ADVERTISEMENT

Unbalanced Power-I

The.Hammer, you'll have to forgive me. Is there a "drawing tool" on this website I don't know about?

I thought it was as easy as moving the Xs and Os around here, but you are correct, that doesn't work. Talk us through it.....

Bang it offense = Apopka. Single Wing right out of the 30's. If it works, it works.

The.Hammer, please don't take this the wrong way...however, if you need to bone up on the offense that is part of the discussion, might I direct you to google or the search engine of your choice? Until you understand the offense that is part of the discussion, perhaps you are not actually meant to be part of said discussion. With the level of education you are professing to lack on this matter, you discussing it with me is "like a kindergartener saying something to a college kid..." (#bortles2015)

What "sets the Darlington's and Corky Rogers' and Bill Castle's apart from the crowd" is a stable of athletes year after year that most schools don't get. Heck they could run the swinging gate and win.

What "sets the Darlington's and Corky Rogers' and Bill Castle's apart from the crowd" is a stable of athletes year after year that most schools don't get. Heck they could run the swinging gate and win.

What impresses me more are the ones who take a bunch of average at best players and still wins.

(This 2-pager courtesy of Phac Nam)
...well, Hwy17, which ball coaches do you have in mind?

I have been to the Punta, but only on a couple occasions. Beautiful part of the state!

(This 2-pager courtesy of Phac Nam)
...well, Hwy17, which ball coaches do you have in mind?

There's a bunch of them out there, but off the top of my head, take someone like Charlie Tate, solid track record even though he hasn't won the big one. He wins even in years when there's not a lot of talent.

Charlotte plays with 140lb MLBs, 165 lb guards, peppered with a freak once in a while, and we played in classifications for years with top 5 nationally ranked teams (STA, BTW, the Wood). Binky Waldrop (4A Coach of the year in '02: first West Coast team to beat STA, and we beat BTW and Manatee last time we played them) and his staff have never won a a State title, but he coached all my 3 of mine and they wouldn't change their experience for a state title anywhere else - they played with kids they grew up with. The best we've done here is Regional Titles twice, my team and my oldest son's.

To me a great coach and staff win year in and year out when they're squeezing blood out of turnips. I also look at coaches like Sam Sirinnai and even Peacock at Venice as HCs with long time, loyal assistants who win that way.

Not always. I've seen small speedy teams who run the ball very well by running counters and traps out of a number of different formations. Even with a small offensive line.

Coach Wilkinson ran maybe 6 plays in it's winning streak for most games with a spattering of D1 athletes. Wing T is best with a fast offense and a few big linemen in the right place.

I might add that you want to have a great defense also if you're going to have a chance at state.

Hwy17 and Silver King, those are the kind of posts that Phac Nam LOVES reading about! Thanks for sharing those stories...

I bet Bolles is as impressive as Apopka getting off the bus. I don't know the Bolles program except through reputation. Same with Lakeland. But I know a bit about the Blue Darters. Other than Martez Ivey and Chandler "Dewey" Cox, they haven't had impressive looking athletes. They always have speed, no question, but in almost every playoff game they play, they are out athleted.

Then, "I bet Apopka is as unimpressive as Bolles during stretching" might be a better way to convey your thoughts on the matter.

Nu'Trelle never gonna live long enough to forget the night Apopka dismantled the mighty Northwestern Bulls during the Fog Bowl at FSU in 2001.

During warm-ups the Bulls were laughing at the Blue Darters. That wrapped-up right after the National Anthem. Bull defenders looked like they was wearing blindfolds. They musta thought little guys was droppin out the sky to block them.

Don't remember if the world famous "Why the mo f ----------n D not workin??" coach was with the Bulls that night, but if he was, he musta had a hemorrhage.

It's a miracle the Bulls had a way back to the 305. Darlington coulda swiped their bus if he wanted to.

2007, I was watching the game at Bolles when Mt. Dora came in there...Dogs wound up beating the Hurricanes 62-14. That was in the midst of the Bolles/Sumter/MadCo wars and I had to see the Dogs for myself...that night, like you said, Corky could have had his way with everybody in the place...

Corky and Slick Rick are like Bum Phillips said about Don Shula: "He could take his'n and beat you'rn and then he could take you'rn and beat his'n..."

A problem you have today is getting kids to buy into an offense other than the spread. As a coach you want to win, be it I formation, Pro Set or Double Slot. Unfortunately many times you have parents that are convinced that it's not only winning, but winning a certain way. This is especially the case with the sudden popularity of 7 on 7. It takes a strong willed coach with thick skin to run anything other than the spread these days. What's funny is you have fans saying "you can't win with option football.. kids are too big and fast".. yet you run zone read and it's based on similar option principles as the old wishbone. God forbid if your are a coach today and even suggest running wishbone and option football! Fans should remember.. for every big fast kid on D you can put someone equally big and fast on O.

No question, sic...campus, reputation, etc...I'd go one step farther and say very often the fellas in stripes seemingly have a man-crush on CCR...all of those "intangibles" may not be deserved, but they certainly have been earned - no one can argue the Bolles mystique has carried the day many, many times for many, many years.

*disclaimer: Phac Nam is not a Bolles man (heck, I don't even own a blazer) nor a Bolles apologist...just an old guy who has seen THE Bolles school(s) for many years...sooner or later, you've got to give the devil his due...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT