ADVERTISEMENT

Silver King

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
how active are the Charlotte football coaches with beating the halls for potential football players, with the kids that attend the Charlotte Tech School (I believe its called CTC?)? I know a young man I think is a 10th grader (he is about 6'-2" - 6'-4" 250lbs), says he is interested in football. I told him we needed for now to get him involved in weight training, but he was unsure how to go about that since he attends CTC? There are some personal circumstances, but all in all I believe he is foundationally a good kid......... just needs some positive male influence in his life. Currently being raised by his grandmother, who I have met and I liked her over-all attitude and approach to taking on the responsibility of raising the grandkids.......let me know and I'll get you his information if something can be done via email?

Last edited:
Personally, I don't know of any situations where any of our three high schools that feed Votech, beat the halls there, because they're busy enough beating the halls at their own school trying to get them interested in sports. And many of those who are there started at one of the high schools, where they had the chance.

Most of those kids in our district ended up there for variety of reasons, and Career path is one of those - they have some great programs. As an example I teach Cuinary I and II, if my students want to make that a career, they have the option of going over to Votech in the afternoons for more advanced study. Our county provides transportation. A number of my kids do that for culinary or switch to nursing.

We also all knew kids in school who were great athletes, but family circumstances or their own choices had them working instead. Most of those kids had the same choice as all incoming 9th graders to play sports, or do extracurricular activities at their regular high schools before going to that program. And trust me - in my classroom and in the hallways, if I could get students who are 6-foot plus in the 200s, to come out, and even half of them panned out - we'd have great line play. Some of them even consider it until they realize what a commitment it is.

The guy you met, did he say he had been enrolled at CHS and goes to Votech during the day, or is he straight Votech? If there have been some issues, that might be the reason he is there full time. Anyway, he needs to ask his principal what the procedures would be.

He was the young man i mentioned a month or two back that was involved with a destruction of a bathroom sink at Charlotte HS, so until I get a chance to speak to him..... Im going to assume the odds are good that this in part may be part of the reason he is there now? When he was telling me about the bathroom incident, he indicated to me it was a accident and he had video evidence to prove that........(the reason he was telling me about it was he was lementing to me, that he had gotten trouble at school and with grandmother over it). While i didnt question him about anything initially, i just listened and let him talk. I immediately to myself wondered why a bunch of guys would just happen to have the recording capability of their phones going when this happened? So when i got home, I began investigating online and came upon the whole fad of school bathoom destruction and recording it to post online. My subsequent conversation with him about this, was basically questioning the kind of friends he hangs out with? That had I been part of the school administration, i would have handled it exactly the same, regardless of his professed innocence and finally his grandmother deserved better of him then to be called to to the school to have to answer for him being a part of that situation
He's from New Jersey originally, but moved here because his mom has some personal issues she is struggling to over-come. The family appears to be very supportive and is doing all they can to be there for the kids.

Talked to him numerous times, and feel he really is a good kid all in all, is taking classes that leads me to believe he has above average intelligence and works to maintain a good grade point average.
His size has always stood out to me, so Ive mentioned sports on a number of ocassions to him.......i dont believe he fully understands the level of commitment it takes, but that's not to say if he had the right kind of positive re-enforcement that you couldnt get a 100% buy-in......just needs a starting point andbis why i asked you about it due in part to him originally being at charlotte hs.

Last edited:
I don't know who he is and couldn't talk about that anyway, if I did. I trust our Adm. As a generalization about these type things occurring at schools around the country, do a little research on TikToc fads.

Wasn't looking for you to know or disclose who he was, was simply providing a bit of background.......because you are the primary advocate of Charlotte hs football in this forum (granted by default), and thought you might be a excellent resource to facilitate with helping out..........Thanks!

Reactions: Silver King
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT