ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte 31-28 Port Charlotte

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Watched this from home on computer because the Pirates only sold 500 tickets and they were gone - this game usually holds 5-7,000. Thankfully the Port Charlotte High TV Production team ran the game live on a feed to Youtube. So, I was listening to their pre-game music on that, and heard a Rap song over David Bowie’s “Under Pressure” - I though, "interesting sign". As has been the trend, the Pirates looked like they'd overwhelm the Tarpons taking the lead for the 6th straight game and playing very well the fist half in this series (They won last year's meeting).

Tarpons didn’t lead this one until the last 2.5 seconds after hitting a 28 yd FG ending an onslaught of scoring 17 points in the last 8 minutes of the game. And I believe this is the 3rd straight, down-at-half, come-from-behind victory for the Tarpons at Pirate Cove; as I recall down by 17 (3 at half) in 2016, down by 14 in 2018, and down by 13 tonight.

Talented Pirates QB is leading the state in TD passes (17 I think), got another tonight. He’s a 2 year starter, and beat us more by running last year, but threw more this year. We won by responding to keep it from a blow-out, making D adjustments, some big stops, two blocked FGs, then our QB hitting some long passes to and running (he had 192 yds rushing and over 200 passing) and beating defenders to the corner of the end-zone a few times.

Congrats to Tarpon Head Coach Wade Taylor notching a win in his first PC series as a HC. Pirate HC, Jordan Ingman got his first his win in the series his first year against the Tarps, too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT