ADVERTISEMENT

Mainland vs St.Edwards

Neutral 0bserver

If you want to know about St. Eds. just envision STA in Fort Lauderdale, only older in tradition and even more firmly ensconced in the local football landscape. If a player in the greater Cleveland metro area is considered a sure-fire D-1 prospect, supporters of aggressive Catholic League HS's such as Lakewood St. Ed's and Cleveland St. Ignacius will pursue him until the end of the Earth.

Of course, no one in the Cleveland area recruits, so we're all supposed to believe that entire hordes of D-1 players all show at places like St. Edward's due to "magic", "cosmic energy" or some other inexplicable force of nature. ROTFL.

This Dan had the misfortune of first sitting on the St Edward's side of the stadium. Seems that St Ed's likes to sit opposite of the larger pressbox side. As the green and gold fans moved in around me, one Cleveland area football fan gave me the "low down" on St Edwards of Lakewood, Ohio. First off, the gentleman and his wife were not big fans of the Catholic religion or St Ed's for that matter. They had attended a local high school game Friday night and read about this match up in the Saturday morning paper. He speculated that of the 85 players dressed for St Ed's only a very few were Lakewood residents. He said most of the team consisted of a few player from here and there including Cleveland and all of it's surrounding little communities. Yearly tuition was around 40K. But ALL did not pay full price. Those parents who paid a percentage helped out with sweat equity. Here's where you have tip your hat to the ingenuity of these religious organizations. Need help parking cars for the bake sale, their you go. Clean up after bingo, check. Drive Debate Team over to next competition, check. Collect for Sunday service, check again. Free labor helps the school's fund raising immensely. Sounds like a win, win for all those involved......Neutral, you mentioned St Ignacius High School ( St Iggy ) of Cleveland. This football season ending game between the two is known as the ( Holy War ). It always sells out and ticket scalpers are their to help out. Hey, does Johnny Wideout's dad still have that pair of 50 yard line tickets ?
17 Neutral 0bserver, Yesterday at 8:48 AM

I would posit that the St. Edwards's, IMG's and Aquinas's of high school football are a microcosm of where the county is headed ... "and the rich are getting richer every day, while the little that the poor man has is taken away ... and you hear what I say, they will fade away ..."

Not sure if Mainland was ever going to stop the St. Ed's offense, but one call against the Mainland team early was very questionable and killed a huge momentum swing. Ed's jumped the confused Buc's 14-0 real quick. Mainland battled back to make it 14-14. But they got a deadball foul after the score. Mainland kicks off on their 25yrd line and scoops up an Ed's fumble and runs the ball down to their 4yrd line. First and goal Mainland to take the lead ? NO. Refs huddle up and rule Mainland player " Ran out of Bounds/ Not Pushed out " and got into the play. Think the call was "Illegal Participation." Don't think I've seen that call much in high school ball. Have heard that video shows Mainland player " Being pushed out of bounds" therefore he can legally return and get in on the play. Whether that effects the outcome can be debated. But at the time of the game when things were heating up for the home team that call was HUGE! Mainland then kickoffs from their 20 or 15 yrd line ( could have been a double foul ). I was so pissed not sure where the ball was kicked. You judge if that one call mattered.... Mainland also kicked off to start the game. They fumbled, we recovered. Player ruled down with no visible ( from my seat ) control of the ball ever established. Jambun, not blaming the ref's. It's all about judgement. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn't. Mainland didn't get a lot up there.

Dan, Mainland is not ready yet for prime time. Nice central Fla team but no, not yet national.. Could have been worse...

Last edited:
Dude don't care! He's in it for post count and to honk for that gloryhole St. Brasco.

Yeah, Druckstick, you ain't no troll. You ain't going to post in here much...... aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.

Hey, I got time. I'll give you undivided attention. Mainland is a regular school, gave that Ho school all it wanted after 1600 miles AND home cooking.

Bottom line, Mainland should have known better. Every time Florida gets invited out, something goes wrong with the logistics. Everytime one of these Ho schools comes to Florida, they want to play a duck.

Y'ALL CALL HERE LOOKING FOR A GAME TO LEGITIMIZE YOURSELVES, BECAUSE YOUVE CORRUPTED THE WEAK ASSED GAME IN YOUR STATE THROUGH ASSEMBLING ALL THE TALENT ON A FEW TEAMS (HO SCHOOLS.) MEANWHILE, SCHOOLS HERE, TRYING TO CREATE A LASTING MEMORY FOR THE KIDS, GET CHEATED OR RIPPED OFF BY THE PRODUCERS. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED, BUT YOU'RE NOT, BECAUSE YOU WILL PROSTITUTE YOURSELVES AND YOUR KIDS IN ORDER TO FEEL LIKE YOU ARE CLOSE TO PLAYING THE LEVEL OF BALL THAT WE PLAY HERE ON A WEEK TO WEEK BASIS. YOU'RE PATHETIC, NEW JERSEY, AND YOUR STATE STINKS LIKE INDUSTRIAL WASTE.

Neutral 0bserver

If you want to know about St. Eds. just envision STA in Fort Lauderdale, only older in tradition and even more firmly ensconced in the local football landscape. If a player in the greater Cleveland metro area is considered a sure-fire D-1 prospect, supporters of aggressive Catholic League HS's such as Lakewood St. Ed's and Cleveland St. Ignacius will pursue him until the end of the Earth.

Of course, no one in the Cleveland area recruits, so we're all supposed to believe that entire hordes of D-1 players all show at places like St. Edward's due to "magic", "cosmic energy" or some other inexplicable force of nature. ROTFL.

This Dan had the misfortune of first sitting on the St Edward's side of the stadium. Seems that St Ed's likes to sit opposite of the larger pressbox side. As the green and gold fans moved in around me, one Cleveland area football fan gave me the "low down" on St Edwards of Lakewood, Ohio. First off, the gentleman and his wife were not big fans of the Catholic religion or St Ed's for that matter. They had attended a local high school game Friday night and read about this match up in the Saturday morning paper. He speculated that of the 85 players dressed for St Ed's only a very few were Lakewood residents. He said most of the team consisted of a few player from here and there including Cleveland and all of it's surrounding little communities. Yearly tuition was around 40K. But ALL did not pay full price. Those parents who paid a percentage helped out with sweat equity. Here's where you have tip your hat to the ingenuity of these religious organizations. Need help parking cars for the bake sale, their you go. Clean up after bingo, check. Drive Debate Team over to next competition, check. Collect for Sunday service, check again. Free labor helps the school's fund raising immensely. Sounds like a win, win for all those involved......Neutral, you mentioned St Ignacius High School ( St Iggy ) of Cleveland. This football season ending game between the two is known as the ( Holy War ). It always sells out and ticket scalpers are their to help out. Hey, does Johnny Wideout's dad still have that pair of 50 yard line tickets ?
17 Neutral 0bserver, Yesterday at 8:48 AM

Dan,

I watched the entire game on the St Edward's live stream. I thought that Mainland did an excellent job against a near professional team. If Mainland had not had two or three inept penalties against them, that were self inflicted, I actually believe they would have won the game. Personal fouls have to be eliminated in a game like this. IMO Mainland gave the game away. St. Edwards didn't win the game as much as Mainland lost it. And, with a QB that was injured, no less. I think that Mainland will be in Orlando this coming November, no doubt.

black pop, you mother has raised a pig, a foul mouthed person a
Dan,

I watched the entire game on the St Edward's live stream. I thought that Mainland did an excellent job against a near professional team. If Mainland had not had two or three inept penalties against them, that were self inflicted, I actually believe they would have won the game. Personal fouls have to be eliminated in a game like this. IMO Mainland gave the game away. St. Edwards didn't win the game as much as Mainland lost it. And, with a QB that was injured, no less. I think that Mainland will be in Orlando this coming November, no doubt.

Reactions: blackpopsicle
Pro Set, "near professional", your kidding/... St Joes Reg of Jersey beat Eds and then lost 28-5 to St Joes of Plila.... I saw Bosco destroy Eds a few years ago 38-7... No, St Eds is very good team but Mainland just stepped out of their league, nothing more.. Another point is that Eds is not always a top team just like St Iggy... The team that Eds lost to, St Joes of Jersey only beat Bosco by 10 and were lucky...

Dan, Mainland is not ready yet for prime time. Nice central Fla team but no, not yet national.. Could have been worse...

How could it have been worse?

It was 35-28 5 minutes into the 4th quarter.

St. Edward kicked a FG, then got a saftey on a bad Mainland snap.

With the game already decided (they were up 10 with a couple minutes left) they tacked on a TD "just because."

If anything it could have been better had Mainland not taken a damn bus for 2 days straight, which I doubt helped their 1st half performance.

Mainland's defensive coaching lost them the game but those boys can score points and lots of them - and they need to fix their stupid penalties, aside from that it was a close game 80% of the way. It only got away from them at the end when St. Edward put the extra TD on to make it look like an easy win to those that only look at the final score.

Not sure if Mainland was ever going to stop the St. Ed's offense, but one call against the Mainland team early was very questionable and killed a huge momentum swing. Ed's jumped the confused Buc's 14-0 real quick. Mainland battled back to make it 14-14. But they got a deadball foul after the score. Mainland kicks off on their 25yrd line and scoops up an Ed's fumble and runs the ball down to their 4yrd line. First and goal Mainland to take the lead ? NO. Refs huddle up and rule Mainland player " Ran out of Bounds/ Not Pushed out " and got into the play. Think the call was "Illegal Participation." Don't think I've seen that call much in high school ball. Have heard that video shows Mainland player " Being pushed out of bounds" therefore he can legally return and get in on the play. Whether that effects the outcome can be debated. But at the time of the game when things were heating up for the home team that call was HUGE! Mainland then kickoffs from their 20 or 15 yrd line ( could have been a double foul ). I was so pissed not sure where the ball was kicked. You judge if that one call mattered.... Mainland also kicked off to start the game. They fumbled, we recovered. Player ruled down with no visible ( from my seat ) control of the ball ever established. Jambun, not blaming the ref's. It's all about judgement. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn't. Mainland didn't get a lot up there.

Sorry about the loss, Dan, but the game did pretty much as I told you I was worried it would.

Mainland SHOULD have been able to crush them, but that defense has no assignment integrity and I'm not sure if they've even been taught assignment football at all. They got burned on easy, easy plays to properly defense - blown assignments, slip screens, and losing their only major threat too many times is what did that defense in. Athletes are everywhere on that team but as with many FL teams, the coaching is average at best.

On offense, Mainland doesn't run anything intricate or creative but they're so fast and athletic that they can put points on any team. Miami Central can slow them down (but can't score) and Carol City can score and can slow them down, though I'm not sure they're ready to navigate a deep playoff run.

Either way, Mainland should be favored to make the title game and win, but those major issues I was hoping could be masked were highlighted pretty heavy by a great coaching staff from Ohio.

I saw a few local Daytona media guys predicting 45-20 wins for Mainland before the game; that kind of naivete was a bad omen to me the second I saw it.

I like the Bucs a lot, but I doubt the staff is capable of correcting the huge flaws St. Edward exposed - and though that likely won't stop them from winning a 6A title, it will stop them from being mentioned as an elite team in the country.

How could it have been worse?

It was 35-28 5 minutes into the 4th quarter.

St. Edward kicked a FG, then got a saftey on a bad Mainland snap.

With the game already decided (they were up 10 with a couple minutes left) they tacked on a TD "just because."

If anything it could have been better had Mainland not taken a damn bus for 2 days straight, which I doubt helped their 1st half performance.

Mainland's defensive coaching lost them the game but those boys can score points and lots of them - and they need to fix their stupid penalties, aside from that it was a close game 80% of the way. It only got away from them at the end when St. Edward put the extra TD on to make it look like an easy win to those that only look at the final score.

Folks ... we'll be right back after this word from our sponsor.

"The season is here. Now the real work begins. Make the most of this season and get a jump on the competition. Take an extra 20% off your order with discount code: OMG123HD6392471S. Offer expires day after tomorrow.

5 man chutes ...

Sorry about the loss, Dan, but the game did pretty much as I told you I was worried it would.

Mainland SHOULD have been able to crush them, but that defense has no assignment integrity and I'm not sure if they've even been taught assignment football at all. They got burned on easy, easy plays to properly defense - blown assignments, slip screens, and losing their only major threat too many times is what did that defense in. Athletes are everywhere on that team but as with many FL teams, the coaching is average at best.

On offense, Mainland doesn't run anything intricate or creative but they're so fast and athletic that they can put points on any team. Miami Central can slow them down (but can't score) and Carol City can score and can slow them down, though I'm not sure they're ready to navigate a deep playoff run.

Either way, Mainland should be favored to make the title game and win, but those major issues I was hoping could be masked were highlighted pretty heavy by a great coaching staff from Ohio.

I saw a few local Daytona media guys predicting 45-20 wins for Mainland before the game; that kind of naivete was a bad omen to me the second I saw it.

I like the Bucs a lot, but I doubt the staff is capable of correcting the huge flaws St. Edward exposed - and though that likely won't stop them from winning a 6A title, it will stop them from being mentioned as an elite team in the country.

That's where you are wrong and have no idea what Mainland football is about. People think that the coaches simply throw a ball out there and say go fetch. The game plan was in place but not executed properly. A few players have some bad habits that we are slowly working them out of. To criticize the coaching staff is ridiculous. Come be around the program for a few weeks and see what goes into the preparation and planning. I have been on a few staffs and there are not many that can top the staff at Mainland High School. Like I said, don't believe it come see for yourself. The criticism is getting old and people really have no clue what's going on. We have some wrinkles to work out but are slowly but surely getting there.

coachhog, dsouth is one of the best Mon AM qb's you will ever see...He also feels Fla HS teams are above reproach.. His commentary has always been replete with comments like, "Mainland should have crushed them" He's the best, "after the fact". This is still HS football, but St Eds is a good team. Discipline !!

Last edited:
Reactions: coachog
Hey man your a coach I get it so am I. Your going to be questioned by fans it's part of the game no point in getting upset.

But I will say that while you likely had your game plan set up but it was not properly executed it's still on us as coaches to get the most out of our players and GET THE to execute our plan as we lay it forth.... So if we are placing blame it's still on us

Just my 2 centa

All season long we've read comments about about Mainland's problems with penalties. If one team is vastly superior to another in terms of size and/or physical ability, then discipline/penalty issues can very often be overcome. But not always.

Mainland was 6-0, but St. Edwards apparently matched-up well enough that Mainland couldn't simply "out-athlete" them. Not to take anything away from St. Eds - they're undoubtedly one of the best HS teams money can buy - but mental errors and lack of proper execution likely spelled disaster for Mainland.

Football was important to Nu'Trelle because when he played coaches didn't ask that players be disciplined, they demanded it. Nu'Trelle grew up with certain guys who had probably never been ordered to do anything until they put on pads for the first time.

Being on a football field changed certain people. They had no other choice. If they wanted to play, if they wanted to be part of the team, they had to do whatever they were told. No matter how much raw athletic ability a player might have had, he still had to demonstrate iron-clad discipline, both in practice and in games.

In that respect, football was a huge positive, especially for guys who had previously lacked direction. And in many, if not most cases, the discipline that was instilled paid a lifetime of dividends.

Good luck to Mainland the rest of the way.

notQuestion, is STA also one of the best teams money can buy??? What about De La Salle, St Zavier , Bishop Gorman, Rummel, BC, Bosco, Curtis in Louisiana, IMG and on and on..... What about that powerhouse at Miami Central a few years ago.. These privates just may have people who are not just good players but have parents that feel the public school system has failed their kids... Funny thing is, had Mainland won, "the best team money can buy"........ would NEVER be mentioned. Only when they win is that mentioned.. i.e, when Deerfield Beach beat STA it was not talked about in any way.. This question was posed to neutral observer who used in a sentence the phrase "best team money could buy".... some did not understand it's context.

Last edited:
Question, is STA also one of the best teams money can buy??? What about De La Salle, St Zavier , Bishop Gorman, Rummel, BC, Bosco, Curtis in Louisiana, IMG and on and on..... What about that powerhouse at Miami Central a few years ago.. These privates just may have people who are not just good players but have parents that feel the public school system has failed their kids... Funny thing is, had Mainland won, "the best team money can buy"........ would NEVER be mentioned. Only when they win is that mentioned.. i.e, when Deerfield Beach beat STA it was not talked about in any way..

WOW. I feel like Jambone or ProSetLie. Is it just me or does this post make NO sense.

That's where you are wrong and have no idea what Mainland football is about. People think that the coaches simply throw a ball out there and say go fetch. The game plan was in place but not executed properly. A few players have some bad habits that we are slowly working them out of. To criticize the coaching staff is ridiculous. Come be around the program for a few weeks and see what goes into the preparation and planning. I have been on a few staffs and there are not many that can top the staff at Mainland High School. Like I said, don't believe it come see for yourself. The criticism is getting old and people really have no clue what's going on. We have some wrinkles to work out but are slowly but surely getting there.

If the game plan in place was not executed properly - then it's still on the coaches.

Your job is to make the kids understand that if they don't play to their assignment and simply try and kill the kid with the ball, they're going to get ripped - and that's exactly what happened.

If the criticism is getting old, that's because you guys aren't getting through to the kids, again that's on the coaches.

If the kids aren't understanding that their bad habits are going to lose them games against top level teams like St. Edward...again, that's what separates St. Edward and Mainland. The Bucs had an athletic advantage at nearly every position, but the St. Edward players understood their game plan far better than the Bucs did - much of that is on the kids, they should at some point get it (unfortunately it sometimes takes a loss to make it settle in), however when a team is always getting hit with stupid penalties and ONLY gets exposed against superior coached teams...that's on the coaches.

You guys very likely had a solid X's and O's plan in place, but the kids, primarily the defense did not execute at all - in fact, they got embarrassed and wrecked by the one kid everyone knew the ball was going to. If they're not capable of "getting it,' then take them off the field in favor of the less athletically gifted kid that will at least be in the right place when the ball is in his assignment area (it's a better option than the kid that runs himself a 4.4 right out of the play) - that's a coaching issue; on and on this goes.

I like Mainland as much as any other FL team, but it's the same story every year, different kids, same issues. That's what's truly tiresome.

Reactions: peezy28
Earth to Drummer, Earth to Drummer, look there isn't much interest on the national scene on this web site. After 6 wks haven't you noticed that ? Since 'Canes left no one talks about STA. Since the Miami crew left no one is talking Central or any other S.FL power. Tallahassee guys left so we hear nothing. But what we do hear is 1A, 3A, panhandle, Jax, now Columbia High, Mainland, Apopka, Osceola, DP, Manatee, Charlotte, Cocoa, Tampa, OTC, Plant, Polk County, Ft Pierce, Vero, etc. N.J., Ohio,Texas, Georgia, California, etc. get nothing unless one of theirs plays one of ours (above) ^^^ Pick a Florida team, a Florida area, and some guys "might" be civil. Talk Bosco, NJ privates ,BG, DLS, Trinity, and no one gives a $hit. This is the Florida minor league. DJ's board is for your kind of talk. Understand yet ?

Reactions: peezy28
Earth to Drummer, Earth to Drummer, look there isn't much interest on the national scene on this web site. After 6 wks haven't you noticed that ?... Pick a Florida team, a Florida area, and some guys "might" be civil. ...
NOPE.

And quit crying and tattling when you get crushed, just for trying to be funny. That's a rule, too. Be funny. Take that weak junk somewhere else.

And BTW, since this is access points instruction for DAs from NJ, Miami Central is a public school.

And brush your teeth. Breath is kicking all the way through cyberspace.

To all other posters, stop messaging me with what was in the post. Here are the highlights:
"your mom raised a pig"

my brother... snake in a radiator fan..my mom...like monkey butter...lets stay off moms... got off your mom...apology for getting personal... no way, look at that skank...DOXYCYCLINE... plop,plop, fizz, fizz.

Hurt my feelings, Mom.

Dan, I always noticed that... We will change that in order to give this board context and expansion in terms of where Fla teams, "really are" nationally.. However,if this, as you say, is the minor league s, o.k. Why excited then when Mainland plays and OOS team.. No, leave it the minor leagues. If that's what you like, who am I. See, I thought I could learn more about Fl teams here, but in reality, this is in fact the minor leagues and you guys teach me nothing.. All the best to locals.

Drummer 1. Learn how to post... I get tired of deleting your duplicate posts.
2. Yep folk here only care about the national games when they are playing one of their teams... If its IMG vs De La Salle no one on here cares.
3. Also you are getting a bit out of hand here lately... lets take a chill pill on you for a bit.. come back in a week when you can add value and not just troll folks. I don't mind some of your topics but you tend to be quite annoying to most others on here.

Drummer 1. Learn how to post... I get tired of deleting your duplicate posts.
2. Yep folk here only care about the national games when they are playing one of their teams... If its IMG vs De La Salle no one on here cares.
3. Also you are getting a bit out of hand here lately... lets take a chill pill on you for a bit.. come back in a week when you can add value and not just troll folks. I don't mind some of your topics but you tend to be quite annoying to most others on here.

Earth to Drummer, Earth to Drummer, look there isn't much interest on the national scene on this web site. After 6 wks haven't you noticed that ? Since 'Canes left no one talks about STA. Since the Miami crew left no one is talking Central or any other S.FL power. Tallahassee guys left so we hear nothing. But what we do hear is 1A, 3A, panhandle, Jax, now Columbia High, Mainland, Apopka, Osceola, DP, Manatee, Charlotte, Cocoa, Tampa, OTC, Plant, Polk County, Ft Pierce, Vero, etc. N.J., Ohio,Texas, Georgia, California, etc. get nothing unless one of theirs plays one of ours (above) ^^^ Pick a Florida team, a Florida area, and some guys "might" be civil. Talk Bosco, NJ privates ,BG, DLS, Trinity, and no one gives a $hit. This is the Florida minor league. DJ's board is for your kind of talk. Understand yet ?

What your calling minor league has a name; IT'S CALLED HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. The IMG's, Bosco's, DLS, etc. isn't high school football. They are more related to Canadian Junior League than anything else.

Last edited:
What your calling minor league has a name; IT'S CALLED HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. The IMG's, Bosco's, DLS, etc. isn't high school football. The are more related to Canadian Junior League than anything else.

Hwy17, your careless.... I was repeating what Dan said, read his prior post........ Tell Dan...........You should read the board in full before making yourself look foolish at best,plain stupid at worst ? Which are you ?

Hwy17, your careless.... I was repeating what Dan said, read his prior post........ Tell Dan...........You should read the board in full before making yourself look foolish at best,plain stupid at worst ? Which are you ?

I'm someone who has seen a hell of a lot more high school football, and good high school football at that, than you!

Don't ban him. It's what he wants so he can brag about it. How about just stop responding to him?
He's been brewed, blued and tattooed (Edited for Moms.) But he wont tell anyone that, he'll just say,"They kicked me out of Fla Varsity cause I was too raw." Knowing full well he got crushed, and flagged the posts.

No pride or talent. He needs to recruit posting help. Like his Junior League team.

Hyw, that's good and I 'am glad you have. Now, just learn to read and tell Dan that you did not like what HE SAID...

If you would scroll by up you would notice that it was Dan I quoted and replied too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT