ADVERTISEMENT

Random sports trivia question, leads to a unexpected meeting!

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
I tend to use trivia as a means to create conversation, and today my attempt to create conversation led to having a conversation with a 1966 participant of the #1 versus #2 between Notre Dame and Michigan State. In addition to him showing me as well as trying on his National Championship ring. So a little background this gentleman caught my eye because of what appeared to be wearing a older looking letterman's jacket. It was faded but the green and white coloring with accompanying large green (S), led me to be pretty sure it was a jacket representing Michigan State University. So I asked the older gentleman, how good was his Michigan State football knowledge and he responds by replying with casual ( Oh....... I think it's pretty good all in all). Setting a invitation for me to ask him a question!

So, I ask him when was the last time Michigan State played in a football game where both teams were ranked #1 and # 2, who did Michigan State play and finally who won? The gentleman smiles at me, and says I think I might be able to answer that.......I respond back also smiling by responding back with (You think so?.........). The gentleman now sporting a all out grin along with the woman he is with says, (yeah....... I should since I played in the game.). My jaw literally hit ground, and I come back with a flabbergasted (You are shittin me!) Turns out his name was Dave Techln and the woman he was with was the wife of Tony Conti who also played on the 1966 Michigan State team, both played on the OL. I mentioned to him about his size led me to never figure he played on the OL, so ended up talking about it was a different era for football then...... although Bubba Smith also was on that team and was considered a giant of a man then.........so many greats on that team......Showed me his ring as well as letting me try it on......made my day! I've watched the game on Youtube about a year ago, and it is a classic........

https://sanweb.lib.msu.edu/DMC/tribune/temp/spartanhistory/FootballProgram/gridironnov1966.pdf

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT