ADVERTISEMENT

1A, 2A & 3A State Title Games in Tallahassee

MarkECannon

Oct 9, 2010
The 3 smallest classes are playing their state championships Thursday 2A, Friday 3A and Saturday 1A in Tallahassee. I would go but I’m spending this weekend reintroducing myself to my wife since I’ve been away so much due to the football season.

Since last year all classes played in the same week in Tallahassee it gave me a chance to see the 1A championship. I try to go to a 1A game each season. The small towns where the game is the biggest event that Friday night. This year I saw the Fort White Warriors play at the Lafayette Hornets in Mayo. Lafayette is the alma mater of former Florida Gator QB Kerwin “The Throwin Mayoan” Bell who lead the Hornets to the 1981 1A State Championship.

This year in 1A it’s the Madison County Cowboys vs Hawthorne Hornets. Hawthorne upset Madison County in the semifinals last year.

Trivia question: One of the greatest musicians the US has ever produced grew up in Madison County before going off to school. Who is this?

The 2A game is Jacksonville Trinity Christian vs Champagnat Catholic. I admit I know the least about 2A than any other class. I saw JTC twice in previous years when they were winning 3A titles.

The heavyweight battle will take place in the 3A title game with Berkeley Prep vs Chaminade-Madonna. Plenty of D1 talent will be on both sides of the ball. I’m ashamed to say I did not see Berkeley Prep this year even though I live in the Tampa area. I attended their playoff game at Lakeland Christian last year. Berkeley Prep gained some national attention earlier this year by traveling to Louisiana to whip Arch Manning’s team on ESPNU. Most experts think Chaminade will whip Berkeley. Chaminade is considered one of the best teams in the state.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorman001
Did you hear about the proposal to the AD committee that will calculate school numbers for district assignments on a new formula based on the number of incoming freshman plus a weighted number of 3 for transfers? Think it is an attempt to slow up the free agency era. Our friend from Hardee sent it to me yesterday.

It looks interesting and workable.

A friend called me about possible changes that would eliminate districts and just have regions. He did not mention the transfer proposal. IMO the horse is out of the barn with transfers. For competitions sake I’d like to see something happen. Maybe it could work but I don’t see denying students from transferring to another school. Is it going to affect private schools as well?

Hey Silver King ! I thought you would jump all over the trivia question in the original post.

Jacksonville Trinity Christian Conquerors defeat the Champagnat Catholic Lions (Hialeah) Lions 41-23 for the 2A state title.

Ok. The answer to the trivia question is

RAY CHARLES

He lived from infancy until the age of 7 in Greenville, Florida which is in Madison County.

Damn I was scanning for teams, missed it. That's a good one. I even remember watching the movie about him, I forgot (CTE no doubt) so couldn't have answered anyway!!

Reactions: MarkECannon
The Laz Index had Chaminade-Madonna beating Berkeley Prep by 18 in tonight’s 3A state championship. Final score Chaminade 21-0.

Reactions: Silver King
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT