ADVERTISEMENT

What the heck is going on in Ft Meyers

That's just horrible and will bump it up; last year it was the 4th most dangerous city per-capita in the US. Press conference on WINK scheduled for 10:30

Too early to tell what this was about but a little history; in the 1980s when Crack Cocaine epidemic launched, Ft Myers was one of the early cooking/distribution centers - a National Public Radio story back then told how fast it was growing and how dealers from Tampa and Sarasota could double their money just picking it up in Ft Myers for distributers. That grew that empire, and I'm guessing much of the murders are gang/turf war related that reaches back to a robust drug trade reaching back 40 years.

It's fairly localized violence in a community with a mentality of not snitching. No one talks and they have a hard time solving murders - retaliation keeps the numbers on the rise.

Man things can turn ugly quick, My niece just graduated from the police academy in Fort Myers and starts work there next month. I wish she would choose another profession i worry about her safety.

River, God Bless her, first of all wanting to get in the profession the way things are, but thankfully we have people willing to serve the rest of us. My son is a Firefighter/Paramedic and they're talking about bulletproof vests and helmets for them.

IMO this is primarily drug/turf related. No cops shot up recently. The last Lee County officer that died was run over by a vehicle in 2006. There have been no deaths this century to date from gunfire, but four died from gunfire from 1972-1983 (go to link below). The Zombi-con shooting last year and now this expands it, but again its targeted.

https://www.odmp.org/agency/2105-lee-county-sheriffs-office-florida

Reactions: Wavebb
The problem now is I don't know what part of Ft Myers is safe anymore. I was warned not to live in Lehigh Acres but I hear of less crime there than in Ft Myers now. Further north is looking more desirable all the time.

Not much happens down in Naples does it Choc? We've actually had a Police Officer killed in the line of duty in Charlotte three years ago, responding to a domestic dispute.

Actually, it does but doesn't make the national news. There were two people found dead of gunshot wounds down in East Naples last week. The big issue is we never hear whether someone was arrested for the crime. I guess if you hide it, it didn't really happen.

East Naples had always been Immokalee to me. I think of traditional Naples; more of an affluent, retirement village on Tamiami Trail. The beach part of Naples and Marco Island, the playground of the wealthy.

Then again Florida, since the recession, has had a huge change in socioeconomic make up with lots of northerners having economic issues moving back to stay with retired parents, or others moving here because of a lower cost of living which makes it more transient. Also, lots of illegals that came for jobs during the summer of the Hurricanes in 2004 and rebuilding.

Yes to all. And, sadly, the barriers for the poor are worse than what I saw in the deep south where they still flew the confederate flag and thought they won the war. The rich need them to work the menial jobs but they don't want to provide housing. I read this morning about a private group buying up all the homes along the Gordon River. This area was built in the 60's for the middle class. Next thing you know, all those homes will be torn down and replaced with mansions. Not my favorite place to live!

River, God Bless her, first of all wanting to get in the profession the way things are, but thankfully we have people willing to serve the rest of us. My son is a Firefighter/Paramedic and they're talking about bulletproof vests and helmets for them.

IMO this is primarily drug/turf related. No cops shot up recently. The last Lee County officer that died was run over by a vehicle in 2006. There have been no deaths this century to date from gunfire, but four died from gunfire from 1972-1983 (go to link below). The Zombi-con shooting last year and now this expands it, but again its targeted.

https://www.odmp.org/agency/2105-lee-county-sheriffs-office-florida
You got it right SK. Our star running back from 2014 was shot but not seriously injured. Major gang issue. WAVE OUT!

Yeah, tragic that this stuff goes on, and Choc, it's not only the South. The Great Society was the proper thing for an enlightened society to do in the mid 1960s. I remember driving out to Kansas for my visit in the spring of 1972, driving through Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi and seeing crumbling wood shacks with no windows and horrible poverty - I couldn't believe it was America. That changed by the time I was out of grad school. It's just no one saw the unintended consequences deep into the future. Some claim it's a form of government control that keeps people dependent on the government, down and with little help. It's coming to roost now.

The past 8 years alone has been going downhill, period. The Society we are seeing today and this generation we are seeing a generation of misfits and criminals. There are only TWO people to blame, Father and Mother. But the biggest problem is the lacking of a father in a child's life, period. There are more kids today with both parents the home than there were just 10 years ago and the lack of fatherly companion in the home, having a broken home, will cause a child to have a broken life the rest of their life. Now, I am not saying this will happen to every single child in the home but 98% of them will be broken the rest of their life unless they can have a fatherly companion in their life. This is what is wrong with society today. If you look in countries where homes are NOT broken and where there is a father and mother in the home you don't see the problems that we face in this country everyday. Just 16 years ago, it was nowhere as bad as it is today, nowhere as bad. Heck, just 9 years ago it wasn't as bad. Now, does it start at the top and trickle down like SK says? Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't but I do know FAMILY is THE NUMBER ONE KILLER in AMERICA today. Whenever a woman has 6 kids by six different men how does she expect those kids to grow up and have a respectful life and live right?

Reactions: riverrat1961
Amen!

I thought for sure you were going to name the Obamas as the two people to blame. That's what all the politicians down here are doing.

Absence of a father is the problem but the mother having to work two or three jobs and leaving the kids at home alone is a result of that. I also agree that having kids by different fathers leads to a disfunctional family. The worst part is none of the fathers are paying any support. Most are probably dead.

You can also say that prior generations did not teach their child how to work on a marriage. Divorce was the easy way out. If I were to give advice to a 20 something, I would tell them to find out if their partner's parents are divorced. It's a pattern that tends to run in families. Also, if a son was raised without a father, he won't feel it's his responsibility to stay and raise his own children. And they thought generations being raised on welfare was the problem!

Reactions: anon_00zx5879k0jmw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT