ADVERTISEMENT

That Targeting Rule HAS TO GO!

Choctaw_fan

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2003
When a offensive player has the ball and a defensive player tries to tackle him, how can that be targeting? A defensive player would do the same thing in any situation. It's illegal to hit them low so how does the defender legally tackle?

I have see this penalty called way too many times this year and most of the time the defender was only doing what they were taught to do. There was no intent to hurt the offensive player.

Unfortunately, it is at the discretion of the officials to call and interpret the defender's intent. This rule has to go! It's ruining college football. If the purpose of the rule is to stop injuries, stop playing the game!

its purpose is so officals can decide the outcome of games since they are employees of ncaa and they want only certain teams to win, so yeah that rule has got to go

Was that the Gator game you were referring to? 2nd consecutive week Florida has had that call go against them and lose the player for next weeks game in the process too. Im biased obviously because I was pulling for the Gators, but trying to be objective with both calls I thought the officials blew both calls last week and this week.

Go Canes Go!

I was watching the Gators and totally forgot about it being called last week also. I've seen itcalled in many games this year and always its a fine line between a great stop and targeting. How can anyone call this foul correctly when the guidelines are so fuzzy? You can't read the defender's mind to know what he was trying to do.

So, realistically, you think it's a good idea to allow goon players to target the head and neck of playmakers in order to remove the goon's barrier to success.

Yeah no conspiracy against the gates I see it in every game these days. Most times the officials get it wrong IMO but there is a purpose to it... They are being really hard on this penalty in hopes folks won't even go for the upper body... The adverse affect will lead to poor tackling more knee injuries and of course the pussification of football.

If you watch enough football and get to see players participate in multiple numbers of games, you will invariably notice that some players have an abnormally high incident-rate of being involved in plays where blows to the head/neck area occur, while other players are involved on a very infrequent basis, if at all.

Shots to the head are nothing new in sports. It's dangerous in football, even more so in baseball. When Nu'Trelle played, we took care of business without involvement from referees. Once identified, headhunters got hurt. It was as simple as that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT