa Catholic in person this past week and was in awe of their WR Nate Craig, RB Devan Barrett and numerous other guys around the field. Berkeley Prep is loaded this year as well.

We'll know more after this week when OTC plays First Academy. I don't think this First Academy team is the same as years past, but they still run the Wing-T very well. It also happens to be the BHSN game of the week, so it'll be televised. This is a winnable game for OTC.

My, my, my, my, my. Getting a bit defensive, aren't we?

For the record, the fun - and that's all it is - isn't being poked at a school, it's being poked at you.

That's fine, poke all you want. For someone who makes absurd comments regularly, on this board, I consider it an honor coming from you.

You still haven't stated what team you support. Either means you don't support any team or your team is so bad you're embarrassed. However, I'm pretty sure that your game is to be as silly and disruptive as you can. Kind of like you were in the 3rd or 4th grade. The class clown.

If stating the truth is being defensive, so be it.

Wasn't trying to degrade the OTC program , they have had success in the past. It appears that they are experiencing the cyclical ups and downs that all public schools experience . If you follow a public school you realize it is cyclical and understand that it won't be every year. You have to take the good with the bad.

Howie..............Your comments were right on. I respect someone who does constructive criticism. I don't respect people who's only claim to fame is seeing how much trash they can fling.

I was at the OTC/JaxTCA game in week 1 and while I have no doubt that OTC is getting better each week against top competition, it's pretty unrealistic to expect this particular OTC team to beat Tampa Catholic, Tampa Berkeley Prep and Jacksonville Trinity in consecutive weeks.

I saw Tampa Catholic in person this past week and was in awe of their WR Nate Craig, RB Devan Barrett and numerous other guys around the field. Berkeley Prep is loaded this year as well.

We'll know more after this week when OTC plays First Academy. I don't think this First Academy team is the same as years past, but they still run the Wing-T very well. It also happens to be the BHSN game of the week, so it'll be televised. This is a winnable game for OTC.

Jess....................If First Academy is anywhere near the one that defeated us in the 2012 playoffs, or even the one they had last season, then OTC will lose. They had an awesome team in 2012, went undefeated, and lost to Madison in the 3rd round. That Wing-T, if run correctly like Bolles does, is tough to stop. If I remember correctly, the 2012 First Academy team had a large Senior contingent that had played together for years. Came up from the pee wee leagues. From what I have been seeing of this year's OTC team, they look confused at times. Especially the defense. I could not believe how easily South Sumter ran and passed through it. It's very difficult for the long time OTC supporters to watch this current team. The moms and dads, of the players, are out there regardless. They just want to see their son play football. But, for those of us who live HS football and who don't have any school aged kids, it's tough. My one hope is that this team will eventually come together and play like they are capable of. If we can't beat First Academy on our field, then I will admit that the season is a loss.

Losing a coaching staff is a difficult transition . Thank God , SS hasn't had to face that in 33 years . We have assistant coaches that have been with program 25 to 30 years. Coach Sherman is coaching the kids now of his earlier years players . I'm watching the grand kids of guys I played with. The #1 Halloween customer for little boys in Sumter , a Raider football player. All little boys want to wear the Black for SSHS.

Last edited:
ProSetEye: I've been reading all the board banter about your team, OTC. Did the old coach make the schedule and were there some hard feelings when he left? Looking at your schedule, the current coach was set up to have a bad year.

A word of encouragement, in 2010 the team I support started the year 0-6, then won 3 district games to get into the playoffs. The next year was a up year. So it can be done.

To TCOcalaFan/ProSetEye: If you want to know who Nu'Trelle's "HS football team" is, he'll solve the mystery for you. Read carefully.

Nu'Trelle supports any and all high schools (public or private) where no one - boosters, parents, coaches, agents, absolutely no one - uses their influence in any form or fashion to tailor school enrollment to the benefit of one or more sports programs.

Read that as many times as necessary to absorb it.

It is getting harder and harder to find schools that - without exception - fit that description? You bet your a$$ it is.

Which team that's ranked in USA Today's Top 25 would qualify? How about FL's Top 25? Stupid question.

If you need a little personal background on Nu'Trelle, he played at an inner-city public HS in an era when you were assigned to a school by virtue of boundary lines. You didn't evaluate which coach would help you become a pro football player or which coach ran the "right system". It didn't go that way. You were assigned to a school and that's where you received 12 years of public education at taxpayer expense. Sports were no more than extra-curricular activities.

Were you expected to keep your mouth shut and make the best of things? Damn right. Did the majority of kids do fine, graduate, and go on to lead successful lives? The percentage was probably much higher back then than it is now.

Today's "honks" (yes, that term includes you ... in fact, you're one of the biggest honks who visits this forum) undoubtedly wouldn't have been too enthused with the set-up back then because it tended to provide for a more even distribution of talent. Additionally, because the talent pool at each school varied from year to year, boundary lines basically stifled the creation of what today's honks like to refer to as "dynasties".

Lastly - because you love to talk about coaches, good and bad - give today's average FL HS coach (guy who has a .500 record in FL) a roster as rich in talent as the one Kermit Bell enjoyed at OTC in 2005-2006 and the vast majority of these guys would have a great shot at doing exactly what Kermit did - take their team to the Finals.

Honks like you can rant all you want about extraneous factors, but at least 90% of success in the game of football is based on having the horses. Got enough horses? Maybe you can win. Stable basically empty? Teams stocked with more horses will likely humble you.

Most of today's coaches are faced with a task much more difficult than Nu'Trelle's coaches. From year to year, his coaches were handed what basically amounted to an even share of the pie. Not so today. Today's coaches are expected to make do with whatever is left over after the cupboard has been raided, re-raided, raided again, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: FMMG
Sumter county has South Sumter , which like name indicates is all of south end of county. Wildwood is in the north and has everything north of Shady Brook. It has always been that way. Then the Villages comes along and dilutes the pool somewhat at both ends with their program. SS has lost players only to have them return . The Villages has dodged SS for 20 years but not this year , they are in same district . The entire south end will turn out for that Buffalo burger feast.
This year with the suspension of a varsity program in Wildwood , any upperclassmen that wanted to play was allowed to tryout for SSHS. I think there are 5 players (2 starters) that fit that exception . Wildwood being 1B , it wasn't like an overwhelming talent pool , but the new boys seem to be happy on a winning program.

To TCOcalaFan/ProSetEye: If you want to know who Nu'Trelle's "HS football team" is, he'll solve the mystery for you. Read carefully.

Nu'Trelle supports any and all high schools (public or private) where no one - boosters, parents, coaches, agents, absolutely no one - uses their influence in any form or fashion to tailor school enrollment to the benefit of one or more sports programs.

Read that as many times as necessary to absorb it.

It is getting harder and harder to find schools that - without exception - fit that description? You bet your a$$ it is.

Which team that's ranked in USA Today's Top 25 would qualify? How about FL's Top 25? Stupid question.

If you need a little personal background on Nu'Trelle, he played at an inner-city public HS in an era when you were assigned to a school by virtue of boundary lines. You didn't evaluate which coach would help you become a pro football player or which coach ran the "right system". It didn't go that way. You were assigned to a school and that's where you received 12 years of public education at taxpayer expense. Sports were no more than extra-curricular activities.

Were you expected to keep your mouth shut and make the best of things? Damn right. Did the majority of kids do fine, graduate, and go on to lead successful lives? The percentage was probably much higher back then than it is now.

Today's "honks" (yes, that term includes you ... in fact, you're one of the biggest honks who visits this forum) undoubtedly wouldn't have been too enthused with the set-up back then because it tended to provide for a more even distribution of talent. Additionally, because the talent pool at each school varied from year to year, boundary lines basically stifled the creation of what today's honks like to refer to as "dynasties".

Lastly - because you love to talk about coaches, good and bad - give today's average FL HS coach (guy who has a .500 record in FL) a roster as rich in talent as the one Kermit Bell enjoyed at OTC in 2005-2006 and the vast majority of these guys would have a great shot at doing exactly what Kermit did - take their team to the Finals.

Honks like you can rant all you want about extraneous factors, but at least 90% of success in the game of football is based on having the horses. Got enough horses? Maybe you can win. Stable basically empty? Teams stocked with more horses will likely humble you.

Most of today's coaches are faced with a task much more difficult than Nu'Trelle's coaches. From year to year, his coaches were handed what basically amounted to an even share of the pie. Not so today. Today's coaches are expected to make do with whatever is left over after the cupboard has been raided, re-raided, raided again, etc.

With over 5,000 posts I do believe you are the biggest "Honk" on this board. Have a splendid day.

Losing a coaching staff is a difficult transition . Thank God , SS hasn't had to face that in 33 years . We have assistant coaches that have been with program 25 to 30 years. Coach Sherman is coaching the kids now of his earlier years players . I'm watching the grand kids of guys I played with. The #1 Halloween customer for little boys in Sumter , a Raider football player. All little boys want to wear the Black for SSHS.

But, of course you do remember back to 2009 and 2010 when South Sumter went 3-7 and lost to Trinity 44-7 and 2-9 and lost to Trinity 35-0. Any team can have a down year or two. OTC is suffering its first down year. It must have been difficult for you to sit through the Raider's games in those years as it is now difficult for me. However, Howie, there are some schools that never produce a winning team. In fact most schools don't ever produce winning teams. In one respect I do agree with Neutral. We should all go to watch a game just to see the young people play and not to get that upset if the team doesn't win. Most of these kids are giving so much of themselves in practices and in games. They are not out causing trouble or doing substance abuse. We should all be glad for that. I do know that OTC will eventually get better. If not this year then next. The new coach, Sturdivent, has a different philosophy than what has been in the past. I know him and he believes in training young men to be team members as his first priority. There are no pseudo stars on his team. Only contributors. I have high regard for Sturdivent and his assistants that they are building a solid foundation for the future.

With over 5,000 posts I do believe you are the biggest "Honk" on this board.
Well folks with the above post, it appears that two points have been established:
1. Neutral Observer is the biggest honk on FL Varsity.
2. ProSetEye (formerly TCOcalaFan) has no idea what a honk is.

Never easy to watch your team lose regardless of status of strength. Ive seen great years and good years and not so good years. SSHS hasn't been able to have that complete package to win it all . I've had season tickets for 35 years, even though I don't live there. 35 years is nothing compared to some ticket holders. My mother has had hers for 44 years and she isn't at the top. They are actually passed down thru family members to their children. If you want a season ticket you have to get on list when your son hits 7th grade, by the time he is a 10th grader you may have tickets .

Sorry, that's what I meant...my mistake on the Jr.
I knew he was seeking a spot within the diocese...ironically, right before his pops left for the Thunder...sort of was the smoke indicating a fire

I think it was a move by Pops to get him off the payroll. Smart move if you ask me. ProSaintJohn's, is he THE coach or A coach?

How did St. Francis, Gainesville Catholic high school, let him get away? If I am not mistaken, I think he went to school there...but, at the end of the day, Lou Pereira proves his worth once again! Great hire for ol' Lou...he and I were running mates back in his Fernandina Beach days...

Choot mannn, I got the biggest and baddest Honk in the United States of the USA. I had it transferred in from the Bayou, and...

Ridin' on the City of New Orleans Illinois Central Monday morning rail
Fifteen cars and fifteen restless riders
Three conductors and twenty-five sacks of mail
All along the southbound odyssey the train pulls out of Kankakee
And rolls along past houses farms and fields
Passing trains that have no name and freight yards full of old black men
And the graveyards of the rusted automobiles
Good morning, America. How are you?
Say, don't you know me? I'm your native son
I'm the train they call the City of New Orleans
And I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done
Dealin' cards with the old men in the club car
Penny a point, ain't no one keepin' score
Pass the paper bag that holds the bottle
And feel the wheels rumbling 'neath the floor
And the…

So, OTC got their first win of the year last night over Orlando First Academy 35-7. I have to admit, the team has come along way since week 1 and they're starting to play as a team.

Credit to QB Ryan Miller who has been hit pretty good this year for making plays when needed. OTC may be 1-5, but they're 1-0 in district. I thought this was a winnable game for OTC and I'm glad they won.

It had to happen eventually. This team has too many decent players who work very hard in practice to continue losing. First Academy is one of the better 3A teams and has been over the years. So, defeating them 32-7 is not an easy thing considering that they run the tricky Wing-T formation and run it well. Let's see how well OTC fares against CCC next week. That should be a true indication of exactly where they are at this point in the season. If OTC can hang with or even defeat CCC then I would say they are back in stride and could be a threat in the 3A playoffs. Ryan Miller is playing better because his OL is playing better. He needs at least 3 seconds to get his passes off and his OL was not even giving him that up until last night.

First Academy may have been good, but they aren't very good this year. OTC will get run off the field next week. Good news is OTC should win that district with ease, not exactly the SEC west.

Nu'Trelle glad to hear OTC finally won. He had to put on three pairs of sunglasses just to read TCOcalaFan/ProSetEye's report.

Glad to hear of OTC's victory. They were the best 0-5 team I had seen. South Sumter rolled over Tavares . SS had 35-0 at half , 388 yards vs 43 . The 2's had the 3rd and 3rds and freshman had the 4th with running clock . Final 35-14 . Hopefully SS will have their 1 back JT Taylor back for Bishop Moore game.

Glad to hear of OTC's victory. They were the best 0-5 team I had seen. South Sumter rolled over Tavares . SS had 35-0 at half , 388 yards vs 43 . The 2's had the 3rd and 3rds and freshman had the 4th with running clock . Final 35-14 . Hopefully SS will have their 1 back JT Taylor back for Bishop Moore game.

Coach Sturdivent said that it was the first game that OTC had all of their players free from injury. They looked pretty well against a First Academy team that is having a down year. Captains Morgan says OTC will be run off the field against CCC next Friday. I'm hoping that the Celtics put it all together and, at least, play a credible game against CCC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT