ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee High news updates

I saw them at 7 on 7 this summer and they looked very athletic. I did notice the HC was telling everyone where to line up every play. Assistant coaches were just chilling there he was in everyone's business all the time. Super micromanaging instead of letting the kids line up and make corrections afterwards. Problem I've found over the years with micro manager head coaches is it all falls apart when the lights come on. Gotta teach them not tell them.

Young talented skill. Lack some talent up front. Sarasota is losing the recruiting war of the redskins and seminoles those kids are going to Riverview Venice and now with Atkins at Booker some kids are going to migrate back that way. Doesnt our youth program kids want to go to Sarasota. I think Ryals is a good coach both X's O's and character but I just dont know why or whats going on. But Riverview seems to be making a push and could be good for a few years to come. Gagg is officially on campus at BRHS but Sarasota has another young athletic kid that can play. I dont know anyone that was completely sold on Gagg and the father is a nut!

He was up with the varsity most of the year as a Freshman. He got varsity coaching and started for the JV. He is about 6'3 200 right now. Has an outstanding arm but he is just very very young!! Time will tell. He will probably be a three year starter. The last one was Cord Sandberg and those kind of kids don't come around very often!

He was up with the varsity most of the year as a Freshman. He got varsity coaching and started for the JV. He is about 6'3 200 right now. Has an outstanding arm but he is just very very young!! Time will tell. He will probably be a three year starter. The last one was Cord Sandberg and those kind of kids don't come around very often!

I noticed he was at Next Level Athletix working out. Looking forward to see how the kid progresses and if Booth can put him in the right situations to succeed.

Cord as a freshman QB'd the JV to an undefeated season as well as got some late game snaps on the varsity near the end of the Varsity season once the JV season had ended. The JV last season won 2 games and one of those was during the Varsity open week which then saw a number of kids drop down to play in the JV game against SE that week.....which Manatee did in fact win. The Manatee JV offense scored points all season, but it also gave up a ton of points on defense thus a resulting losing season by the JV team. I only got to see Overstreet throw in person once all year, and he does appear to have an arm to make all the throws..............I still have questions about running the spread with Josh Booker being Manatee's primary RB, I don't believe Josh is an ideal spread type running back. The offensive line last year was average at best but had some young guys too. Will be interesting to see if Booth tweaks the offense just a little to better fit the type talent he'll have?

Go Canes Go!

Josh Booker will be an Indian next fall the Sarasota folks are claiming. And the Manatee Q reminds me of the kid that played in north manatee county that went to Miami. Sounds like Manatee county will have some QBs with the Sarasota kid at BRHS Manatee's kid and the kid returning at Southeast

SotaCoach1 said:"Josh Booker will be an Indian next fall the Sarasota folks are claiming."
Intrigued by this bit of rumor, compounded by not really understanding the new transfer rules. Josh is wrestling at Manatee and won the District title at 220lbs this past weekend. Which means he'll probably be wrestling at least another 2 weeks, taking him into March and still being enrolled at Manatee. My initial thoughts of him wrestling was that it bode well for Josh if the intent was to see more of Josh at a linebacker position at Manatee in the fall. I always liked seeing linebackers that also participated in wrestling during the winter! If he in fact intends to play at Venice, is there a cut off date a student must transfer in order to be eligible in the fall to play football?

Go Canes Go!

Not well versed in that rule but from what I can gather you can transfer right up until the first day of practice and perhaps after if accepted by the school

If he in fact intends to play at Venice, is there a cut off date a student must transfer in order to be eligible in the fall to play football?
The rules is still way too strick. Player don't be slaves. They should be aloud to transfer whenever they decide wiff out no notice to nobody nowhere. If a kid want to transfer at halftime, the FHSAA should pay the cabfare to take him to his new team. Then things will finally be right. Nomsayin?

None of the coaches know anything about Booker transfering? There is no talk of it on campus. Like Gatorman said he is in wrestling right now and then he is on to participate in track. That will mean he will be at least at Manatee for the Spring. He could transfer but wouldn't be eligible to play in the spring at Venice. He could transfer during the summer and be eligible at Venice in the Fall. That might be the case? Hey, you dress and play the players that show up for practice! Players that want to be here will be, those who don't can go bye bye!! We will get some and lose some. Buy the way, We have a future stud at RB in JR to be Keyon Fordham. Josh and him split time there last year.

Last edited:
I have been reading the forums for a few weeks but just signed up today. I would be surprised to see Booker at Venice. I have watched him since middle school and that is a bit of a drive. Watched him wrestle his year and looks like he has matured while at Manatee. I will look for him at the track meets soon.
I have also watched Gagg since his days in baseball. Tough spot for him to walk into at Braden River but if he is game he will find a way. Fenwick will help him tremendously and take a lot of pressure off early on.

I don't see Gagg starting at BR but I wish him the best of luck. I don't see Booker leaving Manatee at this point in time but who knows. Manatee plays Braden River this year so that should be interesting. Johnnie Jones is the new defensive coordinator at Manatee so that should be interesting also. The team to beat this year will be Riverview. They are gaining momentum and pulling in some good talent. Sarasota is going to struggle big time this year being that they have to play in a tough district. Booker High School will be about the same as last year with a little more organization in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.

I will agree Riverview is on the up swing no doubts about that but 14+. If any game before the playoffs would have been good last year it would have been Riverview and Venice. I still think Venice would have won but I would have said it would have been within 7 points.
Time will tell for the next year upcoming. I think its closer to a TD either way.

I have to disagree last year RHS could not of played with Venice. Common teams RHS beat manatee by 4. Venice was up 35-0 over Manatee at half. RHS lost to Palm Harbour. Palm Harbour lost to East Lake. Venice was up 55-0 to Eastlake at the half.

I have to disagree last year RHS could not of played with Venice. Common teams RHS beat manatee by 4. Venice was up 35-0 over Manatee at half. RHS lost to Palm Harbour. Palm Harbour lost to East Lake. Venice was up 55-0 to Eastlake at the half.

Manatee defense and hurry up offense was the reason for that quick deficit. That was not expected at all. In fact Manatee was down 14-0 when they ran their 4th offensive play. Booker maybe touched the ball 5-6 times during the game. They tried to throw to catch up quick and didn't work.

Riverview has been the closest game for Venice in the last few years. 2015 score was 21-10. Everyone was handled with the exception on Braden River. The game last year would have been in the Ram Bowl, one of the few away games.

In either case I think the game will be closer than most think. I also think it could go either way. If Riverview does win it will be the first time in many years a Sarasota county school has beaten Venice.

When the other team scores then you go 3 and out. Then the other team scores again. It's 14-0 and only 3 plays were run.

Fla 2014 if Gagg is not the starter at Brhs who do they have?

I am not sure of the other player's name but Gagg and him will have to compete for the starting position. Gagg is a great QB and fits their system well as does the other QB. I'm looking forward to seeing Braden River in action this year.

Gagg gets way too much daddy coaching which gets in the way of the actual coaches coaching. He will probably change schools at least 2 more times unfortunately. It really hurts the kids when parents think they know better than guys who do it for a living and not just for their own kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT