ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 28 Palmetto 26 Final

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
It was a game where the officials had to ask for permission to use the Manatee ice tubs after the game, to soak their sore elbows from all the flags they threw as well as questionable play calling for Manatee was once again a issue. I believe on Palmetto's first TD drive, there were between 7-9 separate penalties called, and it didn't get any better for the rest of the game. It was frustrating to watch #21 for Palmetto pretty much have the Manatee snap count down almost every single play, it was frustrating to watch the Manatee OC call every slow developing play in the Manatee play book......that subsequently fed right into the fast and heavy pressure the Palmetto defense was throwing at the Manatee offense.

I thought Palmetto was fast and a scrappy team, with no true super stars but with several really good players that gave 110%..........I believe getting their HBC back on the sidelines will yield better results for Palmetto as the season progresses.

*Someone at Manatee needs to either paint over the large sign with 2019 season schedule on it with some black paint or update it with the 2020 schedule...................the Manatee athletic director should be embarrassed to have not already done something about that!

Go Canes Go!

I went to their game against Miami Central last year and they really did deserve to win that one. I think they would have won state if they edged out Central

Reactions: gatorman001
Manatee has a very poor AD!! Changes are coming in that department! Both head coaches will be back on the sidelines in two weeks....

Watched the video last night of the game, and some of my perspectives of the game were changed. The Manatee QB while generally playing at a high level almost every game, I thought against Palmetto he forced a number of throws when other options were available. 2 of Palmetto's passing TD's were a direct result of blown coverage at the safety position, that's not to take anything away from Palmetto but it was apparent there was some confusion with coverage on both TD's. I thought the Manatee defense all in all played a pretty good game, there was better intensity I thought with the defense that was missing the first 2 games........! Number 45 for Palmetto made a outstanding play on one the Manatee INT's, number 21 for Palmetto was a major headache for the Manatee offense all night. Palmetto has some real nice talent offensively as well, Palmetto despite its now 2 losses has a pretty darn good team!

Just saw your message twc2499...............The Manatee AD...........I shut up about the whole recruiting situation last summer after having a discussion with her.........I still feel like the whole situation was a major setup, and Shakir was simply a scapegoat for how it was handled by the school board and school administration...........I didn't feel anything Shakir said was any different then what he would say to a group of young kids at a football camp. The AD was apparently on maternity leave, so I backed off on blaming her from a oversight standpoint for allowing what happen. The first time I met the AD however at the Pinellas Park playoff game last year, the Manatee B-ball coach was with us while we talked. I asked him about the upcoming season, and he made a number of statements I felt were defeatist in his attitude. What surprised me more than anything about his statements, was he was saying this all with the AD standing right there next to me. I thought to myself as he spoke, that as a former manager if I had a subordinate speak with the defeatist attitude like the B-ball coach had........I'd immediately start looking for a new coach......and he was talking like this with the AD right there next to him?

She seems like a nice enough lady, but I get the impression however she's more into being politically correct with the power structure within the school system, than doing everything she can to make the Manatee sports program the best it could possibly be. I was disappointed about different things I saw at the stadium Friday night, I thought initially I was just being too critical but when I mentioned what I saw Friday night on the way home to my wife and she indicated she noticed them too......(and she comes to the games simply because she knows how much I like going to them, not because she's a big fan), I had to think maybe there is more to it than me being critical. My vantage point is more from a outside looking in, but that's just a few things that stood out to me......there's more but I'll just leave it there.

One more note: I have more issues with the county AD, than I do with the current Manatee AD..............if there were to be change made I'd like to see it start at the county AD position!

Last edited:
Two losses, four losses; doesn't mean nuthin' not even home field, because the brackets are set.

We should just jump to the playoffs if the games don't mean anything.

Reactions: peezy28
Two losses, four losses; doesn't mean nuthin' not even home field, because the brackets are set.

We should just jump to the playoffs if the games don't mean anything.

Heck, STA hasn't even played a down of football yet, and they're in the playoffs?
Right now I'm looking at a Niceville HS vs Edgewater HS semi-final and a Venice HS vs STA semi-final for 7A.

Haven't looked at 6A to gauge how the FHSAA separated the regions, to see how the semi-finals for each region might work out?

No... your spot on with your observations. The problem is we have an administrator that doesn't want to make any changes because of being close to retirement. Now pressure has been put on that person from the boosters and some very prominent people that are on that club. I think changes are coming! I could tell you more but probably shouldn't on this forum.
As for football....Manatee frustrates me! Lol.....They have a lot of potential! Play calling on offense has been terrible. And not having your head coach on the sidelines doesn't help. He should be back for the Braden River game. Plus the offensive line which had four starters coming back has been a work in progress due to injuries. Hopefully we get back RT Armstrong in a couple of weeks. We should be 5-0 when we play Venice. Venice is very good and will be a major challenge for them. Sarasota this week.....should be a easy win but you never know?

Well...............in as far as the present status of the Football team, I wouldn't deem it a "Hell has forzen over" moment........but I agree completely with everything you wrote! (We haven't always agreed on things in the past.......noimsayin?)

Last spring someone on the Facebook page posted the offensive stats for last year, basically to back slap Jaquez for being the OC last year. Take a look at the offensive stats the year before with Brion in his 1st year as the OC......Brion's offense put up more yards via the rush and pass as well as more points, then the experienced OC Jaquez offense did last year. Like I've said in the past, I liked what I saw in Brion's offense. Don't know what happen between he and Shakir, but its a shame there were issues apparently............I'm all about having more alumni involved with coaching and I really didn't see anything in the way of product that caused me to believe Brion's ability as a OC showed alot of promise! Its like with losing Gulosh as a DL coach.......there's some great talent on the DL, that I just don't believe is being coached up to its potential, that having a guy like Gulosh coaching Im all too sure would be able to bring out!

Take a look at the pics on the facebook page for Manatee football, there's a pic of the guys coming out of the locker room and above the doorway is a lighted sign with a "M" and a hurricane flags to either side of the "M". The flag on the left side is missing. That upset me too, this is Hawkins Stadium at Joe "Freaking" Kinnan field, everything should be top notch and make a major visual statement about Manatee HS Football and you got broken signs in need of repair and signs with last years information on it all over the stadium! I put that squarely at the School AD's feet, maybe it doesn't bother you or others......but if I get an opportunity to speak to her at the Sarasota game this week, you better believe I'll say something to her about it!

Last edited:
FILE UNDER "AS THE WORLD FINALLY GONNA TURN":

With gatorman001 on the case, we is all lookin forward to seein some FOR REAL action at MHS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT