ADVERTISEMENT

Which coaches are rethinking their schedules for next year?

Football941

Feb 23, 2017
With the season coming to an end, which coaches are rethinking how they will schedule games in the future?
Not every team has the luxury of teams wanting to play them. This works in both ways.
Some teams avoid the powerhouse perennial winning teams because they cant compete with them. Other teams are on the bottom and teams with winning records don't want to put them on the schedule.
With the new points system do contracts still exist for teams? Used to be if we schedule you a home game we will return to play you next year. Is that gone now?

Charlotte won't change

The FHSAA billed this system being about strength of schedule, but I don't understand how a team can schedule only two teams with winning records, lose to both, and still get in. There must be an abundence of sub-500 teams out there in that gene pool for this to happen.

Looking at some of the teams getting into the playoffs is now a numbers game.
If you cant win the district or think its out of your grasp scheduling now becomes important.
I see a few teams getting into the playoffs with an average of around 35 or so.

Play ten games vs cat 4 teams will get you that average. Lose one of those and you are in trouble.

Play a softer schedule and sprinkle in an ok team and you could get in.

Play a very tough schedule and lose you will have no issues with a Thanksgiving Day meal at home.

Booker needs to soften their schedule up like Southeast did. Booker should not be playing Clearwater Central Catholic or Braden River. At least not at this point in time. I think Southeast should plays 2 out of these 3 teams (Palmetto, Manatee, Braden River." I would also like St. Stephens to play a public school from the area, possibly Bayshore, Lemon Bay, Cardinal Mooney, Lakewood Ranch just to see how they would fare against better competition.

Booker needs to soften their schedule up like Southeast did. Booker should not be playing Clearwater Central Catholic or Braden River. At least not at this point in time. I think Southeast should plays 2 out of these 3 teams (Palmetto, Manatee, Braden River." I would also like St. Stephens to play a public school from the area, possibly Bayshore, Lemon Bay, Cardinal Mooney, Lakewood Ranch just to see how they would fare against better competition.

Each team has to evaluate what they have and make decisions based off of how many points can this net me in the end.
Some need a harder schedule and like you stated some maybe need a few easier wins.

I wonder if Charlotte got the game in with Venice and lost if that would have made any difference.

I didn't do the math but since Venice this year is a Cat 1 team 38 points up for grab. 3 bonus points for making the playoffs.

So have the sports guys at newspapers around the state.
The system is new and complex. If kept, it will take a couple years before all get used to it. The only effective way, IMHO is to create a spreadsheet that you update each week.

The system is new and complex. If kept, it will take a couple years before all get used to it. The only effective way, IMHO is to create a spreadsheet that you update each week.

Darter that is what I did and would occasionally send the FHSAA their mistakes for 1 Classification/Region. My excel sheet wasn't perfect, but it did the job. What people aren't understanding is that just because you win or lose, you have points from the 9 other games you played affecting your total point totals.

Darter that is what I did and would occasionally send the FHSAA their mistakes for 1 Classification/Region. My excel sheet wasn't perfect, but it did the job. What people aren't understanding is that just because you win or lose, you have points from the 9 other games you played affecting your total point totals.
Exactly. Your points average each week is influenced both by the game you played that week, and by games played before, since the teams you already played will move up or down among the four categories as they win or lose other games each week.

Frankly, one problem I have is that it is very easy to make mistakes because of the number of teams effecting your points each week. Thus, it is important for each school to have a competent, responsible individual track this information on the school's behalf. I would not just rely on others to get this right, as this could cost the team a playoff spot due to human error.

Reactions: Dan in Daytona
Exactly. Your points average each week is influenced both by the game you played that week, and by games played before, since the teams you already played will move up or down among the four categories as they win or lose other games each week.

Frankly, one problem I have is that it is very easy to make mistakes because of the number of teams effecting your points each week. Thus, it is important for each school to have a competent, responsible individual track this information on the school's behalf. I would not just rely on others to get this right, as this could cost the team a playoff spot due to human error.
100% Darter. I said this same thing earlier. EVERY TEAM NEEDS A NUMBERS GUY. An advocate to lookout for your team's best interest. Don't depend on others to get it right.

Assistant coaches in need will now include math majors and spreadsheet designers.

After the season concludes I wonder if the FHSSA will go back to the coaches and get feedback ?

Reactions: Dan in Daytona
It is current year. That is why every week your average changes not just based on the win or loss for that week, but also based on the performance of teams you previously played as they move up or down the category scale.

You do get bonus points at the beginning of the season (which are factored into the calculations) for playing teams that made the playoffs in the prior year (strength of schedule bonus points to begin the season).

It is current year. That is why every week your average changes not just based on the win or loss for that week, but also based on the performance of teams you previously played as they move up or down the category scale.

You do get bonus points at the beginning of the season (which are factored into the calculations) for playing teams that made the playoffs in the prior year (strength of schedule bonus points to begin the season).
Ok let me recalculate everything because I forgot about the competitive points a team receives

You are probably missing the bonus points earned to begin the year based on Hardee's schedule. These would have been based on the prior year's performance of the teams scheduled. So, Hardee would have begun the season with some number of bonus points (let's say 11 for argument's sake) those 11 points would have been divided by 10 and the result added to Hardee's points total, in this example 1.1 to 34 equals 35.1

Yea sorry just reread it again and realized it was current… I just went through Hardee’s and fhsaa points don’t make sense or I’m missing something… you are given points for only wins or losses depending how you opponents records end up being… if these are the only points given them the final result should only have whole numbers since we all play ten games… I calculated Hardee’s total to be 340 divided by 10 equals 34… where do they come up with 35.56 when the only points given are;

Cat 1 win 50 & loss 35
Cat 2 win 45 & loss 30
And so on……… what did I miss?

Nevermind I’m not done calculating there are competitive points
It is divided by the amount of games you play. Play 8, divide by 8. Play 9, divide by 9. Rain outs, hurricanes, etc, can change totals.

So have the sports guys at newspapers around the state.

I am a numbers guy (as well as excel/access guru)... those sportswriters for news papers are letters guys... Don't trust them... Trust Peezy... I may market, copyright and sell my model to all the publications next year then you guys can get some accurate stuff.

Reactions: Silver King
I am a numbers guy (as well as excel/access guru)... those sportswriters for news papers are letters guys... Don't trust them... Trust Peezy... I may market, copyright and sell my model to all the publications next year then you guys can get some accurate stuff.

Peezy, I offered my services at the beginning of the football season, nobody, including the FHSAA wanted them. I told Frank to send my e-mail to those coaches out there that need constant updates. I work cheap, I just need wings, pitchers, and singles for my helpers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT