ADVERTISEMENT

Comparing Downtown Athens, GA to Downtown Punta Gorda, FL

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
I have been here in Punta Gorda, FL just a little over 6 months, and while I know from a discovery standpoint there remains much yet for me to learn about the general area. I've already begun to note differences that remind me daily how much I missed Florida over the last 26+ years.

When I first arrived in Georgia I would describe Georgia like this.....There is Atlanta and then the rest of Georgia. To me anything beyond the reaches of Atlanta, GA, amounts to nothing more than rolling rural hills in almost every direction, More cities than I could have imagined show the devastation that resulted from the NAFTA trade agreement, in as far as the negative impact it had on the textile industry in those cities and with its residents economically! As far as in Athens, Ga where I moved and stayed for 8 years initially, if not for the University of Georgia the town offered nothing other then a easy walking distance proximity from the University campus, to several city blocks of a bar and music scene made note worthy primarily because REM and the B-52's had gotten their start there (Kind of a downtown Nashville-lite wannabe situation). The town during football season becomes a an area of anything inside the Athens by-pass that you must avoid at all costs for all home games, as the town occupancy more than doubles during home game weekends, with roads woefully incapable of offering anything other than bottleneck traffic in any direction you try go. Other than that about the only thing I found note worthy was the similar decline in population and traffic during the summer months when the students head home, like you'd see in Florida with its seasonal winter residents.

to be continued.....................

Go Canes Go!

I'll be watching - did you celebrate St Paddy's Day at Punta Gorda's Celtic Ray? Voted a few years ago the 2nd Best Irish Pub in America to Celebrate St Patrick's Day. I did.

Last edited:
I'll be watching - did you celebrate St Paddy's Day at Punat Gorda's Celtic Ray? Voted a few years ago the 2nd Best Irish Pub in America to Celebrate St Patrick's Day. I did.

There were members of the community we live in, that talked about going there for the reasons you mentioned, but because of the virus issues and I don't drink we decided against going and instead we did the harbor walk....to explore some....(normally we walk the south and northern span of the bridge that crosses the peace river on 41). During our walk Angie spotted a stinger-ray with a 4 to 4 1/2 foot wing span moving along the seawall....that was pretty cool to see so close! You should have said something, would have been an opportunity to at least stop by long enough to introduce you to my wife as well as finally meet you!

Go Canes Go

The Cownose rays will soon get flowing around the bridge, big Black Drum, Cobia, Tarpon, Dolphin, all sorts of stuff. I need to get back walking it. Still waiting for the critique, you're finding cool things to do on your own. Driven out to Ponce DeLeon Park (PGI), Gilchrist Park (PG), Tiki Bar, Top of the Wyvern Hotel, or Englweood Beach to watch sunset?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT