ADVERTISEMENT

Myron Charles, Port Charlotte DT

Funny you should ask about him, as I almost posted about him on a Gator message board last week about him but decided not to as interest had shifted to other 2025 talent. My thoughts right off the cuff, is the 4* rating is a bit premature and I felt it important to see how he's evaluated during the summer at camps where is all to sure to see better talent. His hudl flim of his Junior season is filled with clips of him going against inferior talent. The clips against Manatee he was up against a Sophmore that was just terrible and was finally replaced by moving a DE to his position after the 1st Riverview game, The clips against Charlotte, Silver posted several times how the OL was devastated by injuries last year. The clips against SE was against a team that was winless and finally against Naples, I wanna say Port Charlotte gave up over 60 points and 400 yards rushing and Charles had only 4 tackles. My feeling based on what I saw is he takes a lot of plays off.....thus why I wanted to see more from camp evaluations that will come this summer.

To give a bit of prespective, Manatee's 2 DT had 47 and 48 total tackles each playing 1 less game and one had 21 TFL, and the DE (currenty a 3*), had 53 total tackles with 16 TFL's.....Charles sound like a guy dominating the competition?

Last edited:
Mark,

Know you're a FSU fan, and thought you might be interested in this. I posted at the beginning of last season of a clip of kid that played for Buford HS in GA. I worked with his Mom in the Marketing Department. The clip I posted was of a couple of plays from the ST Francis game which Buford won. He's a TE listed at 6'5" and while his listed weight is 215lbs, I want to say from the pics I've seen the last 2 weekends he now looks every bit of 225-230. He was offered 2 weeks ago by Georgia Tech and took a un-official to Penn St this past weekend and was offered while he was there too.

My reason for mentioning all this to you, is I know he's been on at least 2 un-officials to FSU and Im pretty sure he's been offered. Not rated yet, but will be a senior next year. I watched his Junior hudl tape and man oh man! I love his physicality, he's blocking animal and extremely athletic running and catching passes. Here's his hudl clip

Last edited:
As far as Charles goes there is genuine interest from Florida, FSU and Miami. Supposedly the Gators are very high on him, FSU has not recruited well recently from the high school ranks at DT. The rumor is other schools are using their longtime DT coach’s (Odell Haggins) age as a negative telling recruits he is about to retire. He is 59 years old. According to the former Flavarsity moderator, Michael Langston, the Noles are looking to add 2-3 DT’s for their 2025 recruiting class. Myron Charles is being listed as one of their top prospects.

Concerning Hayden Bradley I will look into the Noles recruitment of him. FSU has been stockpiling TE’s recently so they are looking to only add 1-2 for the 2025. I haven’t seen anything on him yet.

FSU has been left at the alter on commitment day by Travis Hunter(2021) and KJ Bolden(2023) both of whom are from Gwinnett County in Georgia. Famously Hunter spurned the Noles to play for Deion at Jackson State. Of course he later followed Coach Sanders to Colorado. Bolden left a bad taste in people’s minds at FSU by flipping to Georgia on signing day. Apparently he told FSU coaches he was signing with them and did not even call them to tell of his change of mind. They found out by watching him announcing on TV.

By the way gatormann, your detailed knowledge of teams and players is to be commended. You and Darterblue2 amaze me. We could put you two together doing a talk show on Florida high school football that would be second to none. Throw in Larry Bluestein, the creator of this site, and it would be, God help me but I’m going to use that word anyway, amazing.

Concerning Hayden Bradley I will look into the Noles recruitment of him. FSU has been stockpiling TE’s recently so they are looking to only add 1-2 for the 2025. I haven’t seen anything on him yet.

FSU has been left at the alter on commitment day by Travis Hunter(2021) and KJ Bolden(2023) both of whom are from Gwinnett County in Georgia. Famously Hunter spurned the Noles to play for Deion at Jackson State. Of course he later followed Coach Sanders to Colorado. Bolden left a bad taste in people’s minds at FSU by flipping to Georgia on signing day. Apparently he told FSU coaches he was signing with them and did not even call them to tell of his change of mind. They found out by watching him announcing on TV.

As far as Charles goes there is genuine interest from Florida, FSU and Miami. Supposedly the Gators are very high on him, FSU has not recruited well recently from the high school ranks at DT. The rumor is other schools are using their longtime DT coach’s (Odell Haggins) age as a negative telling recruits he is about to retire. He is 59 years old. According to the former Flavarsity moderator, Michael Langston, the Noles are looking to add 2-3 DT’s for their 2025 recruiting class. Myron Charles is being listed as one of their top prospects.
Haggins has been true blue to FSU for a good number of years, the game now with the addition of NIL is pushing a good number of coaches out of the profession or into the waiting arms of the NFL...(I'll comment on that more later).

I saw Charles play against Manatee, that had perhaps one of its worst OL in a long long time last year, and wasnt impressed. I watched his hudl clip of his junior year and realized what I was watching, were clips against very inferior competition, and is when I decided to go look at his stats both from a cumlative season wise and by game standpoint. Port Charlotte's 3 losses last year saw him with 1 total tackle against Bishop Verot, 2 total tackles against Manatee, and 5 total tackles against Naples. I expected number one better over-all stats and then against the 3 better teams he faced he doesn't hardly show up...save the Naples game a team that runs the ball 90-95% of the time. That's not definitive I understand but it caused me to wonder about his over-all ranking at this point and feeling it is more than likely a case where he's been over-rank early in the recruitiing process.....is why because of his measurables I felt we'd have a better feel where he's at, by seeing him in camps facing off agianst the type of talent he'd be seeing at the next level.

One last thing D Robinson (signed with Texas initially, got a release and then signed with the Gators) from Jones HS was a 4* DT and he had almost 3 times the number of total tackles as Charles last year. The 3 Manatee players I provided stats for are all 3* DL players and all had better stats than Charles as well last season......like I said Im more in th lets wait and see what comes of his camp evaluations as well as his senior season.

Last edited:
Regarding Hayden Bradley, Mom just before he went into middle school sold the house she had in Jackson County, (he would have attended Jefferson HS and played with Sammy Brown"nations best LB last year and signed with Clemson" at Jefferson had she not moved)....and bought a home to ensure he went to Buford HS. Hayden's also a standout baseball player at Buford. Mom and just about everyone else in Georgia is a Dawg fan......so I've been surprised with her updates on Hayden being about everything but UGA? I haven't talked to her directly in a bit, so Im not in the know like I would have been if I were still working.....just reading between the lines with what she sends out via social media to her friends.

As far as getting jilted at the altar, NIL has changed everything.....looked what happen to UGA with Dylon Raiola..(also from Buford HS) last year at the last second......it happening to alot of teams now. The college game is in a state of change and Im not certain the over-all vialbilty of the NCAA is all that certain either? Ruiz down in Miami has created a cluster situation down there......UT is looking at some very serious infraction charges, but Im getting the feeling they may fight back and bring suit against the NCAA over this whole NIL situation and what looks like selective charges for UT but ignoring what appears to be going nationwide.

Kinda reminds me why the area I worked in when we found outselves under the federal rules financially of SOX. Much wasnt known at that point on what was going to be enfrced or how, and I as usual got into with OIG for a audit done at one of my offices where I had findings regarding legabilty of a signature on a financial document. The document in addition to requiring a signature required you to also print the name. I thought it absurd I was getting findings over this and cited a BME newsletter that supported my argument. I was told in response the the article I was citing was a non-citable source. which again was absurd because I had recieved instructions from HQ that in as far as SOX was concerned, this newsletter was REQUIRED READING.......but that whole situation reminds of what's going on with NIL and how still convoluted(sp?) NIL rules and regulations are at this point.....SOX initially was much the same way for me

Last edited:
By the way gatormann, your detailed knowledge of teams and players is to be commended. You and Darterblue2 amaze me. We could put you two together doing a talk show on Florida high school football that would be second to none. Throw in Larry Bluestein, the creator of this site, and it would be, God help me but I’m going to use that word anyway, amazing.
I only comment on what I feel Im knowledgable about, there are many that keep up with it way better than I do!

He's pretty good, not dominant yet. And I say that (as gatorman noted) based on the competition. The Pirates blew out some very mediocre teams and got blown out by the two best teams they faced - so its hard to judge how he does against a few D-1 caliber O-Lineman.

The kid has another year to develop into something pretty special. And the schools recruiting him see that.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorman001
He's pretty good, not dominant yet. And I say that (as gatorman noted) based on the competition. The Pirates blew out some very mediocre teams and got blown out by the two best teams they faced - so its hard to judge how he does against a few D-1 caliber O-Lineman.

The kid has another year to develop into something pretty special. And the schools recruiting him see that.
I believe my over-all evaluation still holds true, as even with his 247 composite rating you see a steady drop from a initial .9505 to its current .9393 and a steady ranking drop from a initial 115 to a current 148 in less than 1 year. Camp evaluations this summer as well as performance with his upcoming senior season will determine much. Need to see some over-all dominance with his play, that is equally visible in film and his stats throughout the season regardless the opponent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver King
I guess the rating services use strength of schedule too, or the fact that SW and Suncoast can always trot out the skill players but have never been known for producing OL.

I remember we had an OT who had all the tools, size, reach and was moderately athletic. I remember telling him he needed to be completely dominating the type of players he was facing that season because, in a year, he would be going against guys as big as he was but who were athletic enough to dunk a basketball.

One thing I look for in OL beyond footwork and over-all balance, particularly when you see a kid up against kids he is superior in size and strength is how plays start to finish each play......is he establishing himself as alpha, I personally like my OL mean and nasty until the whistle blows!

As far as Charles goes, I saw a kid that for his size and athletic ability wasnt a noticeable force on defense most of the time. That a bit of a concern for me, and is why I felt his 4* rating was a bit premature in as far as the 2025 recruiting process goes.

I remember watching that video you shared when you played in that college bowl game, you fired off the ball every time and instead of attacking physically you seemed to always go low to take your opponents feet out from under them. You later admitted something about that team having a All-American LB, that you just couldnt match up to physically...so it made perfect sense what I was seeing.

Reactions: MarkECannon
Impressed you remembered that. They moved me to guard that year, but the three previous years I was the smallest starting OT in the entire NAIA 190-195. My buddy was the biggest 6'7" 285 (Huge in the pre "Refrigerator" Perry Days - athletic, and was All American). He graduated and made the last cut with KC - he would have been great if the West Coast offense had made its presence in 1975, but told me all the other OL were All Big 8 or Big 10 AAs). They moved my guard over to run the quick toss (Couple of lightning fast Belle Glade backs), and me into his spot. I was maybe 200 my Sr year. My buddies at Bethel said their scouting report the year before said, "RT is a snake, plays the entire game 18-inches off the ground." But there were some great big Farm Boy DTs back then in the KCAC - very unwise to try to entertain them in their wheelhouse - even though you had to do it once in a while to keep em guessing. So many times running a FB dive, my RG would post up the LB, and I'd get into the DT's legs before he came out of his stance - he would just be trying to push off the ground as the back ran by him. Four of us played college ball from my Tarpon OL (We had two 1,000 yd backs), including Burton Lawless (TE & one of FHSAA's Top 100 High School Players, and one was Small college AA). In college four of us started all four years on that OL. We got after it, and flew down field, something I learned in high school. We blocked for four different 1,000 yard backs: A HB who played 7-man football in Western Kansas, a Jersey boy who filtered down from Rutgers, the Belle Glad guys who told me abut running rabbits in the cane fields 35 years before ESPN did a story in it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT