ADVERTISEMENT

DURANT COUGARS 34 NEWSOME WOLVES 33

MarkECannon

Oct 9, 2010
We live in Valrico which is the Durant district. I chose this game because it would require very little driving since I was driving to Tallahassee Saturday & back to Valrico Sunday.

Newsome and Durant are physically located about 5 miles from each other but there is a nature preserve separating them. The drive from one school to the next is 11 miles.

The game was very competitive. Durant threw the ball all over the yard. Their QB had a rubber arm with good accuracy. He isn’t a running QB but he rolled out well, had good pocket presence and kept his eyes downfield. Newsome fought back with a running game in a Wing-T style offense that got stronger as the game went on.

Here is my version of what happened at the end of the game. Newsome stopped Durant at around Durant’s 20 yard line with 1:50 left. Newsome was up 20-19. Durant had burned all their timeouts. I figured that Newsome would do what it took to run the clock out, game over and a Newsome victory. I get up and began walking toward the exit.. I stopped near the opposite end zone to watch the next play that confirmed to me I had made the right decision to head to the car. The Wolves ran the ball up the middle for a 1st down to around the 10. Perfect time to start lining up in the victory formation. I continued my walk and stopped to make sure Newsome would run out the clock. To my amazement they ran the ball resulting in a TD. The score was now 27-19 with a minute left. Should I turn around or should I confidently continue my walk to the car? I decided to continue to my car and just as I opened my car door Durant fans reacted like they had made a good play but certainly not a TD. I decided to get into my car and drove away headed for home.

Halfway home I was stopped at a red light. I decided to check the final score on my phone only to find out Durant had tied the score with a TD & 2-point conversion. The game is going to OT. Good move Mark! I arrived home, went inside and sat on the couch. I checked the score update and saw that Durant had won 34-33.

I’m sure Newsome’s coaches will be grinding over this one for a long time. Not sure what they were thinking.

Last edited:
So who is coming out of that 8A district? Will they both make the playoffs or will Sumner have a say in it?

In the other local 8a district, Plant is in the lead, but still has to play Alonso. Steinbrenner got stuck in the Pinellas district. They likely need to beat Plant to advance to the playoffs since they blew a big lead against East Lake a few weeks back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT