ADVERTISEMENT

"Freedom Swim" at Punta Gorda, come join us 'Merica!

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
We've had a community swim of the Peace River for the past 25 years as an Independence Day Celebration - a couple of my Tarpon buddies started this in 1991. I was away on sailing for the first two, but started making it in 1993. This will be my 21st. My youngest made it all the way across with me when he was only 6. It's a blast; several hundred people in the water, lots of boats if you need help, a rest or a beverage. Grab a noodle and come on. We just dog paddle and drink beer. Most of the big sharks are occupied out in Mother Nature's Smorgasbord in Boca Grande Pass called Tarpon Season. The gators don't like that much salt in the water (Hopefully none are out that way, because red-eyed gators are mean as hell).

Starts at the Tamiami Trail Bridge from the Charlotte Harbor side to the Punta Gorda side. Starts at 2pm for the last of the flood tide then slack and ebb. This should put you right at Fisherman's Village 1.3 miles across. If anyone wants to make it, hit me up and you can swim with me and my sons.

Reactions: Wavebb
Cool event SK. I would consider giving it a shot if not for my detached retina. Swimming is on the list of things not to do. Enjoy brother... WAVE OUT!

Come on Choctaw_fan. Just go swim the damn ditch with SK. You is always gonna do somtin but never follow thru. You're retired. You missed a historic meeting of us oldtimers in Ruskin years ago with Blue2. Silver King will keep you from getting in trouble so just do it. Get out of that ghetto they call Naples. lol. WAVE OUT!

But, the article says "if you're not a strong swimmer, don't attempt this."

The article also doesn't mention its swimsuit optional.

We usually get across in around 90 minutes. Me and my youngest swim the whole thing as I have for all 20 previous swims. My other two switch off running the boat and swimming/visiting their friends scattered all over the swarm of swimmers.

About five years ago, this 78 year old guy flew right up to us. I got to chatting asking where he learned to swim like that, he said, "Pitcairn Island." I asked, "From Mutiny of the Bounty fame?" that's right, he replied. I asked if he was related to Fletcher Christian; He said that was his great grandfather. We bid farewell and he jetted off like a Polynesian ocean swimmer.

Anyway Choc, "Swimmers" wear fins, assorted PFDs, noodles (My favorite because you can keep a hand free for beer) and inner tubes. Hat and sun glasses are good to have.

The high school swim kids get across in around 30 minutes. My teammate and classmate Mike Haymans, the originator, is always last to finish, making sure everyone has made it. He's taken as long as 5 hours.

Last edited:
Remind us again next year. Hopefully, I'll be in better shape, have some fins to use, and will race you across the river.

I used to do float trips down Missouri rivers with a cooler of beer but I've never tried swimming while drinking a cold one!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT