ADVERTISEMENT

Kickoff Classic - Manatee 30 IMG Academy (White) 21 FINAL

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
While Venice was playing the IMG Varsity and getting beat soundly, Manatee had its kickoff classic against the IMG's glorified "junior Varsity" team. From a talent standpoint IMG White wasn't a team without talent, just isn't star studded top to bottom like its IMG Varsity team. Thought Manatee lost a bit of intensity for a portion of the 2nd half, and while IMG played hard the entire game it also played a rather undisciplined game and it cost them at times with more than a few untimely penalties. I thought from a QB battle standpoint, Squitieri played a much better game and displayed some nice athletism.........in fact I'm surprised some read option isn't just naturally part of his game? The game in general reminded me of Manatee's game against Bloomingdale last year, which Manatee lost 36-14. Manatee wasn't that much worse than Bloomingdale last year, it was just one of those games, where mistakes Manatee made led to a loss of team intensity and an a eventual game loss. The IMG game last night, Manatee was up 20-0 in the 3rd QT but allowed IMG to score 21 consecutive points to pull ahead 21-20. This was where last year you'd see Manatee last year throw in the proverbial towel, last night Manatee battled through that bit of adversity and scored the game's last 10 points for a 30-21 win. Definitely a positive sign heading into the 2022 regular season!

I had to leave after half, but the Tarpons under a new HC, and several new position coaches won 35-10 (I believe). New Q has an arm, we dropped a couple of TD passes, early. Not sure about Barron Collier that appears to be rebuilding too.

This is the toughest Tarpon schedule for quite some time, I can remember. They are also young. So my expectations are this being a building year for next. We play Dunbar, PC, Manatee, FM, NFM, Lehigh, Braden River, fortunately we catch a couple of them early.

Ventured out to see the Tampa Jefferson Dragons at Gaither Cowboys. It was the most lopsided Kickoff Classic I’ve ever witnessed. After a 45 minute lightning delay, Gaither relentlessly trounced a young and timid Jefferson team.

Multiple touchdown drives of 1 & 2 plays finished by home run passes and runs had the Cowboys up 35-0 by the end of the 1st quarter. Don’t quote me on that because I was starting to ponder when to leave at this point. I had driven almost an hour from Valrico to West Tampa so I didn’t want to jump right back in the car (I snuck out before halftime).

I guess the only real news is Gaither seems to have a real offense to combine with their usually very stingy defense.

But then again. . . it was a Kickoff Classic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver King
Hey gatorman001! My good friend and Hall of Fame Weightlifting Coach, Rich Lansky, has recently returned to Manatee High. Great move by the Hurricanes!

Reactions: gatorman001
Hey gatorman001! My good friend and Hall of Fame Weightlifting Coach, Rich Lansky, has recently returned to Manatee High. Great move by the Hurricanes!
I had been very critical of the state of the weightlifting program, not long after Shakir had been fired. Based on conversations had had with someone close to the program, the weightlifting program was basically non-existing. Lansky as I am recalling the conversation...... was at Manatee, but had left and went to Braden River. I was informed a week or two ago he had returned and was now working with Josh Phillips to get the program back to where it once was.

Reactions: MarkECannon
Gatorman001, you would not be able to find a better weightlifting coach. Even more you would not be able to find a better person than Rich Lansky. He is The Godfather of Olympic Lifting in the state of Florida. People Rich trained are coaching all over this state. He has a mind like a steel trap. He is one of the best multitaskers I have ever met.

Reactions: gatorman001
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT