ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee High news updates

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
So Coach Booth hit the recruiting trail early this winter and has reeled in a DT soph talent from Southeast HS, a rising senior DB talent from Palmetto HS. Most recently the HBC at Bradenton Christian HS son, ( a rising senior LB) transferred to Manatee. I'm sure there will be more to report along the way, and as I become aware I'll provide updates.

I figured when the Gerber kid from Bradenton Christian transfer was announced, the hand writing was on the wall that dad's time as the HBC at Bradenton Christian would end and sure enough the Bradenton Hearld announced that yesterday as well. No word on a replacement for the open defensive coordinator position, at Manatee causing my speculation that Booth would bring someone into that position that was already part of the Manatee program to seem more than just a guess.

Mean while Joe Kinnan's journey to locate former Manatee County school superintendent finally ended, when it was announced Mr. Mills has finally been served papers. The school board however denied a request from coach Kinnan for financial reimbursement for legal fees.

My My My how the once mighty have fallen............

Silver King: Manatee's Basketball program has rebounded for what looks like a winning season this year, (1st time in a long long time), primarily on the back however of another transfer, that also plays football...."Go Figure....Right?".... kid by the name of Hooks....

Go Canes Go !

Gatorman, thanks for the update. I wish we'd have gotten to play Manatee and Venice this last season when we had some horses in the stable. We get Venice back early this coming season (They're supposed to be very good) but the cubbard is bare - we graduated 19 starters so it's rebuilding time. Charlotte just closed their enrollment school is over capacity at 2000+,

Port Charlotte on the other hand has dropped to around 1500 and Lemon Bay just built a new school and they're at 1300 - heard the have an entire top floor not being used, county is down 3,000, but we're bursting at the seems, so no move ins for us.

I'm pretty sure the lack of a DC choice has nothing to do with hiring from within, nobody on staff makes much sense. I know they had a local candidate and apparently offered him but it fell through because he doesn't have a teaching certificate and couldn't take the job for the pay.

So Coach Booth hit the recruiting trail early this winter and has reeled in a DT soph talent from Southeast HS, a rising senior DB talent from Palmetto HS. Most recently the HBC at Bradenton Christian HS son, ( a rising senior LB) transferred to Manatee. I'm sure there will be more to report along the way, and as I become aware I'll provide updates.

I figured when the Gerber kid from Bradenton Christian transfer was announced, the hand writing was on the wall that dad's time as the HBC at Bradenton Christian would end and sure enough the Bradenton Hearld announced that yesterday as well. No word on a replacement for the open defensive coordinator position, at Manatee causing my speculation that Booth would bring someone into that position that was already part of the Manatee program to seem more than just a guess.

Mean while Joe Kinnan's journey to locate former Manatee County school superintendent finally ended, when it was announced Mr. Mills has finally been served papers. The school board however denied a request from coach Kinnan for financial reimbursement for legal fees.

My My My how the once mighty have fallen............

Silver King: Manatee's Basketball program has rebounded for what looks like a winning season this year, (1st time in a long long time), primarily on the back however of another transfer, that also plays football...."Go Figure....Right?".... kid by the name of Hooks....

Go Canes Go !

Its funny you say that. We have heard down here that both kids that transferred from the local schools are now not even at MANATEE. The Db from PHS is at LRHS and and DT got sent to Bayshore I believe and both got caught using false locations when they tried to go to Manatee. Not the best "recruiting" if that is what you want to call it. And it sounds like Sota is going to lose QB to River but now parents having second thoughts. Stay tuned

Bradley said no way Gagg starts for them. He's trying to get him there to be a back up the next 2 years. He said they are telling the dad whatever he wants to hear to get Brian there.

Bradley said no way Gagg starts for them. He's trying to get him there to be a back up the next 2 years. He said they are telling the dad whatever he wants to hear to get Brian there.

So "IF" he goes to River who is the starter? That team is very different without that transfer from IMG! Got another confirmation the two transfers to MHS are NOT on their campus and at Bayshore and Lakewood Ranch respectively

SotaCoach1, your right about Collins. He is at LWR. But he plans on coming back to MHS in the fall. As for the other kid from Southeast. He is at MHS right now. Actually I know a teacher that has him in class and comfirmed it. There will be a whole lot more of kids moving around before the start of next season.

SotaCoach1, your right about Collins. He is at LWR. But he plans on coming back to MHS in the fall. As for the other kid from Southeast. He is at MHS right now. Actually I know a teacher that has him in class and comfirmed it. There will be a whole lot more of kids moving around before the start of next season.

Then I stand corrected and will address the source so they are updated for whatever it is worth. Also I agree completely about kid's moving around with the new transfer rule. It will be an interesting couple of years to see how it plays out, where kids go, is it a rich get richer, do they go random places to play earlier and often, or is it all over blown and only the weak minded non committed kids look for the easy way out and those continue to be many of the transfers. I think it will be all of the above because parents are so crazy now they listen to anything and everything except the coach and it will be transfer chaos of sorts

Are your guys going to be pretty good?

Last time I thought we were going to be good it blew up in my face! We really struggled on the defensive side of the ball this past year. We should be much better on defense. Playing a good non-district schedule also which includes Armwood (Kickoff Classic), Lakeland, Venice, Palmetto and Braden River.

That's a very nice schedule twc.

The Venice/Baden River winner will make a deep 7A run. Palmetto returns alot of kids from a team that played a pretty strong schedule. Armwood is always loaded with athletes. Lakeland is Lakeland.

The transfer rules have improved, but they're still too restrictive. We need to have it so the kids can decide to transfer during halftime.

The transfer rules have improved, but they're still too restrictive. We need to have it so the kids can decide to transfer during halftime.
Why not at the end of each down? That way, with each swing in the tide, you could be on the winning side!

Does Palmetto return enough to compete in that district and/or a wild card spot? The BRHS MHS match up should be good. Maybe a rivalry for years to come. Is BRHS getting any transfers? We always hear about Manatee but not much on River. They seem to keep it quiet. Last I heard Gagg is still with the Sailors. Anyone have insight on Rashad West and Southeast and what to expect from them in year two?

Braden River and Clearwater Play week 2... I like that Cross the Bridge Matchup.

BR by 3 TDs! (or more) see Charlotte 2016 and BR is better! Pinellas county teams are too soft and traditionally dont match up well with Manatee Co. teams

Yeah going across the bridge is never easy... But the correct statement for recent years would be Pinellas Teams have not matched up well with "Manatee" I can't tell you the last time a Pinellas team beat Manatee probably early 80's LOL maybe before that. But I have Palmetto lost like 3 games to Pinellas teams in 2 year... Southeast is not what they were and Lakewood Ranch lost to Palm Harbor of all teams.

Braden River however is a really good team... The game was set up to be a challenge for a 6A school looking to fair better in the playoffs... A loss in this new system isn't the worst thing in the world.

So I won't disagree with the loss and potential 3 scores sure its likely but this team will be better coached than most Pinellas teams that have crossed the bridge and they won't be soft... They just may not be good enough though as BR is a excellent team.

Peezy:

Manatee was playing mostly Hillsborough/Polk County teams 79-82 in as far as District games. I do however recall during my high school years and before my HS years during the early 70's playing Pinellas County teams. Manatee's only real successful against Pinellas county during that time was the early to mid 70's when coach Calvin Short was the HBC......coaches Mackie, Plaster, and Harris didn't have any real sustained success against Pinellas county teams during that time. 1983 or 1984 saw Manatee move to a Pinellas county district and I can still remember the 83-0 beat down of Northeast HS at Hawkins Stadium. Seems I also remember Joe showing his backside at one point during that game and kicking a onside kickoff. I believe after the 84 season Pinellas county teams collectively lobbied against playing Manatee from a district standpoint and Manatee, Sarasota Riverview, and Sarasota HS were forced to play in a 3 team district. The 85 season which saw Manatee win its 2nd state title........I sincerely believe had Manatee not survived the Kansas City shootout for the District title, Sarasota Riverview or Sarasota HS could have just as easily won the state title that year, as all 3 were just that good!

Funny thing however after that saw Dunedin HS put together an unbelievable run in 86 and 87 advancing to the title game both years. Guess who Dunedin beat in the 1st round of the playoffs in 86?

Go canes Go![/QUOTE]

Oh it was Manatee? I didn't even know. Of course I was 4 in 86. All though I had brothers and cousins on that team and know all about them I didn't know they beat Manatee... So Dun Dun is probably the last Pinellas team to beat Manatee then.

Dunedin used to matchup with the Riverview's and Sarasota's often up until about 92.

It was a very close game. Manatee had QB issues, wasn't particularly big on the OL like it had been in the previous years. Joe moved a WR to QB for that game to try to take advantage of his speed on the edge.....(wanna say his name was Donnie Waiters), anywho Manatee had to make a stop to get the ball back late in the game for a chance to win and Dunedin pulled off at least 2 - 4th down calls to get a 1st down and keep the ball. Want to say the final score was something like 17-13 or something like that and won at Hawkins Stadium.

Go Canes Go!

The whole wishbone backfield minus the QB was Brother, Cousin, Cousin. on that 86 team

Ty on the run

MY former high school coach (and poster on this board) on the tackle against Manatee I think

He was the guy I sent the 86 state championship game program to and sent him the video of the 87 state title game against Pine Forest HS. Made the drive up to Pensacola for the semi final game.....I think we lost 22-0.....Manatee had an outstanding defense that year but just a so so offense. There was a kid named Harvey that played OG on that Manatee team, found out during the game at Pensacola his dad was my 5th grade teacher. I believe Donahoe was a DL coach at Armwood when I sent him him the program and video. Where is he at now?

Go Canes Go!

Yeah that would be him... After that he was the head coach of Strawberry Crest and then the Head Coach of Freedom High School. He is now coaching at Southeastern University.

Got a text over the weekend from another sarasota guy that said GAGG is on campus at BRHS? is that true

Sota, you involved with Sarasota? Whats up with them? For the last few years people pop in here and say they're getting ready to turn the corner, thought last year they were supposed to be a pretty good team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT