ADVERTISEMENT

Who else does Midnight Madness?

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Tarps took field at 12:01am today for the first day of pads.

This is the 3rd year the Fish have done this. Coach Binky makes it a lot of fun for the guys. Even get a pretty good turnout in the stands.

Like it, but putting on the pads for the 1st time to me would normally mean.......contact. Dont know if i'd want guys hitting for the 1st time at midnight?????

Go Canes Go!

If you can hit between 2 and 5pm during the week, from 7-10pm game night, you can probably hit from Midnight to 2, don't you think?

I like the concept of kicking off the season by having a midnight madness practice, but because of the natural risks associated to fatigue that come from the lack of sleep at that hour. I'd be more inclined to refrain from conducting such a practice in pads and maybe more so as a initial practice to open the season and have the team not in pads to lower the risk of injury.

What are the effects of fatigue and their relationship to lack of sleep?

Because fatigue cannot be "measured", it is difficult to separate the effects of long working hours or lack of sleep to any changes in accident or injury rates.

However, studies report the effects of fatigue as:

• reduced decision making ability,
  • reduced ability to do complex planning,
  • reduced communication skills,
  • reduced productivity / performance,
  • reduced attention and vigilance,
  • reduced ability to handle stress on the job,
  • reduced reaction time - both in speed and thought,
  • loss of memory or the ability to recall details,
  • failure to respond to changes in surroundings or information provided,
  • unable to stay awake (e.g., falling asleep while operating machinery or driving a vehicle),
  • increased tendency for risk-taking,
  • increased forgetfulness,
  • increased errors in judgement,
  • increased sick time, absenteeism, rate of turnover,
  • increased medical costs, and
  • increased accident rates.
Go Canes Go!

I see your concern gatorman, but you could weigh that risk against two other things coaches worry about: heat and lightening in daytime, were absent.

They got to sleep in Friday (no school) and had the entire next day to sleep and recuperate.

Your stats could similarly caution those who started Saturday after the last Friday night of summer vacation. I'll be a lot of high school football players were up way past midnight and then had to get up before they normally would on a summer day as teams want to get in their work before the heat of the day.

Anyway, no injuries yet in the three they've done, so knock on wood.

What about the risk of contracting the Zika virus. For that reason, I would not have wanted to be there as a player or a spectator.

OK apparently this was an awful idea. I'll try to get them to stop it before something really bad happens like:

Alibaba of ISIS showing up

One of the presidio meteors falls on the practice

A rabid raccoon bites one of them

Someone gets a concussion

Rich folks over in Punta Gorda Isles complain about the noise after a big hit

Wavebb up in the stands, dressed like Neutral, stealing signals

Wave was scouting Miami Central. SWFL too dangerous to be out at midnight. WAVE OUT!

How do we just let stuff like this slide by. Great response SK.
I guess everyone forgets the 1990 football season, when games were played almost the entire season on Friday and Saturday afternoons, until the weather turned too cool for mosquitos to be out and about because of the fear of them spreading Encephalitis.
Those were the Tommie Frazier years at Manatee and I remember missing a few games because I couldn't get off during the day to see the games, when they were played on a Friday afternoon.........But you all can poo poo the whole mosquito thing, but I've already wondered to myself if that might be enforced once again this season with the whole zika thing moving into Miami......

Disease Scare Has Floridians Taking Cover : Health: Encephalitis, borne by mosquitoes, cancels evening outings. The first frost has cooled some of the alarm.
October 30, 1990|
MIAMI — A tiny mosquito that carries a potentially fatal disease has disrupted evening activities and thrown a scare into millions of people throughout much of Florida in recent months.

Since August, 68 people have been infected and three have died from St. Louis encephalitis in Florida's worst outbreak of the insect-borne disease in 13 years. The three deaths occurred within the last three weeks among residents of Central Florida who were 58 or older, state health officials said.

pixel.gif

Encephalitis has been found in 23 of Florida's 67 counties, from the north-central part of the state to just south of Miami.

While panic would be too strong a word to describe reaction to the outbreak, alarm is not. In much of the state, traditional Friday night high school football games have been shifted to afternoons. Makers of insect repellents have waged special advertising campaigns and stepped up shipments to Florida. Motorists who stop at Florida welcome centers get an advisory on the disease.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
What about moving games to 3:00 pm in 1997 because of an issue with mosquitoes?

The three deaths occurred within the last three weeks among residents of Central Florida who were 58 or older, state health officials said.Go Canes Go!

Hey now, we're not Immokalee; I think we have teenagers with pretty healthy immune systems. By the way there were 13 Alligator attacks in Florida in 1990 with three deaths...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT