ADVERTISEMENT

What happens to Urban Meyer Next week?

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
One amazing story, and on the heels of the Tressel situation, remember he was the HC that used to cast disbarring remarks at other schools like Miami about their wrong doings, and how Ohio State always did the right thing?

The implications here are the type things allowed to go on under the veil of winning (at UF and OSU). You're kidding yourself if you think it doesn't happen at other Top 10 programs.

Does the Maryland situation give the Ohio State investigators "Urban's actions didn't kill anybody" an out?

Everybody had an opinion on Joe Paterno kicking it upstairs - let me hear from you guys (Although a few Manatee guys flip-flopped when a couple years later, a "report type incident" happened in their program).

Inquiring Minds Want To Know...Nomsayin' Neut, I think I know where you'll be on this.

Hey did Peezy get adducted by aliens?

https://www.newsweek.com/urban-meyer-coach-ohio-state-sex-scandal-1079296

Does the Maryland situation give the Ohio State investigators "Urban's actions didn't kill anybody" an out?
In the last article I read, OSU's prez told reporters that "the investigation will be finished when the investigation is finished." In other words, there's no 14 day deadline to meet.

Meyer will remain on paid suspension until a decision is reached. have no knowledge as to whether or not Meyer violated the rules and/or conditions of his contract, but if he did I would expect OSU to fire him.

Do I care one way or the other? Not in the least.

Should your boss be held accountable if you went home every night and beat your wife? Should he go to jail or lose his job if he didn't report you? If he did and he was wrong, he could be sued for millions.

That's this situation in a nutshell. Believe me, I have no sympathy for Urban Meyer. But, I find holding others responsible for an individual's actions to be a line society should not cross. Prosecute the individual, not his/her associates.

One amazing story, and on the heels of the Tressel situation, remember he was the HC that used to cast disbarring remarks at other schools like Miami about their wrong doings, and how Ohio State always did the right thing?

The implications here are the type things allowed to go on under the veil of winning (at UF and OSU). You're kidding yourself if you think it doesn't happen at other Top 10 programs.

Everybody had an opinion on Joe Paterno kicking it upstairs - let me hear from you guys (Although a few Manatee guys flip-flopped when a couple years later, a "report type incident" happened in their program).

Inquiring Minds Want To Know...Nomsayin' Neut, I think I know where you'll be on this.

Hey did Peezy get adducted by aliens?

https://www.newsweek.com/urban-meyer-coach-ohio-state-sex-scandal-1079296

I got adbudcted by 2 little girls a wife and a huge career change (tell you about that later)

Reactions: Wavebb
What confuses me is Urban's response:

If he knew and told OSU Administration about the 2015 incident, but didn't fire him until 2018. Why all of a sudden was it a problem? I mean his claim right now is that he lied to the media, but not to his bosses about the situation. Even if true, then why wait 3 years to fire a guy for an action you knew about in 2015?

Reactions: Hwy17
Good point, but I'm pretty sure hhe stays. The Board of Regents won't want to upset the applecart and make themselves look bad.

Update: The Board of Trustees met in front of media at a public meeting earlier today. At present, the 20 members are meeting behind closed doors to discuss the full investigative findings, then plan to deliver a recommendation to President Drake re: Urban Meyer.

The President has stated that once a determination is made regarding Meyer, the University will make everything a matter of public record.

I would assume this means publication of the full investigative report, a copy of the Board of Trustees written recommendation, and a detailed statement by the President regarding his decision as to how to resolve matters.

Nu'Trelle is NOT privy to any details of Meyer's alledged wrongdoings because he no longer stays closely abreast of OSU football, but logically, it would seem Meyer could be found guilty of only three types of wrongdoings:

1. Violation of statutory law.

2. Violation of an NCAA rule or standard.

3. Violation of a term or condition of his contract.

When Jim Tressel was fired, we (alumni) made one thing very clear to our Board of Trustees. We insisted that they place the Athletic Department under much stricter control. We even went so far as to suggest a policy of "zero tolerance" toward any player or coach who was convicted of a crime, violated an NCAA rule, or refused to uphold the standards of the University. We did so primarily because we were completely disgusted by indescretion within our football and basketball programs.

As Alumni, we're proud of our school. It's one of the greatest places of higher learning on Earth. Thugs and criminals should have no right to walk our campus, let alone represent the school in an extra-curricular activity. The Board got the message.

Therefore, if Meyer is found to be guilty of any of the above listed violations, I would expect our Board of Trustees to recommend that he be terminated. If so, I would fully expect President Drake to accept their recommendation.

Meyer will get time served and continue coaching the next day... My guess.

Found in the Detroit Free Press:

An amendment to Urban Meyer’s contract, announced in April, (2018) requires him to "promptly report" any known violations of Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy, which includes intimate violence, to the university’s Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Athletics. The clause specifically cites violations involving "any student, faculty or staff," and it classifies a "known violation" as a "violation or an allegation of a violation of Title IX that (Meyer) is aware of or has reasonable cause to believe is taking place or may have taken place."

Also, the violation of a contractual rule or policy does not mean the offender MUST be terminated. Apparently, suspension or other punitive measures could be mandated.

If Meyer is found to have broken a policy or condition of his contract, the Board will probably be charged with the responsibility of determining how egregious the error. This will give them some a degree of latitude.

We learn something new everyday.

And peezy could be right ... which is certainly not an everyday occurrence!

I did not know of that but it further solidifies my thought that he will get "suspended" but will have time served and go right back to coaching.

I did not know of that but it further solidifies my thought that he will get "suspended" but will have time served and go right back to coaching.
Suspension could be the resolution. Length of same would probably be recommended by the Board and ultimately decided by the President .

Nu'Trelle is neutral on Meyer. If he has made, or ever does make, an egregious error, he should be axed. Thus far, he seems to have been compliant in his obligations to the University. Plus, both he and his wife have done a great deal to help raise charitable contributions for one of our University's most defining accomplishments, The James Cancer Center. I would think that the Board would also take that into consideration.

As for people who wonder why a college HC should have to involve himself in what takes place between two grown adults in the privacy of their own home, Meyer is under no obligation to try to solve domestic abuse problems, but he is obviously under very stringent rules when it comes to reporting anything he has heard, even it's something based only hearsay.

Folks, in 2018 we live in a litigious society. Lawyers and the ACLU run this place. Politicians and government officials are merely along for the ride. Citizens like me and you need to live in fear. For example, Nu'Trelle wouldn't even think of going out on the water and trying to keep a fish. You need to have a Philadelphia lawyer on board to figure out the Florida Wildlife regulations.

So can you be fired for not filling out the right form in time if you overhear that someone you know allegedly slapped his/her spouse? Hell yes you can!

On the other hand, if you live were born in Haiti, entered the U.S. with no documentation or had your Visa expire, then commit felonies, serve time, get captured by I.C.E. and tagged for deportation 4 different times, do you have a problem? Probably not much of one.

If you're being held in Sarasota after any number of serious offenses, a judge will release you back into society if you "agree to take your medications". Then you'll get to come back to Lee County, get into yet another altercation, strong-arm a weapon away from the Ft. Myers policeman who responds, indiscriminately decide to shoot him in the head.

A good 29 year man who served the needs of his community for not that much money died 8 days later. The heathen who murdered him will be protected by the ACLU and bleeding heart liberals until he day he dies of old age. Hopefully, he will never be released to do any further harm.

If they find him guilty and sentence him to death, forget about seeing that happen unless you're 35 or younger. Our penal system is so badly broken, we've got people on Death Row at Raiford who've been there for 30 years or more. Who's to blame? Not Urban Meyer.

Reactions: Hwy17 and Wavebb
From ESPN.com:

Ohio State has suspended coach Urban Meyer through Sept. 2 without pay. Meyer can rejoin the program after Sept. 2, but will not be allowed to coach in the team's first three games.

Additionally, OSU athletic director Gene Smith has also been suspended without pay from Aug. 31 until Sept. 16.

The moves come after a two-week investigation into allegations that Meyer and others mishandled domestic assault accusations made against former assistant coach Zach Smith.

"Although neither Urban Meyer nor Gene Smith condoned or covered up the alleged domestic abuse by Zach Smith, they failed to take sufficient management action relating to Zach Smith's misconduct and retained an Assistant Coach who was not performing as an appropriate role model for OSU student-athletes," the school said in a statement. "Permitting such misconduct to continue is not consistent with the values of the University and reflects poorly on Coach Meyer, Athletic Director Smith, and the University. Their handling of this matter did not exhibit the kind of leadership and high standards that we expect of our Athletic Director, Head Coach, Assistant Coaches and all on the football staff."

Meyer will miss the fifth-ranked Buckeyes' games against Oregon State, Rutgers and No. 16 TCU.

More than 60,000 emails and 10,000 text messages were reviewed in addition to media reports, police reports, court filings, employee contracts and relevant OSU rules and policies.

Ohio State placed Meyer on paid administrative leave Aug. 1, shortly after Courtney Smith, Zach Smith's ex-wife, said in an interview with Stadium that she believed Meyer and others at the football program knew that her ex-husband was abusing her in 2015 and failed to do anything to stop it. Meyer fired Zach Smith on July 23 after a pattern of past allegations of abuse came to light in a report by college football reporter Brett McMurphy.

Meyer initially said he was previously unaware of any domestic issues between the Smiths that occurred during the time that Zach Smith was a coach at Ohio State. He backtracked shortly after being placed on leave, saying instead that he misspoke when first answering questions about Smith and that he followed proper protocol in reporting the incident in 2015.

Nu'Trelle's 60 second take on things:

These are the givens:
1. Very few people will be happy.
2. Those who despise OSU football will scream "slap on the wrist".
3. Feminists will probably hit the streets nationwide to march in protest against OSU.
4. OSU football loyalists will drink even harder on Saturdays until Meyer is reinstated.
5. The OSU Marching Band will play to standing ovations both home and away.

The key fact that most people will never realize:
When the dust settles and the suspensions are served, Urban Meyer and Gene Smith will each be permitted to climb back into the batter's box. When they do, both will have two strike counts on them ... and as sure as water runs downhill and the sun comes up in the East, both men will be fully aware that their next misstep will be their last.

* "Folks, in 2018 we live in a litigious society. Lawyers and the ACLU run this place. Citizens like me and you need to live in fear."

* "On the other hand, if you live were born in Haiti, entered the U.S. with no documentation or had your Visa expire, then commit felonies, serve time, get captured by I.C.E. and tagged for deportation 4 different times, do you have a problem?"

* "If you're being held in Sarasota after any number of serious offenses, a judge will release you back into society if you "agree to take your medications". Then you'll get to come back to Lee County, get into yet another altercation, strong-arm a weapon away from the Ft. Myers policeman who responds, indiscriminately decide to shoot him in the head."

* "A good 29 year man who served the needs of his community for not that much money died 8 days later. The heathen who murdered him will be protected by the ACLU and bleeding heart liberals until he day he dies of old age." .

We're to understand that a black man (Haitian), with mental issues (medications) and zero wealth, that receives free competent legal advice (ACLU) is somehow against the very values that this nation was founded upon. One would surmise that being an illegal immigrant in no way afforded him any non legal advantages over those of a US citizen. Surely the law was followed, and if not then why wasn't it. People who live in fear like yourself (your 2nd edited sentence above) should never leave the house. We both currently reside in the south and should be aware of it's despicable history of vigilante justice without the benefit of due process. Old man, you're still a mental dinosaur. Like you, I feel for the the unfortunate officer and his family. It's a tragic story. Maybe if you were to get off your a$$ and gather up other scared white men and get a populous movement going you could vote in new laws that reflected those of our glorious past. Trump speaks of words like that everyday. Get out there guy....help make America great again.

Old man, did we have to go there...

Simpley shocking about Urban - I wonder if Michigan finally beats him this year, if that will be strike 3?

I'm living in the times of the "Tefelon Don." Nothing sticks to people if you have enough money, great lawyer and wins...

We're to understand that a black man (Haitian), with mental issues (medications) and zero wealth, that receives free competent legal advice (ACLU) is somehow against the very values that this nation was founded upon..
In advance to other readers: Dan and I are never going to agree on anything that has to do with this issue, but I will make one reply to clarify my personal thoughts to other readers. Here goes.

Dan, you went to the race card right out of the gate. Not surprising. Not in the least. You've done it on previous occasions. Then and now, with zero justification.

Take the time to Google "Kevin Foster murderer". You'll find out that he used a 12 guage shotgun to murder the band director at Riverdale H.S. , Mark Schwebes, on the night of April 30, 1996. An accomplice knocked on Schwebes door and when Schwebes answered, Foster shot him point blank. Once in the face. Once in the groin. He died instantly. He was 32 years old.

Foster was arrested, given due process, represented by a defense attorney paid for at the State of Florida's expense, and was found guilty. Over two years later, on June 17, 1998, Judge Isaac Anderson sentenced Foster to death saying, "By your own actions, you have not only forfeited your right to walk among us, you have also forfeited your right to exist."

Nu'Trelle was seated in a Lee County Courtroom less than 20 feet from Foster when the sentence was read. Foster didn't blink or flinch. Nor did ever express one word of regret for his cold blooded act.

As far as I'm concerned, Foster is pure evil. He doesn't have the ability to express remorse because he's not one of us. He is an animal. But justice was served. Foster would be exterminated and burn in hell. So I thought as I walked to the parking lot.

But that was over 8,100 days ago and Foster still hasn't forfeited his right to exist. To the contrary, the citizens of the State of Florida have had to keep him housed, fed, clothed and provided with medical treatment for more than 20 years and, to my knowledge, not one death warrant has ever been signed by any Florida Governor.

20 years running and our criminal justice system is so screwed up we can't even make up our minds to carry out justice that was meted out 100% in accordance with our own statutes.

Our criminal justice system is badly broken. It's been a farce for years. And our penal system is right in lock step. We can't even keep career criminals in jail. And the same condition exists in many other states. Every law-abiding Citizen in the U.S. - regardless of race, creed, or color - should be completely outraged.

I'll let Daytona Dan get back to you on the color of Kevin Foster's skin. Maybe it'll make a difference to Dan. It certainly doesn't matter in the least to me.

In advance to other readers: Dan and I are never going to agree on anything that has to do with this issue, but I will make one reply to clarify my personal thoughts to other readers. Here goes.

Dan, you went to the race card right out of the gate. Not surprising. Not in the least. You've done it on previous occasions. Then and now, with zero justification.

Take the time to Google "Kevin Foster murderer". You'll find out that he used a 12 guage shotgun to murder the band director at Riverdale H.S. , Mark Schwebes, on the night of April 30, 1996. An accomplice knocked on Schwebes door and when Schwebes answered, Foster shot him point blank. Once in the face. Once in the groin. He died instantly. He was 32 years old.

Foster was arrested, given due process, represented by a defense attorney paid for at the State of Florida's expense, and was found guilty. Over two years later, on June 17, 1998, Judge Isaac Anderson sentenced Foster to death saying, "By your own actions, you have not only forfeited your right to walk among us, you have also forfeited your right to exist."

Nu'Trelle was seated in a Lee County Courtroom less than 20 feet from Foster when the sentence was read. Foster didn't blink or flinch. Nor did ever express one word of regret for his cold blooded act.

As far as I'm concerned, Foster is pure evil. He doesn't have the ability to express remorse because he's not one of us. He is an animal. But justice was served. Foster would be exterminated and burn in hell. So I thought as I walked to the parking lot.

But that was over 8,100 days ago and Foster still hasn't forfeited his right to exist. To the contrary, the citizens of the State of Florida have had to keep him housed, fed, clothed and provided with medical treatment for more than 20 years and, to my knowledge, not one death warrant has ever been signed by any Florida Governor.

20 years running and our criminal justice system is so screwed up we can't even make up our minds to carry out justice that was meted out 100% in accordance with our own statutes.

Our criminal justice system is badly broken. It's been a farce for years. And our penal system is right in lock step. We can't even keep career criminals in jail. And the same condition exists in many other states. Every law-abiding Citizen in the U.S. - regardless of race, creed, or color - should be completely outraged.

I'll let Daytona Dan get back to you on the color of Kevin Foster's skin. Maybe it'll make a difference to Dan. It certainly doesn't matter in the least to me.
True you and I will never agree on anything outside of a football stadium. I'm a real person of flesh and blood. You on the other hand are a figment of someone's imagination. You're make believe, FAKE NEWS, never spotted by any Flavarsity poster in over 15yrs. The Wizard behind the curtain. I call BS. Outside of your little story on the immigrant murderer, I no nothing of the case, ZERO. The enemy of all free Americans are the bleeding hearts (myself) and groups like the ACLU. Might as well throw in the Southern Poverty Law Center too. Hold the righteous indignation, please. I took the liberty of that assumption. Your sad story was only to reinforce a political agenda. Save it Neut, I ain't buying regardless of who eats it up. #thebadguy

You on the other hand are a figment of someone's imagination. You're make believe, FAKE NEWS, never spotted by any Flavarsity poster in over 15yrs.

I am not getting involved in this or taking any sides... I would only like to point out that the tooth fairy once attempted to make a bet with me and since I did not believe the tooth fairy was real or could actually pay up if the bet did not go in the Fairy'se favor it was called off... The end.

Outside of your little story on the immigrant murderer, I no nothing of the case, ZERO.
No problem. Click here for everything you need to know about accused cop killer Wisnet Desmaret.

Copies of court documents that appear in the article only pertain to those arrests made after Desmaret turned 18. His juvenile records cannot be released because that, of course, would be a violation of his civil rights.

On July 19th of this year, Desmaret appeared before Judge Stephen Walker at a bond hearing in Sarasota County. Citing Desmaret's extensive criminal record and recurrent history of "mental incompetency", an Assistant State Attorney argued for a $1,500 bond.

Walker ultimately refused and granted Desmaret a $0 bond conditional pre-trial release on cocaine possession charges. He was ordered not to leave Sarasota County and scheduled to next appear before Walker on August 16th.

He mortally wounded FMPD officer Adam Jobbers-Miller in Lee County just 2 days later.

Think about it, Dan. A lousy $1,500 bond order would have undoubtedly saved a man's life.

But that didn't happen. The officer died because with live in State that is hopelessly overrun with misguided degenerates in the same mold as Wisnet Desmaret. Our legal system has no hope of coping effectively due to the sheer volume of crime that's committed.

The police go out and do their level best to clean up our streets, but they're fighting a losing battle. Like Desmaret, many of the people they arrest are never even prosecuted and brought to trial. They're released, often with little or no bail, and are then free to re-arm, walk the streets and look for their next victim.

Our criminal justice system is a complete joke and innocent people are paying the price.

So, help me out here - No where have I ever seen if Zach Smith was convicted of Domestic Battery, only charged with. People get arrested for Domestic Battery all the time because the policy of every law enforcement agency in the US is to arrest and let the court figure it all out. In fact a person can be arrested just because she accuses him. And believe me it happens all the time. Ask any cop or defense attorney. A couple gets into a pissing match and its whoever calls the cops first. So did Zach Smith beat his wife up? Did he put his wife in the hospital? Did he break any of her bones, inflict any bruises or lacerations? Or, did he just grab her? Did he slap her face? The court considers all this and why so many of these cases are thrown out or the accused gets a diversion program, such as anger management.

So, help me out here - No where have I ever seen if Zach Smith was convicted of Domestic Battery...
According to the terms and conditions of Meyer's amended contract (revised last April), he must report "in timely fashion" any and all allegations of domestic violence or sexual abuse to the Title IX Office if an athlete, coach or other staff member is involved. The alleged violator doesn't have to be convicted. He/she doesn't even have to be charged

Every school in the Big Ten now has a clause in their Head Coach's contract. OSU's reporting requirements are somewhat more stringent than most.

Here's a link to an article that spells everything out.

So, help me out here - No where have I ever seen if Zach Smith was convicted of Domestic Battery, only charged with. People get arrested for Domestic Battery all the time because the policy of every law enforcement agency in the US is to arrest and let the court figure it all out. In fact a person can be arrested just because she accuses him. And believe me it happens all the time. Ask any cop or defense attorney. A couple gets into a pissing match and its whoever calls the cops first. So did Zach Smith beat his wife up? Did he put his wife in the hospital? Did he break any of her bones, inflict any bruises or lacerations? Or, did he just grab her? Did he slap her face? The court considers all this and why so many of these cases are thrown out or the accused gets a diversion program, such as anger management.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around does it make a sound?

According to the terms and conditions of Meyer's amended contract (revised last April), he must report "in timely fashion" any and all allegations of domestic violence or sexual abuse to the Title IX Office if an athlete, coach or other staff member is involved. The alleged violator doesn't have to be convicted. He/she doesn't even have to be charged

Every school in the Big Ten now has a clause in their Head Coach's contract. OSU's reporting requirements are somewhat more stringent than most.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around does it make a sound?[/QUOTE}

So he gets held accountable on what somebody else is accused of doing, whether they actually did anything or not? I suppose Urban agreed to those terms in his contract. Sends a bad message because today society will start demanding this become law of the land. I am a big believer in punishment should fit the crime. Everyone now wants the book thrown at the person they don't like for the slightest error, mistake or shortcoming or even disagreeing. Its like the movie Minority Report were we are going to have the thought police.

To Hwy 17:

When all of this started, Nu'Trelle had never heard the name Zach Smith. So he was totally in the dark. He has since updated himself.

Intense scrutiny of Urban Meyer basically started on Big 10 Media Day when a reporter asked Urban a question about the alleged domestc abuse problems between Smith and his ex-wife. Urban just plain "lied" with his answer.

The press quickly uncovered enough facts to prove that Meyer's answer couldn't have been true. Urban's problems then began in earnest.

Ohio State then hired a team of independent investigators to get to the bottom of all matters concerning Urban and Zach Smith. Lots of red flags came to light. It became glaringly apparent that Urban had ignored any number of indiscretions by Smith.

Bottom-line: Smith should have been fired before July 23rd. I would have fired him. You probably would have fired him. Choctaw_fan definitely would have fired him. Silver King would have too.

Urban Meyer, who's being paid $7.6M a year to head the football program should have fired him and, if not, AD Gene Smith should have fired Meyer and Smith both.

In truth, OSU's President Dr. Drake probably should have fired all of them because Zach Smith had a long history of doing things that were not consistent with the core values of Ohio State University and both Meyer and Gene Smith kept looking the other way.

There's plenty of into on the web, but that's Nu'Trelle synopsis.

Footnote: Why did Urban give Zach Smith so much rope?

Zach Smith's grandfather is former OSU Head Coach Earle Bruce, the man who was like a second father to Meyer, the man who mentored him and gave him his start in coaching.

Smith was probably more like a God-son to Meyer than anything else. He first joined Meyer on the UF staff in 2009 when he was only 23 and still wet behind the ears.

Footnote #2: Daytona Dan questions

In less than 30 minutes, Nu'Trelle is gotten over a dozen e-mails that all axed the same basic question, "Forget about what you, Hwy 17, Choctaw_fan, and Silver King would have did, what Board God Dan in Daytona Dan might do?"

Nu'Trelle's best guess is this:

There's never any telling what Daytona Dan might do. He usually stay up late, so he might be asleep. If he's awake at this time, Nu'Trelle expect that he would be in one of three places:

1. At Red Robin meeting with jambun82.
2. At a shoe store shopping for a new pair of elavator Nike's.
3. In Volusia County ACLU headquarters talking to officials about Nu'Trelle.

If he signed his name to a contract that has those terms in it then why are we defending him... Read your contract don't agree? Don't sign.

If he signed his name to a contract that has those terms in it then why are we defending him... Read your contract don't agree? Don't sign.
You must be kidding ... Dan in Daytona signed a contract? Can you post a PDF of it? Nu'Trelle will contack Morgan & Morgan and get them workin on it. :rolleyes:

To peezy: Now for the actual answer to your question.

Meyer probably signed his present contract (and also the amendment to it last April) because he dearly loves money and all those things that $7.6 million of it can buy.

I would have signed. Wavebb would have signed. You probably would have signed too. Well maybe you wouldn't. Dan in Daytona has always said you're pretty well off.

Urban didn't look very enthusiastic at the press conference late Thursday night. Even though he had pocketed another $20, 821. 92 for the day, he looked like a kid who had been taken behind a barn by his old man, had his pants pulled down, and gotten his a$$ paddled until it was beet red.

Obviously, the Board of Trustees did not wind up recommending that Meyer be fired. They met for 10 hours. Probably the last half of the meeting was spent trying to reach a consensus on how long to suspend him.

After making a their decision, they called the President, AD Gene Smith, and Urban into the room and explained that Meyer would be suspended without pay from Friday, August 24th to September 2nd, plus Saturday, September 8th and Saturday, September, 15th. AD Smith would be suspended from August 31st through September 16th.

Urban's newly imposed unpaid suspension means that he'll have to forfeit upwards of $229,041 (Note: this figure has been edited from that in the original draft. Thanks, peezy) worth of those little green slips of paper that have a President's picture on them.

As he sat at the head table during the press conference, Urban appeared to lack focus and repeatedly asked reporters to restate their questions. It was obvious to many that he had refused to take ownership of the outright lies he was guilty of telling.

He mentioned his love for Ohio State in several answers and also offered several apologies to "Buckeye Nation" for not "handling things as well as I could have".

So the press conference ended and we were supposed to believe that Urban was the innocent victim of a sporadic episode of memory loss due to taking prescription medications which caused him to forget a few small details at the podium on Big 10 Media Day.

Urban's demeanor and lack of compassion was laughable. The press conference was a fail. His comments didn't wash with the press, nor did they wash with other members of the media. His explanations certainly didn't wash with advocates for the victims of domestic abuse.

The only thing that OSU alums could do was watch in total disbelief when a prominent National sports reporter asked Meyer if he had any specific comment for Zach's ex-wife, Courtney Smith. Urban's morbidly stupid reply was this, "I'm just sorry that we're in this situation today."

Even a person with a person with an average I.Q. would have been smart enough offer something such as , "I would like to say to Courtney that I'm sorry I didn't do a more thorough job of reporting what I knew about alleged problems within her marriage to Zach and ask that she try to find it in her heart to forgive me. My wife Shelley and I care a great deal for her."

But Urban couldn't come close. Hell, he couldn't even say the woman's name after the reporter set him up with a perfect lob for an uncontested slam dunk at the end of the press conference.

If their standards are to be believed, Urban Meyer is both an embarrassment to the NCAA and the institution that employs him for $7.6.mil a year. Until he can stand up like a man and honestly own up to the fact that he lied and did so to protect Zach Smith, he should stay on suspension. No contact with any player, coach or staff member. No practice sessions. No games. And certainly no pay.

For the record, this comes from a kid born into poverty in Columbus, OH who worked and went to school at OSU for 8 years to earn his undergrad degree. Ohio State gave him a world class education for peanuts and that was the springboard he needed to succeed in life. He plans to endow a scholarship so that once every 4 years a poverty-stricken kid from Columbus can be given the gift of free books and tuition to help in the pursuit of their undergraduate degree.

Unlike the guy who's being paid $7.6 M a year. I'm someone who actually loves the University and will forever be in it's debt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wavebb
My understanding was it was not unpaid suspension and that after this 1st week he can coach during the week just not during the game... which is a little closer to what I said LOL.

Also, I have met old urbie.. I don't have his number or anything but a colleague of mine was a DB for him when he was DB coach at ND

So when was the incident, before or after the contract? No Coach nor any other person should turn their head away. These Domestic Violence laws were setup like it is because after a police officer left a domestic violence call the women, and trust me it was happening a lot, would be beaten or even killed because she or somebody else called the law. Some families sued the officers and the department because they were in fact liable. The Domestic Violence Laws were forced on each state by the Feds because the Feds told them if they did not have a Domestic Violence Laws in place the Feds were going to cut all grants to the all departments. The law was intended as a cool down period. I do not believe every person should be arrested but once a person touch’s another person then there are issues at hand. But too many men, the majority men, has gone to jail even when they have touched a person. But the police has learned many women are calling just to get the man out of the house mai my whenever they are cheating on the spouse or boyfriend. So if the woman doesn’t have any marks then nobody will go to jail. If the woman has marks on her body you best believe it going to jail. If both ppl had marks then one of two things will happen. The officers will determine who the aggressor was if they cannot figure out who the aggressor is then both will go to jail. Whenever I worked at the Hardee S.O. Ive seen first hand a father and son come to jail. The father had enough of his sons BS so he put a whooping on him, the son also cane for fighting back!!!!

Urban Meyer is responsible for the actions of his players on and off the field IMHO. Whenever he was at Florida his players got away with a lot and NOTHING was done to Urban about the crap that went in there. I’m glad to see somebody is finally making him responsible or at least partially responsible for the actions of his players mainly when he knew about the incident and he did not report it to the college nor NCAA!!!

Reactions: peezy28
My understanding was it was not unpaid suspension and that after this 1st week he can coach during the week just not during the game... which is a little closer to what I said LOL.
Yeah, you were closer to it than I was. His unpaid suspension comes to 11 days. I revised the dollar amount in the post.
Also, I have met old urbie.. I don't have his number or anything but a colleague of mine was a DB for him when he was DB coach at ND
I've never met Meyer, but had a convo at a meet and greet one night with Tressel during his first season at OSU. Tressel came off as one of the nicest people I'd ever met. With a nice smile, great eye contact and reassuring nods of his head, you sensed that every word he said was gospel. He was wasting his time as a football coach. He could have made billions with the right scheme. He probably could have made Bernie Madoff look like a piker. Tressel could have charmed the skin off a snake.

Years later when all was said and done and the Sports Illustrated article came out, it became readily apparent that he had basically been running a con all his life. But he was without question the smoothest con artist I ever met. When it came to running a good con, Meyer couldn't have carried Tressel's clipboard around.

... when (Urban) knew about the incident and he did not report it to the college nor NCAA!!!
In the 2015 incident, the one that Urban was asked about on Media Day, Courtney Smith had emailed photos of her injuries to Urban's wife. Urban made AD Smith aware, but the allegations of abuse never went any further. That was problem one. Problem two was when Urban denied there were any problems in 2015. Problem three was when Urban asked the OSU Director of Football Operations if his cellphone could be confiscated as evidence and, if so, was there any way o delete older messages. When investigators checked Urban's phone, only messages from the past 12 months were found. Everything else was gone.

Reactions: peezy28
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT