ADVERTISEMENT

Tennis vs. Baseball (slightly off-topic)

Neutral 0bserver

Sep 6, 2002
It's probably happen in tennis before, but never on a bigger stage. Emulating the best out-of-control baseball managers of all time, tennis superstar Serena Williams had herself a complete melt-down. Lou Pinella must have been stunned. Earl Weaver must have been jealously spinning in his grave.

In a fit of total rage, Serena busted her racket in two and shouted to the chair person (i.e., tennis umpire-in-chief) that he was a "Thief".

First, he gave her a warning. She continued. Then he assessed a penalty point. She got even more aggressive. Then he assessed her a one game penalty.

At that point, she threw out all the stops, played her "Woman Card" and ordered him to give her an apology.

Folks, Nu'Trelle been around baseball all his life. He was a catcher. He had to spend at least nine innings three feet away from the home plate umpire. You get to know umpires up close and personal.

Nu'Trelle will tell you this with 100% assurance, there isn't a baseball umpire ever drew a breath who wouldn't have thrown Serena Williams out the game for calling him a thief.

In fack, most baseball umpires would have dislocated a shoulder throwing her a$$ out the stadium.

Nu'Trelle, I don't believe many will debate you on the merits of her being penalized, whats being questioned is that men displaying the same type behavior...(often times with men its worse in as far as the use of profanity), with this particular official have previously been allowed to do so with no penalties being assessed.

Go Canes Go!

Then the people who run the game of tennis need to revamp the way they allow "men" to talk to officials. What she said to the guy was 100% unacceptable.

What the use of having a coach if they can't coach you? And if they aren't allowed to coach you, why allow them in the stands at all. Put some one way looking mesh screens around.

Serena Williams will by out a doubt go down as the greatest female tennis player of all time. She is an athlete at the top of game, but with that being said she has a history of “whining” when she is being out played (which doesn’t happen very often). She was having her “arss” handed to her by the better opponent that day, 6-2 6-4 in a ladies Grand-Slam finale is a wood-shed whooping. Rules are rules, now those rules might need to be addressed (I.e. having cramps in the 2nd Quarter every time a team gets a first down...), but for the time being they are the rules. Suck it up Serena you were going to lose, but you still got plenty of Titles to chase...

Reactions: Wavebb
Nah, she may arguably be the greatest female athlete, but she ain't no Sweeeeeeeeeeeet Looooouuuuuuuu! Not even close. He's out of her league.

They have treated her poorly since her return with the ridiculously low rankings. I think she is now dealing with whether she wants to be a full-time mother or a full-time tennis player at the top of her game. It looks like she can't do both.

I was very shocked at her behavior, but, I have seen so much worse from McEnroe and Connors. People forgot how nasty they were to the umpires. I heard a comment today on TV that she probably could not hear what was being said because of the crowd noise. That doesn't excuse her behavior but may help explain it. Maybe it's time to put women umpires on the womens' games.

McEnroe and Conners played when there wasn’t replay available. If they played today they wouldn’t have been as verbally nasty towards the umpires.

Just to clarify Nu'Trelle's comments: The title of the post was "Tennis vs. Baseball".

Nu'Trelle is not a tennis fan. He saw and heard Serena's meltdown on SportsCenter. If her male counterparts display even more contempt toward tennis officials, Nu'Trelle will take your word for it.

Nu'Trelle's point was that as soon as a tennis player (male, female, transgender, or any of the other 37+/- possible combinations we have in 2018) called a baseball umpire a "Thief", the tournament would have ended right then and there.

That type of horse$hit doesn't cut it in baseball. Serena's a$$ would have been launched. No further discussion necessary.

And Major League Baseball (the governing body) would have backed the ump 100 percent.

I agree. But unlike baseball she doesn’t have a plate to kick dirt around or can’t chest bump the umpire. So can she squirt him with her water bottle? Lay towels out over top of the out-of-bounds line? Punch the ball boy or girl? What can she do? Stomping around and pouting just won’t cut it...

Lol @ Nu’ Trelle and now look at this https://dailycaller.com/2018/09/12/tennis-umpires-reportedly-considering-serena-williams-boycott/

Some funny crap if you ask me,and makes me wonder if she just recently had lunch with John McEnroe!!!!!

She may invoke that T.O.M. is at fault for her outrage…. T.O.M = TIME OF the MONTH

btw read "Williams exploded on chair umpire Carlos Ramos during the finals match in the U.S. Open because he gave her multiple penalties throughout the match. Ramos gave Williams a warning for receiving coaching, a point penalty for smashing her racket and then another point penalty for verbal abuse. " i guess we know where Carlos from this board ended up at!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wavebb
Notes to Silver King about the "Lou Pinella Tribute Video" link that he posted.

What you have to remember about this footage is that in probably 99 percent of it, an umpire had already launched Lou. The footage basically showed Lou running up the totals on his fines.

An article on Wikipedia listed Lou as being ejected from 63 MLB games. Earl Weaver was third with 94. The all-time leader? Bobby Cox with 161.

Cox was an interesting study. He rarely ran out of a dugout. He usually walked (he eventually had to have both knees replaced). He would start slow and generally the discussions would drag on.

When Bobby finally got the thumb, he often had his arms folded in front of his chest with one hand over his mouth to defeat lip-readers. Nu'Trelle have to think a great many of his ejections probably had to do wiff an "unfortunate choice of words".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT