ADVERTISEMENT

Cover Bands and real life stories related to tunes from the 70s, 80s, 90s etc.........

Another cover. Peezy if this is a little much go ahead and delete it. I wouldn’t want to offend jambun.

SK, with the exception of Jimi's Anthem, the first two is what I like in a cover. Sound's very much like the original great song but equals or surpasses it at times with a twist.

Reactions: Silver King
Gatorman001 when I was in high school Luther got the ladies groovin and Teddy Pendergrass took them over the finish line.
True story: While still working the midnight shift at the USPS, before I was promoted into Mail Acceptance.....my Ipod was what helped me make through the night. I had close to 10,000 tunes on it, covering every genre. Little African American gal (from Springfield, MA) would sometimes use it whenever I wasn't in a position to listen to it, due to me being around equipment that made using a safety issue. She had borrowed it one night, and in the morning before my shift ended was bringing it back to me. This particular morning she asked me something I wasn't prepared for, as she handed it back to me...... (What you doing with all that Keith Sweat music, and all his panty dropping tunes?) I laughed out loud, and repeated back to her with questioning inflection in my voice -(Panty dropping music, what do you mean?) I was totally unfamiliar with Mr. Sweats music being deemed - A aphrodisiac for Panty dropping- I had always just enjoyed his tunes for its R&B groove value.

So she explained and teased me about it......she also would always breakout in the tune -hot child in the city- , when ever I came into her work area.....anywho your post reminded me of that and I thought I would share that story!

Last edited:
Every time I hear Keith Sweat sing I can’t help but think of Cedric the Entertainer. Cedric had a bit where he said Sweat’s voice had the same effect as a mosquito buzzing your ear. He said Sweat’s music caused him to keep making a swatting motion near his ears.

Reactions: gatorman001
I used the analogical phrase “finish line” and quite frankly felt a little guilty this being a high school football message board. Now we are using the phrase that directly states what is occurring, “panty dropping”.

Peezy, it might be time to shut down this thread .

• Love
Reactions: Dan in Daytona
Michael McDonald did a couple of Motown albums, covering Motown hits. I liked them both, but I had another African American friend (Terry Powers) that would tell me flat out -Man that chit aint Motown! -, Terry and many others taught me alot about the south and black culture, I wouldn't have ever learned or been exposed to, had I spent my entire life in Bradenton. Terry liked the women, when we worked on the window I was still pretty new to georgia and Athens at that point. he came up to me one day and asked - Big man, what you gonna do when one of those sweet thangs from the University gives you her number? I guess I was still pretty naive at that point about a lot of things, because I just looked at him in disbelief and said -Terry, that kind of thing doesn't really happen - Terry at that point reaches down one of his drawers and unlocks it and opens it and motions for me to look inside. It was filled with slips of paper with number's on each one! he just chuckled at my open mouth and stunned face, with my coming face to face with a new life reality!

Reactions: Dan in Daytona
Michael McDonald did a couple of Motown albums, covering Motown hits. I liked them both, but I had another African American friend (Terry Powers) that would tell me flat out -Man that chit aint Motown! -, Terry and many others taught me alot about the south and black culture, I wouldn't have ever learned or been exposed to, had I spent my entire life in Bradenton. Terry liked the women, when we worked on the window I was still pretty new to georgia and Athens at that point. he came up to me one day and asked - Big man, what you gonna do when one of those sweet thangs from the University gives you her number? I guess I was still pretty naive at that point about a lot of things, because I just looked at him in disbelief and said -Terry, that kind of thing doesn't really happen - Terry at that point reaches down one of his drawers and unlocks it and opens it and motions for me to look inside. It was filled with slips of paper with number's on each one! he just chuckled at my open mouth and stunned face, with my coming face to face with a new life reality!
My wife loved Michael McDonalds voice back in the day.....all sista's did.

Reactions: MarkECannon
Gatorman001, I don’t know what part of Bradenton you grew up in (Holmes Beach, Anna Maria, Cortez?). Bradenton’s culture has been changing but it’s traditional culture is heavily Southern. I went to St. Stephens (1975-78). Hugh Miller, former Hurricane QB, was a classmate and good friend. My first wife was from East Bradenton. She lived a stone’s throw from Tropicana. I lived and worked near 43rd and Cortez for 5 years in the early 80’s. Father-in-law was from Palmetto and Mother-in-law was from Bradenton. They graduated from Lincoln High. Wife was Manatee High 1981. I could go on but I’ll stop there.

Bradenton was mostly a town of sophisticated rednecks, working class rednecks and mostly poor African-Americans. The real rednecks went to Southeast and rode to school on tractors.

All this to say, Gatorman001, you grew up in the South.

Dan grew up in the South too.

I grew up in Sarasota from 10 years old on. Not so much the South (plenty of rednecks though). When I crossed the county line from Sarasota to Manatee County I immediately felt like I was entering a time warp going backwards 20 years.

Last edited:
Teddy was the man, in college the brothers on the team turned me on to Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes. They'd rent a downstairs party room in Dodge City on Wyatt Earp Blvd. on occasion and throw a party. They always invited a couple of us token (cool) white guys. A couple of our cheerleader sisters would pull me out and attempt to teach me to line dance. Those were lots of fun. g-man, my wife is from Springfield.

Gatorman001, I don’t know what part of Bradenton you grew up in (Holmes Beach, Anna Maria, Cortez?). Bradenton’s culture has been changing but it’s traditional culture is heavily Southern. I went to St. Stephens (1975-78). Hugh Miller, former Hurricane QB, was a classmate and good friend. My first wife was from East Bradenton. She lived a stone’s throw from Tropicana. I lived and worked near 43rd and Cortez for 5 years in the early 80’s. Father-in-law was from Palmetto and Mother-in-law was from Bradenton. They graduated from Lincoln High. Wife was Manatee High 1981. I could go on but I’ll stop there.

Bradenton was mostly a town of sophisticated rednecks, working class rednecks and mostly poor African-Americans. The real rednecks went to Southeast and rode to school on tractors.

All this to say, Gatorman001, you grew up in the South.

Dan grew up in the South too.

I grew up in Sarasota from 10 years old on. Not so much the South (plenty of rednecks though). When I crossed the county line from Sarasota to Manatee County I immediately felt like I was entering a time warp going backwards 20 years.
I grew up in west bradenton, if you knew Hugh Miller you may have also known Tom Broome, 1st head coach for the Manatee county youth football league ( Later called the Broncos), and his daughterz Mizti and Rhonda Broome....(Both were cheerleaders at Manatee High). My best friend was Jon Crawford he and Hugh played football and baseball together. As far as considering anything about coastal Florida "Southern" , i guess I generally felt much like you.....except for thinking the redneck were located in east Bradenton head east out to Myakka....Coastal wise I always felt the originals were more Cracker type....you know Trigger Mora and/or his sons Shanne and Danny? Trigger lived off of cortez rd and fished for a living.
In as far as Southern goes, it took one week in Georgia to suddenly realize that being south of all the traditional states, Florida was in no way repersentative of the true South. My 1st wife by the way was a Rye relative, I spent lots of time out at the homestead before it was burned down in the late 80's.....have to continue this later

You are correct in that Manatee County is not the Deep South. I used my term “sophisticated rednecks” for Bradentonians that lived on or near Riverview Blvd. Last names like Blaylock or Deschamps & some I can’t recall. Doctors named Teahan and Newhall(not rednecks). You can call them Crackers but they almost all swim in the same lake. For instance, they may have been very successful professionally, live in a mansion on the Manatee River and don’t go looking to get drunk and get into a fight at a bar in Oneco but deep down they are still a redneck. The term cracker can mean something respectable to some and another term for redneck.

Obviously Bradenton has plenty of good people. My oldest son was born there.

I played for the Sarasota Ringling Redskins. Our first game was against the Manatee Broncos at Hawkins Stadium(we won by the way).

When I left St.Stephens, in late 1977 actually, I lost contact with many of the people I knew that went to Manatee so I don’t remember knowing those people you mentioned. I do remember Prince Matt.

Hugh Miller went on to play football at Richmond. Last I heard he has done very well in business. His family owned the Pier Restaurant which was a big deal back then. Prince Matt played at FSU. Saw him once when I was up there. Not sure if he played much.

I was delievered by Dr Newhall, Mom told me not too long ago that he had recently passed away. Had tried to qork it out to have him deliver my kids but he was never on-call when the ex went into labor. I went to several of the initial bronco/redskin games. I remember one that hugh miller, frank sklinski, prince matt and others pay in at the ball field off of tuttle or beneva in sarasota that became very heated...some of the parents from the broncos rushed the field at one point as i recalled. My friend Jon Crawford was supposed to have a schollarship to go FSU with Prince Matt. His senior year however he injured his knee and continued to play. The game against sarasota that year was at Sarasota and the field was a mud bowl. He made it through that game but the following week he messed it up big time against Lakeland......FSU pulled the schollarship and he ended up going to the Air Force Academy instead. His mom and dad owned a bar in oneco called the Waterhole.
Prince made a huge fumble recovery against Nebraska to preserve a victory, as FSU under Bobby Bowden won his 1st big game against a top 10 team.....his son (same name),played at Manatee 2010 -2012 i believe were the years

Yeah, if you lived on Riverview Blvd you were considered well off. I knew some folks that lived there, in fact my 1st time hearing steely dan, was at a party hosted by some kids that attended Bradenton Christain. The kids parents were related to anthony rossi who owned Tropicana

Silver my 2nd wife was from a little town in CT off of I-91 called Broadbrook, it was right next to Enfield......is why I know so much about New England.

The Manatee Game would be the most obvious, but I'm available for any Tarpon Home Games except Oct 21st (my 50th Reunion) and our HOF game, which I have to check on.

Reactions: gatorman001
I was delievered by Dr Newhall, Mom told me not too long ago that he had recently passed away. Had tried to qork it out to have him deliver my kids but he was never on-call when the ex went into labor. I went to several of the initial bronco/redskin games. I remember one that hugh miller, frank sklinski, prince matt and others pay in at the ball field off of tuttle or beneva in sarasota that became very heated...some of the parents from the broncos rushed the field at one point as i recalled. My friend Jon Crawford was supposed to have a schollarship to go FSU with Prince Matt. His senior year however he injured his knee and continued to play. The game against sarasota that year was at Sarasota and the field was a mud bowl. He made it through that game but the following week he messed it up big time against Lakeland......FSU pulled the schollarship and he ended up going to the Air Force Academy instead. His mom and dad owned a bar in oneco called the Waterhole.
Prince made a huge fumble recovery against Nebraska to preserve a victory, as FSU under Bobby Bowden won his 1st big game against a top 10 team.....his son (same name),played at Manatee 2010 -2012 i believe were the years

Yeah, if you lived on Riverview Blvd you were considered well off. I knew some folks that lived there, in fact my 1st time hearing steely dan, was at a party hosted by some kids that attended Bradenton Christain. The kids parents were related to anthony rossi who owned Tropicana

Silver my 2nd wife was from a little town in CT off of I-91 called Broadbrook, it was right next to Enfield......is why I know so much about New England.
have to make a correction, it was actually Paul Purwoski(sp?) a Sarasota Sailor alum, that made the fumble recovery against Nebraska and not Prince Matt. Prince had made the transition from running back to linebacker at that point but wasn't involved in that play as I had originally thought. here is a team pic of the 1974 Manatee Mustangs, my friend Jon Crawford was #65, John McPadden is #22, I believe Prince Matt was #13
f2d2b8_e2d37bf382d8492999df6b93d6a8adc4.jpg

Don henley has kept this one off of youtube for a long long time, but just recently posted it to his own youtube page. I can't think of a more appropriate song, after the last 2 1/2 years. Thank goodness football is just a few weeks away, for a 4-5 month distraction from the coming new 87,000 new IRS agents, that are being hired due in part to their ability to use deadly force.......(at least that was what the IRS posted in its job posting). From the 1995 Album (Actual Miles)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT